Cell Boosting And Verizon Hotspot Basics

If someone would care to educate me on this stuff, I'd appreciate it...

I have a regular, non-smart phone. I want to get a hotspot from verizon so that I can get internet for my laptop. So if I want to boost the signal, am I boosting the phone signal, or the hotspot signal? Would this http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-815125-Technology-Frequencies/dp/B003NQ7RZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389738964&sr=8-1&keywords=wilson+815125 work for a hotspot? Or only a phone?

Are there boosters specifically made for the hotspot?

Basically, is this worthless for a hotspot, or is it exactly what I need (probably along with an antenna) to get cellular internet for my laptop??

I think for safety I'd like to get a cell booster anyways, for my phone. But I'd really rather not get 2 boosters...one for the phone, and one for my internet/verizon hotspot.

Thanks.

Not you too!! :)

That's what my friends keep telling me. But I don't want Internet in my pocket! I really don't.

The booster I linked works for 3 and 4G. And I'll be traveling most of the US.

But yeah, it looks like my first stop should be verizon.

Thanks

You could always call these people and pick their brains:-http://www.solidsignal.com/

I looked at their site already since you linked it in the other cell-boosting thread. I may talk to them. I'm going to stop in at verizon first, then start doing some more research.

Nice thing about a hotspot is that you can pay monthly. Just turn it off when I don't need it and stop paying. Smart phone is a whole other deal....

I talked to Verizon people. It costs about 80$ for 10 or 12gig of hot spot per month. I hear that is equal to one hour of you tube a day which is nothing for me.

Mason.

Yeah it's $50 for 5 gigs. I don't really understand how it all works, but the guy I talked to said that 5 is a lot. That unless I'm streaming netflix every day, it'll be plenty.

But I don't know..

I'll report back on what I find out. Looks like there are wireless boosters I can use that will boost any device in range, so that may be what I do.

The verizon guy also talked me out of a hypothetical buying of a smart phone to use as a hotspot. He said the price would be the same per month, and that a smart phone is a poor hotspot. It's not meant to be used as one, and if I did use it as one more than once a week, it would ruin the battery pretty fast. It's fine as a hotspot in a pinch, but not for someone using it almost every day for their sole Internet source.

Not that I'm taking what a verizon guy said as gospel...but that's what he told me. "5 gigs is plenty, and I'm better off with my dumb phone and a separate hotspot".

That second link is great. I'd say I'm a medium user based on the first link, and using the second, if I make a decision not to download songs when I'm using 3G or 4G, and only do big stuff like that when I'm somewhere covered by regular wireless, I'd fairly easily stay under the 5 gig limit.

I did mention to him that the hotspot was for my RV. And I'm not the type of RVer who sits in a campground watching movies.

I want to have internet access more than just when I get into a town, and want to be able to keep in touch and look things up. Probably a little posting of photos on sites.

But I think that kind of usage falls well under the 5 gig limit. Even with a bit of youtube. Probably no streaming Pandora for hours at a time, but I don't do that now.

Thats exactly what my verizon guy at Costco said. So I bought into it. 50 dollars plus tax per mo. Had it for 2 weeks now and am pleased. Has worked on the last 1,000 mile trip very well.

Great, thanks for the real life info!

And reading the amazon questions and answers, it looks like the cradle signal booster link I posted will work for the hotspot. As long as the hotspot can slide into the cradle (which people claim it can), it'll boost the signal.

Basically anything that will fit in the cradle will get boosted.

Good...I was afraid I was about to start running out of things to spend money on..!

Crazy how much I've put into this thing.

You can purchase cellular internet on a bandwidth only rate not q timed rate from walmart.

It uses the sprint network.

So if you use very little you could just buy 5gb and it could last years.

Yes sprint sucks.

Tmobile sucks too.

Those are the only two carriers with deals for wifi hotspots.

In fact i believe theres a free wifi hotspot on sprint wimax aad cheap on 3g.

