12V Dc Fridge. Solar Powered?

Neat, though you had better hope the weekend is sunny. The little one requires a 100 amp battery and a 110 watt panel. Nothing yet has made me want to get rid of my propane fridge and the little fridges are about as pricey as a new gas fridge.I don't know it's just so easy to use the propane one and you are all ready carrying propane. At this point if my gas one went south I would either repair or replace it.

When I pulled the 120 volt dorm refrigerator out of my MH I looked around for a good used LP unit. I gave up and installed my 12 volt (compressor) unit and am very happy now that I got all of my electrical problems sorted out. I think I pd $75 for the 12 volt. If I could get a 3 way unit for a good price I would put it in.

• 4 weeks later...

lp is used because it gives the power for weight combo & is reliable. Since propane also works for water heaters, furnaces & stove tops that makes it logical.

if one wants to go electrical then all of these things should be addressed.

solar is great, but you had better do your math carefully & do not forgot about the battery bank - too small & when the sun is not shining... too big & your camper will be over loaded.

dc 12v fridges draw a lot of power which is not an issue when that engine is running & the alternator is generating 12v. A deep cycle battery will not last very long & if you add many more you will have other issues.

A solar panel that can top off the house & starting batteries is a great idea - but do the math before you decide it will do much more. That math includes a realistic assessment of how you want to "camp".

My 12 volt (marine) refrigerator draws 3.1 amps. My wife and I don't set up at one spot for very long so we are driving frequently and get recharged every day. Still, I would install 3 way in a heart beat if I would find a cheap one.