Check List When Storing Your Toy For A Long Period.

Toobigboat2014

I was wondering is there a check list when storing your toy for a few months? I'm planning on not using my toy til summer. Storing it in my back yard.

My thought is to drain all my tanks. Then use jacks to lift my toys up cause my friend told me that the tires can go bad.

I'm wondering if I should drain the engine oil too?

Should I disconnect my solar panel?

Any tip would greatly appreciated

Drain water and holding tanks, if freezing weather - then winterize water system.

Full tank of gasoline if storing for a few months. If storing for a year or longer, consider draining the gas tank.

Disconnect coach and truck battery (make sure they are fully charged first) If you anticipate freezing, consider storing the batteries inside the house or garage.

Turn off LP tank.

If you have a Maxair vent cover, leave the roof vent open about 1 inch.

Visually inspect for any water leaks once a month or so - deal with them immediately.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Same as above, but one difference... Fill gas tank and use a fuel stabilizer, STA-BIL comes to mind. An empty tank will rust, Sta-bil is good for 1 year.

The previous 2 post are by experts and are the way to go.

However... my first winter, before I had re-worked everything topside, I did the blue tarp thing with cheap bungie cords.

Maintain your battery cablesl. Disconnect them from the battery and clean the posts with steel wool or whatever tool you have for that purpose. When I reconnect I spray the connections with some stuff (leaves red) that I bought at NAPA.

Important... check the connection from the neg terminal to ground on the fender wall of the engine compartment. Mine was loose at first, and made sparks & smoke. Clean and reconnect/spray as needed.

Fuel stabilizer - good stuff.

Also, dust, clean, and vacuum before storage. Open the fridge.

Maybe cover the windshield and protect the wiper blades with whatever. That way the runoff from the painted aluminum won't leave a messy windshield.

Where I live, any vehicle left out for the winter will grow green moss on the north side, so I have to wash it once in a while, even in the winter. Just a thought.

I like to make sure my unit is NOT level - so no water will puddle on top. Also if being left on soft ground I park on boards - nice to cover tires that get direct sunlight so they will last a little longer, (Many RV tires go bad from sun rot versus thread wear).

I would disconnect both batteries & the solar charger unless it is one designed only to top off batteries.

If you have someone who can start the camper & drive it every 3-4 weeks that is better yet.

Might consider covering the openings to the furnace, water heater.etc.