1985 Dolphin Driving From California To Chile!

wind.driven

My girlfriend and I are a few months into a road trip attempting to drive as far south as roads can take us. Currently we are parked on the beach in Mazatlan waiting for Carnaval before turning our wheels south again. I would love to hear anyone else's experiences, tips, blogs or even if you have some gringo job connections. We're not retired so we plan on working along the way.

We did a spruce up/remodel on the old girl's interior, beefed up her suspension, added solar panels and countless other things. We've been trying to document every step of it. All the info on what we did and where we have been is at

http://www.followthewind.net/

Update - Trip turned a little nasty after a car accident outside Tepic, MX. We're re-rebuilding the old girl. Hopefully be back on the road again soon.

http://www.followthewind.net/blog/2014/3/7/oyota-dolphin-accident-mexico

post-7643-0-82377600-1393542904_thumb.jp

Edited by wind.driven

Thanks a lot Sue, I'm glad you like our journey and Dolphin. Really sorry to hear about yours. The only thing I can say is that down here in Mexico the 1ton Toyota pickups are extremely common. They may not be motorhomes, but they do have the correct axles in the back. If you were feeling ambitious you could make a trek south, find a "yonke" (There version of junkyard) and have one of the extremely skilled mechanics down here swap it out for you. I really have nothing but good things to say about the mechanics down here, and it probably wouldn't cost much to have it done.

Labor costs at premium mechanic shops can be $20-40hr, plus you would be getting the axle used, which would probably only be a few hundred dollars. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Best of luck on whatever route you take.

• 2 weeks later...

I am picking up my 85 Dolphin May 1st in Stockton,Ca. and 1st trip with my oldest brother and youngest son is to Yosemite before the crowds arrive for the summer. July we travel all over Calif. & Or. with the family.

Hey I have a mission on Ometepe Island (Goodle it) and it would be a cool place to cross over on one of our ferrys and camp out on Playa Santo Domingo in front of the Istiam Hotel. Tellm Tomas sent you. Been there 13 years myself, everyone knows me. Had a 78 westfalia there, called it Chitty Chitty bang bang, backfired alot.

Tom

What a fantastic trip of a lifetime. If I have to walk the entire way, someday am going to make that trip! The ultimate to be sure.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope your rig can be repaired and it's all just a minor set back. Bien viaje.