Northeast Toy-In Burlington, Vt August 3, 2014

vtchris

Over on Face Book there is a Toyota Motorhome page with over 100 members and growing daily. Please join. We have organized a Rally for this summer the week of August 3rd in Burlington Vermont right on Lake Champlain and the bicycle path. Here is the website, everyone is responsible for making their own reservations. http://www.enjoyburlington.com/NorthBeach/NorthBeachCampground.cfm

You don't have to be a member of FB to come!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the fb link. I joined but then removed my profile.

The site is run by a guy in Idaho. There seems to be little or no organization with the members. What concerned me the most was a picture of him pointing an automatic handgun at the camera.

I'm not comfortable with his profile.

This is just my observation. The fact that he can enter my profile and see my personal information and friends list is also a concern.

I'm sure he's fine. I learned to trust my instincts a long time ago, and something is telling me to stay away.

That's funny. I had a friend request from a guy on yotatech whose profile photo was him with an AK47 and a bandanna covering his face. NOPE.

But being greeted by the barrel of a gun pointing right at you every time you see someone is just ridiculous. I've spent enough time around guns to have a very negative reaction to a gun barrel pointing at me, photo or not.

It's the kind of stuff that gives gun owners a bad name.

I checked out the owner's FB page and saw a lot of photos of him, lots of them where he was in tye dye, him and his wife, etc. Yes, there was one with a gun. Hard to judge someone on the basis of one photo. I have good friends whose FB page contain such photos and yet I know them to be good people. I couldn't see other members personal information or friend's list just because I am a member of this Toyota Club, not unless I have accepted them as a friend. That said, I admire you for trusting your instincts.

• 9 months later...

Is this something that can be annual? How was this years turnout? I unfortunately didn't buy my rig until about mid-august and then submerged myself into this forum. I live about 40 minutes from Burlington and I'm often at North beach during the summer months. I'd love a reason to get away in my backyard for a weekend.

Is this something that can be annual? How was this years turnout? I unfortunately didn't buy my rig until about mid-august and then submerged myself into this forum. I live about 40 minutes from Burlington and I'm often at North beach during the summer months. I'd love a reason to get away in my backyard for a weekend.

Never heard of North Beach. I used to have a girl friend in south VT near Burlington though. Southern, kind of flat college area. I lived along the Canadian border by Newport Center. Don't recall ever seeing any Toyota RVs there. God help anyone who DID own one and drive it in the winter. It would turn to rust in short order.

I got my Chinook in Rockland Maine but luckily it was from Louisiana and never saw a northeastern winter. So no rust except for along the top of the windshield.

Funny, being in Quebec, we consider Vermont to be a source for rust free vehicles. :)

Things are relative, I guess. I had an old friend called "Trader Ted" who lived in Albany vermont - about 20 miles from the Canuck border. He was an old gieser I used to enjoy trading with (mostly for Candian guns). He told me that when he was a little boy living at Hudson Bay - his parents said they couldn't take the miserable cold weather any more. So they decided to move down "south" to a warm climate. Where? Candian border, Northeast Kingdom, Vermont.

On the subject guns I notice some concern because an RV guy posed with an AK47? Is that somehow a bad thing? I kind of like them.

Many years ago I used to be a member of the NRA about the time they switch to being a lobby group I dropped my membership. One thing I remember distinctly was their statement of "never point a gun at any one or a camera". That of course was 40 years ago I guess it's all right now.

The gun I referenced was a semiautomatic pistol.

The owner was standing there pointing the weapon at the camera with (to me) an unsetteling

smile on his face.

As a former MP and combat vet, I found this to be a little problematic.

The whole point of my post was not gun related,

But to draw attention to joining a forum where your not sure who the site administrator is or how secure your personal information is.

Many years ago I used to be a member of the NRA about the time they switch to being a lobby group I dropped my membership. One thing I remember distinctly was their statement of "never point a gun at any one or a camera". That of course was 40 years ago I guess it's all right now.

