Atas-120A And A 1984 Dolphin

pbarge

Okay, so I bought the aforementioned antenna to use on my 1984 Dolphin. I have yet to buy a mount. Has anyone used this antenna on a Dolphin and how did you mount it and what issues if any have you had?

Thanks and '73,

Pat

It is a standard screw driver antenna I'll assume it's a 3/8 24 thread mount all I did was mount a aluminum angle and a female stud for the antenna with an SO239 on the end for the camper. What I can say is get the coil above any obstructions like the side of the camper. It of course would not be a good ideal to drive with it up that high but it will work far better. Hopefully your roof is aluminum you will need some type of ground plane most of the screwdrivers can be ground mounted but will need radials that maybe an option for camping. I run a Tarheel on the back of my pickup with very good results (72 countries mobile so far) I use a turns counter preset controller. I don't know about the Yaesu but if it has a removable stinger put the longest one you can find on it.

I have decided to go with a scorpion antenna. This is a heavy sucker at 18 pounds and will necessitate a heavy duty bracket mounted on the side of the Dolphin about 1.5 feet below the top. Anyone have any idea on where and what type of bracing the walls of the RV are? I will need to locate this in order to make a solid mount

Thanks!

Pat

I have decided to go with a scorpion antenna. This is a heavy sucker at 18 pounds and will necessitate a heavy duty bracket mounted on the side of the Dolphin about 1.5 feet below the top. Anyone have any idea on where and what type of bracing the walls of the RV are? I will need to locate this in order to make a solid mount

Thanks!

Pat

Yep that is a big antenna do you really think you need 160 meters? I have a friend that has replaced two of them and the one that is on his truck is now damaged they were side mounted on the side of a van. Have a look at the Tarheel's I'm using a Lil Tarheel more than any thing else for the size the stinger is also quick mount so I can remove it.. Will it work as well as a bigger antenna? Maybe not but you got to remember mobile HF is sort of like working QRP an antenna mobile size is a good bit less than efficient. I can tell you you will need a heavy duty ball mount and a heavy duty bracket just below the tuning coil (non conductive) or the 3/8 stud will break off with an antenna that large. Even with the heavy ball mount on my little antenna it flopped around like a fish until I made the Lexan bracket

post-669-0-96754200-1392558870_thumb.jpg

post-669-0-12427900-1392558893_thumb.jpg

Sure, I know its heavy but even the tarheel appears to need a heavy duty bracket if side mounted. So do you know where on the sides of the body of the RV might have enough reinforcement for an L shaped bracket? I am going to use a Breedlove mount for this.

Thanks!

Pat

I guess what I'm saying my friends van not only damaged the antenna it also damaged the mounts. To me no matter what the co. say it can't be good for the screw driver antennas to shake like they do with only a single mount no matter what the size. The RV corners like where the sides and the rear come together probably are going to be the strongest area. The MH is a lot taller than even a big van if the antenna takes a hit on any thing other than the whip it will not be a pretty site.

Here is a link to the antenna platform I installed on our rig. I have an ATAS100. Uses a UHF mount. I do not run it when in motion on the RV, only when parked. I do run it on my saab when mobile though. I do not have an aluminum roof, plywood and rubber. Made some nice contacts into Japan on 10m last time I used it on the RV. I do run a dual band Diamond super gainer on the roof, built a custom spring for that. Here is the link http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2189