Yep. I actually downloaded a free internet monitoring system for my laptop a couple weeks ago. It isn't tracking the time I play around at work on my work computer, but it's tracking everything I do at home. So far I'm well within my limit, if I'm going to keep myself below 5 gigs.

I'm sticking with Verizon. $50 a month is well worth it for me for internet on the road. Basically, what I'm paying for my regular cell phone, plus cellular internet for my laptop, is the same as what everyone else is paying for their smart phones, unless they have a family deal going on with more than one person.

I'll be just below $90 a month for my combined cell phone and internet bill. Good enough.

I bought the Wilson Sleek for 3G and 4G, plus an antenna. I can sit my phone in it if I need to make a call, or rest the hotspot in it for internet. So long as there's a bar or two where I'm at, it should boost the signal up to useable levels for both the phone and the computer. Once I'm out using it this summer, I'll be able to report back.

• 4 months later...

That Wilson's Booster is exactly what I bought at Best Buy (well I got the AT&T one) when we were out west last summer, definitely seemed to help (made the difference between zero bars and one or two) in quite a few circumstances. Unfortunately, I got fed up with my old Android phone and switched entirely to Windows ecosystem (Phone, Computer, Xbox, etc) and lost my free Wifi-tethering ability I had on Android. So this summer it looks like I'll be tied to Wifi hotspots as I'm not willing to dole out the cash for a Verizon/AT&T portable hotspot.

3G and 4GLTE are on different frequencies and require different antennas and different signal amps. The older Wilson dual-band cell-phone amps work great for Verizon wireless "Home Phone Connect", Verizon and AT&T cell phones on 3G, Verizon or Millenicom "Mifi" hotspots for Internet, on 3G and Verizon/Millenicom USB Novatel Internet devices.. Won't do a thing for 4GLTE. That takes a different amp that works on a different band. I've got a house in northern Michigan where there is NO cell service and NO Internet service with any stand-alone device. With the correct antenna and amp - I get 3-4 bars and good service on 1X and 3G. Makes a huge difference. We use the same when traveling for our MiFi "hot spot." We use a cradle at times and also a hard-wire hook-up. A rooftop antenna can also make a huge difference in weak areas.

Anywhere I've traveled in the northeast - these have been the frequencies . Wilson and Cyfire dual-band amps usually only cover 850/1900 MHz and not 700 MHz..

AT&T voice – 850 /1900 MHz and 3G, and 4GLTE voice and Net uses 700 MHz

Verizon has voice on 850/1900 MHz , 3G on 850/1900 MHz, and 4GLTE on 700 MHz (Net and voice)

It boosts both signals for me. Unless I'm just really unconsciously fooling myself...but I see a boost in bars when I put the hotspot in the cradle, whether is says "1X", "3G", or "4GLTE".

Usually by 2-4 bars.

What I've found is that when I have no bars, but a signal, and it boosts to 1-3 bars, I still get no useable internet. But as long as I have one bar without the Wilson, it'll give me a useable signal.

This is from the website:

The Wilson Electronics Sleek® 4G cell phone signal booster improves coverage – including 4G, 3G, and 2G data downloads – for subscribers of all U.S. cellular networks (except Clearwire). For specific information about frequency bands, see below. By also boosting all major carriers’ legacy voice and data services, the Sleek 4G provides the user a strong, reliable signal, even where 4G services are unavailable.

I used a rooftop antenna with mine, on my roof rack (only thing metal up there).

Wilson is supposed to be good. Personally I went with a Spotwave; because of the higher output zone (instead of a cradle sized zone it does like 5 square feet). Hookup a spotwave and save $100 against the wilson. Like JDE mentioned, py attention to the frequency bands your gear and provider use to pick the correct spotwave unit. some spotwave units will boost both. The other nice thing about them is that they have a roof mounted collector antennae that flows via coax to the inside mounted booster unit. I believe it runs on 9 or 12 volt also which is nice.