I did not look at or see the photo. Just saw the mention of the gun here. I love guns but haven't had any use for the NRA since Charlton Heston was involved. I still gets mail from the NRA. Some of their ostensive ideas look fine to me but a few are a little "over the top" and wacky (in my opinion). Regardless. Guns never scared me. Just some of the people using them and even more - the idiots trying to control them with wide-sweeping laws that result in a country NO safer. Some of the newer laws that have been passed with knee-jerk reactions are asinine. One of the reasons why I just moved out of NY is because of the silly SAFE act just passed that makes no one safer. We already had plenty of laws that were not being enforced. Making my Ruger .223 Mini-14 hunting rifle into a so-called "assault rifle" just shows what idiots we have in public and in government. Heck - even well-made slingshots are now considered firearms in NY. Here in Michigan -I can buy any slingshot I want at Walmart or Tractor Supply. As far a the NRA lobbying goes? Gun owners need somebody on their side. Not sure if the NRA always is or not. I don't like having my name on any official "gun owner" list that would allow Obummer to come find me. Not that he even knows how to use a gun or even a pea shooter.

Back on topic:-

Burlington's a great place. My parents retired to South Burlington and I spent 8 years commuting between Plattsburgh NY and Burlington. So I know the area pretty well.

As for the Toyota Motorhome 'Club' on FB. I just had another look at it and it seems to be 90% links to CL ads. No interest to me and of course FB isn't 'searchable' so I've no way of looking back to see what became of the meeting in Burlington.

What is "great" to one is not always great to another. I lived in Williston for awhile. Just a hop-skip and a jump from Burlington. Way too tame and urban for my tastes. Northeast Kingdom was like a different world. At least back in the 70s. Some of the Kingdom has also gotten too tame for my tastes. All is relative, I guess.

I am from the Northeast Kingdom.....who are all these other folks?? I don't see many Toy Motor Homes up there. Of course I am only around in the summer now that I am full time. I've lived in Newport, Island Pond, E. Charleston, Derby Line, Salem Derby, Holland. Love it there, but the lure of the open road......

Back to the Burlington Rally....three of us showed up, but it was great. Right on the beach, right on the bike path, right on the bus line, nice sites. We had a blast.

I lived in Albany near Barton late 70s. The road where the farmhouse was (that I lived in) is now named after my boss. Pitkin Road. Worked in a sugar woods in the spring and as a carpenter/electrician/farm mechanic the rest of the year. Don't recall ever seeing a Toyota RV back then but not sure I cared at that time anyway. Only Jap vehicles I recall seeing in the Kingdom back them were Subarus (when they were actually something special). Most of those cars were owned by hippies moving in, or school teachers. The locals used to make fun of them in "their little Jap cars." Boy have things changed.

Yeah, I was one of those Hippies. Lived at Frog Run Farm Commune in E. Charleston. There was a Glover commune too.

Let's clear some things up!...

Burlington is NOT southern VT :buttwiggle: ... It's northern. You're probably thinking of Bennington or Brattleboro. Or god-forbid, Rutland.

3 Toyota's turning up isn't bad for a VT first ANNUAL Meeting of the Toys. Next year, You can count on me showing face.

North Beach is basically in the parking lot of the South Burlington High School. Literally, you drive through the parking lot to get to the beach. Not a bad place, There's a campground, bike path, Beach, Boat launch, Rock diving, And a concession building for ice cream/food. It's worth possibly trying to set up THIS COMING YEARS MEETING, if that isn't already the place you had it this past year and just didn't know the name of the Beach.

We Vermonters like our Connecticut vehicles. :cold: VT eats our cars in about 4-5 years. Most cars don't even meet the manufacturers rust warranty before showing rust.

My toyota motorhome was a VT lifer as far as I know, but never driven in the winter, so it has zero rust on it. Except for the quarter sized surface rust spot on the hood that looks like it originated as a stone chip 20 years ago.

That is all.

ALSO.

That facebook page is worth checking out. It is a lot of Craigslist posts, but that's just the admin sharing what he sees for potential buyers.The page itself is a good resource for asking questions with the expectations of a short quick answer, and you can keep up with people's DIY's. I like the community feeling of a good old facebook page. NOT SAYING I don't love this forum!

You can find me on that page as "Mot Ydobaep", that's my name backwards.... Don't ask. or you can, whatever.

Let's clear some things up!...

Burlington is NOT southern VT :buttwiggle: ... It's northern. You're probably thinking of Bennington or Brattleboro. Or god-forbid, Rutland.

Nope. I'm well acquainted with Burlington - at least as it was in the 70s. "South" is a relative term. When living on the Canuck border - Burlington certainly is 'south."

As the story goes I told earlier. My old (now deceased) friend in Albany Vermont said he lived there because Hudson Bay was too damn cold. So he moved "south" to Albany in the once great Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Trader Ted Trembleau.

• 2 months later...