Door Rear View Mirrors

Lee & Joan

I am just about done sanding off the rust and getting ready to repaint the cab. I am now chasing the rust out of the door side mirror brackets and thinking "Gee it would be nice to just replace these with a nice stainless set". Anybody got a line on where to get a set of door mirror brackets that fit our truck doors?

PS, have stripped and derusted the entire front end also, grill off, bumper off, valence off.

Joan keeps asking "Are you done yet?"

I keep growling "While I'm in here, might as well get it all" Grrrrr

Hopefully we will still like each other when its "done"...

I found the velvac mirror heads at; http://velvac.thomasnet.com/category/e-angle-mirrors-side-mount-wide-angle-mirror-heads , but they are cheaper at Mill Supply, Inc at; http://www.millsupply.com/ , but mill supply doesn't seem to have the stainless center bracket clamp part velvac # 748029, so I got them from Velvac.

Got your choice in plastic and metal(white) and S steel, at different prices.

I replaced all the mounting hardware( 1/4-20 ) with stainless steel, no more rusting :) .

john

Just had my driver's side mirrors involuntarily removed during the last snowstorm so I got the 6x6 1/2 replacements at NAPA. Re-used the old loop brackets, glad I kept all the busted pieces. Good as new now - NAPA has chrome and white for around $20 a pop, both flat and convex.

I want the little loop metal mount bracket too, I sanded mine and repainted but they are rusting again! I'll get them sand blasted and powercoated if I cant find new ones. Wouldn't a truck supply sell them? I purchased new mirrors and painted satin black and bought stainless screws, and also rubber roofing washers, I have my old mirrors if someone wants them - plastic around the edges is worn, and one glass mirror is cracked, new mirrors are pretty cheap though.

might find the loop mount bracket . the only place i have found is wrecking yard if stainless should be as good as new still. mine were gone replaced by a p o with ones too short and cobbled longer with hardware turnbuckles. looked like crap and could not see behind worth a squat. made long ext out of conduit. have a set of west cost type single heads were on there . i added a pair of round convex heads from a toyota u haul and some more braces. u haul brackets would not work took apart and used for bracing. driving the mirrors would fold back. and leave you blind. the guy must of been an idiot.

some of the old dodges i have seen looked almost the same for mirror set up . if a person could get stainless steel tubing i wonder if a shop could bend some that would work.

Hmmm "I sanded mine and repainted but they are rusting again! " .
I did the same, with the same result after not finding the loop bracket or the diagonal brace arm either. I also had to straighten all of 'em. I guess I will have to do a better job of it this time. Cannot believe these were made just for us there gotta be replacements somewhere???. BTW I put nickel plated capnuts on the top door brackets as they were cheaper and looked better than the stainless, but despite waxing they rusted and now are ss as well.
john