Just won a 1987 mini-cruiser on ebay

johnkimble

I am pretty excited about it even though its got 99k miles on it. I was wondering if there was any advice for a new owner. Thanks a bunch.

th_IMG_2962-3.jpgth_IMG_2965-3.jpg these pictures are horrible because the seller was not too camera savy. hopefully some new pics soon.

Edited by johnkimble

Congrats on your new Toy MH. Check it out good inside and out, don't want any surprises when you go to use it. Try all the appliances to see what does work and what needs to be repaired or replaced. Check floor and walls and roof for water damage and leaks, soft spots. Just ask ?'s and all of us will try to help answer them. Enjoy the Toy!

I am pretty excited about it even though its got 99k miles on it. I was wondering if there was any advice for a new owner. Thanks a bunch.

Good price on it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=330151607674

Nice that you found one in the same state. If you do not have to drive far with it I would just take it home then have someone you trust look it over for the basics (shocks, tires, brakes, hoses, belts, tune-up, etc) You can check over all of the appliances or have an RV center check them for you. If you are not familiar with these you may want to take it to an RV center to have them do a full check over including the body shell for leaks. At the price you paid for it you can spend quite a bit on it and still have a good deal.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I got the thing home in one piece. Its in decent shape. Needed a good cleaning and vacuuming. I'm having a ton of problems since I don't have the owners manual or any type of documentation for the camper. Maybe someone knows the answers to a few of these questions. Thanks in advance.

1. While on the drive home my brother tested the lights in the camper and they all turned on but now that its home the lights don't turn on even when the motor is running. What am I doing wrong?
  2. Is there a battery for the vehicle and a seperate one for the camper and the electronics?
  3. Is there a master switch for appliances and electronics because I'm not having much luck with this.
  4. Are there websites that sell the manuals?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can answer these questions. If you ever need help designing a webpage I'd be glad to help :ThumbUp: I'm sure I'll be back with a whole list of new questions when I get another chance to look over the camper.

i will try to help on some of this, i also am new to owning a Toy since May of this year. Moosepucky can really give more and better/ professional info. You were running off of 12 volts i assume. Plug up your shore power cord and check it first. Mine has an isolator and coach battery and converter. You also should have a seperate eng' battery. I know it has a breaker box, you may can go under some of the files and data down load what applies. Others may have manuals to help you. My 79 came with none, i ask?'s and use trail and error method.

1. While on the drive home my brother tested the lights in the camper and they all turned on but now that its home the lights don't turn on even when the motor is running. What am I doing wrong?
  2. Is there a master switch for appliances and electronics because I'm not having much luck with this.
  3. Are there websites that sell the manuals?

Thanks smokepolehall. That helped a bit. I have a new list of questions sort of. This one is a bit smaller.

1. What type of bulbs go in the running lights outside the bunk? I can't find a number.
  2. Do you think this manual would help with some of my repair questions? ebay link here

this site has been a huge help with all the manuals and stuff. i love it already.

Welcome to the club. You have to remember, this is a 20 year old motorhome and you are going to have some problems. As far as manuals, this website, and the one at the yahoo groups (link here)), is one of the best manuals you will find. But you will have to sort out fact from fiction. There is some more info out there to guide you along. You might want to try the following e-manual: undefined. I have not reviewed it yet, but it is on my list to buy. You are going to need a automotive electrical test light and a VOM (volt-ohm meter). Your coach should have it's own "deep cycle" or "marine" battery. It is connected to your vehicle, but isolated, from discharging the vehicles battery. The Haynes repair manual would be a good item to have in your library, if you plan on doing any repair work on the vehicle part of the motorhome.

Thanks guys. I found the exterior bulbs they're 1895 12v bulbs and were at walmart for 1.84 for a 2 pack. Todays problem is we blew a little part in the waterline while trying to fill the tanks. From some internet research it looks like these parts are there to break. Its what connects the faucet to the waterline. Was wondering what this is called?

I don't know, the plumbing in my 79 is ,was a mess. I took all of it out and have gotten new tank and fresh water inlet and pvc pipe and fitting to replace all of it. Glad you were able to get new bulbs, i don't know what size mine take. All of mine work inside and out and i am thankful for that.

Todays problem is we blew a little part in the waterline while trying to fill the tanks. From some internet research it looks like these parts are there to break. Its what connects the faucet to the waterline. Was wondering what this is called?
Not sure, but were you just filling the tanks or were you connecting to the city water connector. If it was the city water, you need a pressure reducer. Wallyworld carries them in the RV section. The RV plumbing fresh water system is very low pressure compared to your house!

Not sure, but were you just filling the tanks or were you connecting to the city water connector. If it was the city water, you need a pressure reducer. Wallyworld carries them in the RV section. The RV plumbing fresh water system is very low pressure compared to your house!

Yeah I was connecting it to the city water connector. Not just filling the tanks. I get confused still though its been 24 hours haha. Through very intelligent reasoning [sarcasm] I determined that I [or possibly the dealer before me] was the cause of my plumbing disaster. I'll take pictures of what I'm talking about tomorrow and post them. Maybe someone can name the peice if I show them what it is. I am going to pick up the pressure reducer tomorrow also. I saw it today while buying the lightbulbs and thats when I started figuring out that I caused the leak.

Edited by johnkimble

Yeah I was connecting it to the city water connector. Not just filling the tanks.

Head back to walmart and pick up a 40 psi water pressure reducer from their RV/auto section. You should not connect directly to city water without reducing the pressure otherwise you will pop lines (as you have found out). You should also use a white drinking water hose not a universal garden hose (also available at walmart). You "should" find a slide out filler on the same side as the screw in city water connection for filling only the water tank without being hooked up to pressurized water.

You can download some owners manuals from this URL:

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/owners_manuals.htm

There are more manuals on the Yahoo toyota-campers group file section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/

You will have to subscribe to the Yahoo group to get inside.

Everyone is so helpful. This project is really coming along. Thanks to all of you. So, I got the pressure reducer. I have been reading the manual and it answers a lot of the questions that I have been asking. Today was spent filling the potable water tank to wash it out with bleach. I hooked the city water line up with the pressure reducer and everything worked [kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet] except for the shower. It leaked a little bit of water out of the hose and then did nothing. Wonder what that could be... I also attempted to calibrate the tanks. Since I filled the fresh water tank I decided to fill the gray and black water tanks with the hose and calibrate them.

Using this chart and these instructions:

4qoyexd.jpg

My problem was that when I hit the test switch [no matter what tank was selected] all the lights lit up and when I turned the thing inside with the screw driver nothing changed no matter which way I turned it. Any ideas?

You "should" find a slide out filler on the same side as the screw in city water connection for filling only the water tank without being hooked up to pressurized water.

Just for anyone else who reads this in the future the slide out filler in the 87's is on the driver side in front of the wheel well. There are three holes/caps/plugs. The first one [ from front to back] is the vent for the coach battery. The second one is the the filler for the water tank (not the city water hook up) and the third is the big plug to charge the coach battery/run electricity.

:D

Edited by johnkimble

Still trying to find how to properly calibrate the grey water and black water tanks. It appears there is a sensor error inside the tank or a problem with the electrical on the panel pictured above. Has anyone else had this problem?