Could The Toyota Do It?

Debbit

My husband is busy with some last minute repairs to a property we sold, and I needed to visit one of our kids in LA. I decided to drive our Westfalia since I was going alone and wanted make it into a 2 day drive and then go visit my brother around Bakersfield. My westy is very well maintained and dependable. I love driving it and it cruises down the road quite comfortably.

Got stuck in some intense traffic coming into LA, but you sit up kind of high in the van and visibility is good. Plus Californians like vw vans and give a smile and a wave. I definitely would stay out of traffic like that in the dolphin! In fact I plan to avoid driving in that kind of traffic in any vehicle if I can help it!

But then I left LA and took the 5 to Bakersfield. The hills, steep grades and wind made me wonder how the dolphin would have done. The westy was buffeted as it was, and the dolphin is more affected by wind than the vw is.

I was sort if doing a scouting trip for when hubby and I can take a longer trip together, and we wanted to drive the dolphin, but now I'm wondering. With 4 cyl, steep hills and windy mountain passes just seem to be too much. Any thoughts?

Going up the I-5 pass to Gorman, or the I-80 Donnar pass between Sacramento and Reno, I70 Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado (my favorite, 11,000 ft) or Calif rt89 pass between Lake Tahoe and Mono lake peak, no problem.

Turn the 4-ways on, fall in line behind the trucks, select a gear (1st or second) and just leave it there until you and the rest of the trucks get to the summit. You probably do this with the Westy.

Drive slow, take your time, enjoy the scenery.

My hardest uphill was some of the streets in San Francisco, STEEP, but made it.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks! Then I think if we plan the routes and the time of day we travel, it will be realistic. I know with one, I'd prefer the westy but with two and if we bring the dogs, the westy is just too small.

Several options to help get you to CA. with the hubby and 2 dogs. One solves the room problem the other will get you over the Grapevine I-5

Not to bad for a Splitie, notice how relaxed the passangers are.

OK back to the will the toy do it. I have spent virtually all of my time in my Sunrader in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Never had a problem except once and that was way in back country with an extreme grade. Have gone over Tioga pass several times. If your radiator is original get a new one. Even if it seems to cool OK there is no way a radiator that old is cooling with max efficiency. There's gunk in there somewhere. Then make sure your brakes are really strong. Downhill can be a real bummer if your brakes are overheating

Linda S

I've been over a 12,000ft pass in Estes Park in CO. As for brakes the thing to do is go down the backside of the mountain in the same gear you went up it. Use your brakes as needed to keep the tach happy.