It boosts both signals for me. Unless I'm just really unconsciously fooling myself...but I see a boost in bars when I put the hotspot in the cradle, whether is says "1X", "3G", or "4GLTE".

Usually by 2-4 bars.

What I've found is that when I have no bars, but a signal, and it boosts to 1-3 bars, I still get no useable internet. But as long as I have one bar without the Wilson, it'll give me a useable signal.

This is from the website:

The Wilson Electronics Sleek® 4G cell phone signal booster improves coverage – including 4G, 3G, and 2G data downloads – for subscribers of all U.S. cellular networks (except Clearwire). For specific information about frequency bands, see below. By also boosting all major carriers’ legacy voice and data services, the Sleek 4G provides the user a strong, reliable signal, even where 4G services are unavailable.

I used a rooftop antenna with mine, on my roof rack (only thing metal up there).

That's a different unit that what I was referring to. Many cell and wifi boosters are "dual band." . . that. cover only two bands. The one you mention is a five band amp and cost about 2X-3X more. Worth the money if 4GLTE is available and you want it.. I haven't gotten one of those yet. No reason too since in the remote areas I hang out in (northern Michigan . . . there is no 4GLTE available at all. I've got the Wilson 811214 dual-band amp for in-home and mobile. Cost me $150 new with the cradle, portable antenna, 12 volt and 120 volt power supplies.

I also have the Motorola Cyfire Shasta Dual-band direct-connect amp. Neither of these will do anything with 4GLTE.

It's just a matter of figuring out what band your comminucation device is on and then matching it to a correct amp and/or antenna. Not much different then matching a TV antenna to the correct VHF low, VHF high, or UHF bands. Amps and antennas much match to work.

At our place in northern Michigan near Rogers City . . it's all 1X or 3G not 4GLTE at all. That's for the Internet. cell-phone and wireless home-phone (Verizon Home-phone Connect). Same with the central Adirondacks in New York (Hamilton County). At either place - a hand-held cell-phone or a MiFi Net device - will get one bar if you walk near a lake. Otherwise - nothing. Hook and amp and small antenna up and I get 3-4 bars. I later found that by adding the correct roof-top antenna at our house - we get 4-5 bars with no amp at all. So now we the amp for mostly when we are in a car or RV. We have the Wilson 14 dB gain directional Yagi antennas and they work great. Wilson also makes some omni-directional antennas and I've found them to be useless.

Ah yes. I didn't do much research, so it looks like I lucked out. I'm in all sorts of areas, I've seen all kinds of signals my hotspot picks up. Like I mentioned 1X, 3G, 4G. So I think I picked the right unit, whether or not I could have spent less.

Yes the Wilson I bought (which is obviously the one I'm talking about in this thread) supports all those cellular signals, has a rooftop antenna and is powered by 12 or 120V. I just plug it into the usb port in my laptop.

I bought a larger antenna for it than what it came with, but the reviews on Amazon (one of them, anyways) mentions that the larger antenna is meant to work on a infinite, flat metal plane. But that it must be (realistically) on a minimum of 14" x 14" flat metal plane, otherwise the "stock" antenna probably will work better. Most people would have no problem with this because they put it on the roof of their car.

But I'm putting my antenna on a 2" x 1" piece of metal on my roof rack...so the larger antenna does me no good until or unless I put a sheet of metal up there. Only problem with a fiberglass roof...

Ah yes. I didn't do much research, so it looks like I lucked out. I'm in all sorts of areas, I've seen all kinds of signals my hotspot picks up. Like I mentioned 1X, 3G, 4G. So I think I picked the right unit, whether or not I could have spent less.

Yes the Wilson I bought (which is obviously the one I'm talking about in this thread) supports all those cellular signals, has a rooftop antenna and is powered by 12 or 120V. I just plug it into the usb port in my laptop.

