Has Anyone Built A Storage Box For The Back Of Your Motorhome Like This One Here?

Stevo

Has anyone built a storage box behind the back of your motorhome like Macs 4x4 Sunrader here? At first I thought the box was resting on an extension of the rear bumper but after looking at the large photos I can see that isn't the case. I'm wondering how he attached the box to the Sunrader? Does anyone know how I can contact Mac?

Thanks!

Has anyone built a storage box behind the back of your motorhome like Macs 4x4 Sunrader here? At first I thought the box was resting on an extension of the rear bumper but after looking at the large photos I can see that isn't the case. I'm wondering how he attached the box to the Sunrader? Does anyone know how I can contact Mac?

Thanks!

Mac sold his Sunrader to a friend of mine but I'm pretty sure the box had already been removed. I will ask

I did a search on the toyota-campers site for a box someone else built but he put the links on an internet site that is no longer serviced apparently. Just takes you to a bunch of ads instead of his build.

Linda S

• 4 months later...

You could do both, bolt it through the wall, and also onto the bumper for strength. My existing stock box I just removed was simply bolted (4 bolts) through the wall and not even through wood! it just sat on the bumper, factory just used a large washer on both sides of fiberglass wall - it held up really well considering, no visible wearing on the fiberglass at all - I'll be adding some wood to the fiberglass wall and bolting through that on my rear box build. To do this you will have to remove your rear interior panel. You can cheat and not remove your cabinets if you use a disc grinder and dremel. Then simply add trim. Or bolt through your entire wall but you will see the bolt on the inside and there is a gap in between which isn't ideal. Its a good looking box he built. My box doors will open and drop down with cables so I can use them as a table, and they will not swing in the wind, something you might consider. If you have a Sunrader while you are in there, cut the screws that extend too far into the glass and epoxy over them - that is usually where all Sunraders have minor leaks at these screws and not the windows. Mine have signs of leaks at all the screws just above my tail lights.

That guy did a nice job. It is exactly what I'll be doing next week on my 20 foot Mini-Cruiser. Building a box to custom fit from wood makes more sense to me then buying a premade box for very high dollars. I have to re-do my rear bumper anyway. It's the bumper I want to be the main fastening area for the box. That and a few blind expanding fasteners through the back wall. I want to stop using the built-in side storage box and for stuff and put a 2nd "house" battery in it instead. Perfect spot and only two feet from the inverter.

Did you build your outside box yourself? Is it attached to the rear bumper and back wall?

I relocated my batteries to an outside compartment and love it! I now have two 6 volt batteries giving me 225 amp hours.