Happy NY all--

Well, after replacing the radiator (with a 3-core), the t-stat (with a dual-hole) and the water pump, I have had no temp fluctuation--needle stayed steady below half on recent trip NY to FL, cruising 60-65--and no detecable coolant loss--I think the pump may have been the culprit with the needle fluctuation, an apparently the neg. result of the pressure test was accurate, so, knock on my head, now HG problems apparently.

Question: I installed an aux fan in front of the rad. Should it be wired to draw air from the outside, blowing it through the radiator, or to draw air from the engine compartment through the radiator and blow it out? I know the answer seem obvious (first way), but my concern is, would this be competing with the main fan? Is the main fan drawing cool air through the radiator from outside, or blowing the other direction, and should both fans be circulating air in the same direction?

tlava:

"after replacing the radiator (with a 3-core), the t-stat (with a dual-hole)"

Could you give us details on your 3-core radiator and the thermostat?

I would love a little more cooling for the 1st gear sections of the climb to 8,000' on the way to Kirkwood.

Brand, part #'s.

Thank you.

Please direc t link a 3 row radiator.ive learned from toyota nation that the v6 radiator is close to plug and play.

But its not rows that matter anyway the modern 1 row Is like a 3 row.

Also that ford radiators work if not using an automatic.

Im definitely in the market for a radiator

I want an icy cool auto transmission

t-stat: Toy OEM part #9091603070 from Olathe Toyota Parts Dept. 1-800-516-1455 https://parts.olathetoyota.com $33.90 + $10.00 shipping (I think I got the water pump from them as well but can't find that information)--they will ask for a VIN and then tell you it is not the right (stock) part so you have to let them know it is a mod.

Rad: CSF 3 core (Linda's suggestion) from Auto Parts Warehouse (info@cs.autopartswarehouse.com); 800-913-6027 $257.40 after discount + FREE SHIPPING

Not sure whether these things made a big diff or not, since the water pump bearing was shot, but both were recommended by others

• 4 years later...

I have gone through 2 different 3 row aluminum radiators. Both leaked, one after 9 months, the other lasting less than 6 months. Both leaked at the tube/tank connection. I now have a 2 row copper radiator that is not keeping up with the engine above 55 mph.

My attempt at the v-6 radiator C-50 size, was a failure. My non-4x4 has suspension brackets that do not allow the taller radiator to drop down the extra 3 inches. It stuck up 2 1/2 inches above the old radiator. Returned.

My fascination with aluminum is over. Too delicate and not repairable. Worked great, though. CSF2314 is the next candidate.

Aluminum is easy to weld, just find the proper welding shop. There may be a minimum charge if you are in a rush.

• 2 months later...

The 3-row CSF 2314 has been installed for two months. It is working great. Steep uphills, the A/C is off for power, not heat reduction. Tioga Pass, no problem.

As received, the fill cap will contact the hood. I had about 3/4" clearance on the bottom, so drilled mount holes 1/2" higher. Fit great.