I bought a larger antenna for it than what it came with, but the reviews on Amazon (one of them, anyways) mentions that the larger antenna is meant to work on a infinite, flat metal plane. But that it must be (realistically) on a minimum of 14" x 14" flat metal plane, otherwise the "stock" antenna probably will work better. Most people would have no problem with this because they put it on the roof of their car.

But I'm putting my antenna on a 2" x 1" piece of metal on my roof rack...so the larger antenna does me no good until or unless I put a sheet of metal up there. Only problem with a fiberglass roof...

I've found that the only sure way to know if an antenna is going to work well is to actually try it. I've wasted money on several disappointments. The Wilson amp came with a small magnetic-mount antenna with maybe a 6"-8"wire stub coming out of it. It has outperformed many big roof-top antennas I've tried. Hard-wiring makes a big difference too if you can avoid using a cradle. Not all devices have hard-wire ports so sometimes the cradle or "hot spot" repeater is the only way.

There are several roof-top RV and truck antennas that need no ground plane and work fine on fiberglass. I have this Wilson Trucker dual-band antenna on two of my RVs. No ground-plane needed. Works pretty well in the 1X and 3G bands (voice and Internet). Will do nothing for 4GLTE. It offers considerable better gain that the little magnetic mount units and a bit less then a good roof-top directional yagi antenna.

post-6578-0-73356700-1401402655_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

This is a update from 1-2014. I have been using a version hotspot exclusively for this time. At home and on the road. Still love it. I do not down load anything, just search the net, post on Facebook occasionally, e-mail, etc. Using it now. have not needed any kind of booster. When we travel into Canada Version does not work unless we get and pay for extended coverage. Did have one problem, I forgot to turn OFF the hotspot when I finished using it one time. It was on overnight and cost. For every gigabyte over 5 it costs 10 dollars. You have to turn it on and off each time of use a bit of a nuisance. Therefore don't buy a larger plan than 5 gigabyte because if you go over that it still costs the same for each gig. I have come close to using 5 gigs but that amount seems OK.

We have a Verizlon Mifi "hotspot. It runs two computers in the house all day, every day. Plus my wife's Kindle. Also goes in our RV when we travel. We have the 15GB plan for $80 a month and just barely squeak by without going over. Note we never download videos except small ones that get linked to by accident with advertising. At home - the Mifi will not work without a roof-top antenna hooked to it. Nice thing about the Mifi is it has an external antenna port. Using just an amp at our house does not enable it to work. Plugging in our rooftop antenna does. My wife and I also have Android Minis but they have no external antenna ports and will not work where we live. On the road-yes- for most of the time. So we have three antennas on the roof. One for TV, one for cell phones, and one for our MIFI. MIFI hooks to the antenna with CM400 coax.

post-6578-0-15919400-1446212033_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-17948800-1446212035_thumb.jp

The best? Why? It doesn't have very good reviews...

What makes you say it's the best?

I bought an iPad over the winter, and ended up getting rid of my hotspot. The iPad has internet service through Verizon, and I can use it as a hotspot if I need to use the laptop for something instead of the iPad.

I don't think the iPad is meant to be used regularly as a hotspot, but since I do most anything I need to do on the iPad itself, I don't need to use it as a hotspot often. Other people do other things and will have other needs, but for me, this setup works really well.

Only annoyance is when I need the booster. The booster is just a cradle for a phone, iPad doesn't fit in the cradle. So I kind of need to take the "arms" off the cradle and rest the iPad on the booster, which is awkward. But typcially if I'm out somewhere that I need a booster, I don't want to be spending much time on the internet anyways.

That "best" signal booster shown on Amazon wouldn't do me a bit of good. I've got Verizon 3G and 4G/LTE here in northern Michigan. Frequencies mostly are 746-757 MHz. That booster on Amazon does not work in those ranges according to the specs. It's listed for 1710-1755 MHz and 2110-2155 MHz. Useless where I am. No amplifier/signal-booster is going to work for someone unless it is build for their frequency range.