gas cap

hello all,

new to the site. just got a "new" 1986 winnebago Itasca. 22re. showing 98,000. seems to need some tunning. performance seems to be fair from what i read here. will talk more later about the path im taking to getting it running smoothly, and ask alot of questions.

right now im curious about the correct gas cap. after driving i get a fuel vacum. can be heard clicking in charcoal canister. and when fuel cap is removed theres a big draw of air into tank. that same draw happens also when vehicle sits. im assuming this can't be right. the cap looks to be recent replacement. i dont think its vented. will a vented cap be the fix or should i look elsewhere for the problem?

i have a haynes manual and im waiting on a bently that i found on amazon for $11. ive missed several toyota service manuals on ebay but still trying.

hope to hear back soon. thanks in advance, Robert.

had a feeling gas cap was supposed to be non-vented. as far as the charcoal canister, is there a certain way to test it? i would assume that it is a dealer part. anybody ever replace one? whats the cost? i will be replacing the fuel filter this week while i troubleshoot the fuel vacum problem. any tips, tricks ,or concerns on reaching and replacing this fun located filter would be appreciated.

my next step after figuring the fuel issue will be the exhuast manifold gasket and probably the manifold itself as the heat shield is missing and the mounting studs for the sheild are broken off. but thats gonna have to be its own topic. thanks.

Edited by lostinbama2x

The cap is not "normally" vented but at a certain pressure or vacuum it will vent.