Just Got Back From A Mountain Trip!

Odyssey 4x4

I just took a trip to Cloudland Canyon State park in Northern Georgia. It was beautiful! It was about 1200 miles round trip. The toyota did great. The only problem I had was a lower radiator hose that busted on the way North. We slept at a WalMart that night and got the new hoses from advance that morning and were on the road by 11.

I bought a new camera on the way out (Nikon D3200) and the pictures came out great.

I figured fellow Toyota lovers would like to see some pictures from the trip.

One of the only vehicles in the entire park!

M139oEN.jpg

This little girl came out of the woods and hung out with us all weekend.

PKUHzsC.jpg

As a Floridian, these roads were gorgeous!

sEC4Fik.jpg

Pizza for dinner.

5pU7qCe.jpg

I love this camera.

5MMPS9Z.jpg

These pics were taken 24 hours apart!

DIUwoN9.jpg

IwcnSMK.jpg

LKNoUg9.jpg

It was my first time driving in snow and I happened to be in my 1987 Escaper driving down a snowy mountain, it was a great time. I'm glad I just installed all 6 brand new tires!

Nice photos. nice trip.

I would recommend you re-size your photos before you upload them to the site so they are less than 100k, makes web page load a lot faster. Derek up North is on a cradle model and he is probably still waiting for the first photo to finish downloading. :-)

I use Paint to resize. Open the photo in paint, click the "Resize" button. I usually resize by pixels, make the horizontal 600 pixels and make sure the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box is checked.. Then do a "Save-As" a jpg file.

I like to name the saved file similiar to the original, i.e. the original file is "original.jpg" and the saved file as "original_small.jpg"

One of your original photos was 547kb, the re-sized photo (below) is 79kb, about 1/7th the original size, and loads a lot faster. Alkso note that it auto thumbs, and when you click on the thumb, it expands.

John Mc

post-4544-0-89114600-1389358205_thumb.jp

I look forward to driving without snow on the roads. We have had snow on the roads for 2 months and we can look forward to another 2 months of crappy roads. I am looking forward to getting the Toyhouse out of storage around the end of March. -18 degrees (f) yesterday.

It looks like you had a really good trip.

• 5 months later...

Hi - encouraging to hear about your voyage! i just bought an 1986 Escaper and, well, first of all, how do you drain the fresh water tank? also, does the couch open up to provide access to water tank? do you still have the kohler generator that came with the rig? how is it, if so? and, what about vinyl window covers? i have two bags of them and don't know where they do. thx much. any advice, tips, would be very appreciated. ann

Hi Ann, if you are referring to draining the "clean" non-used water, I have a small drain on the drivers side of the vehicle. To get access to the fresh water tank on my rig, there is a little panel that runs the length of the couch and is held in with simple latches. You unhook the latches, remove the panel, and have access to the water tank, circuit breakers, water pump, and coach battery. My rig had an Onan Microlite 2800 in it when I bought it that ran perfect (one of the influences of me buying this rig). I just rebuilt the generator with a new fuel pump, filter, carb, oil, spark plug, and muffler since mine was broken and way too loud. My Onan was manufactured in 1995 so I assume the previous owner had it installed. I do not have any vinyl window covers but I can tell you that my truck has buttons surrounding the cab windows for what I would assume to be some type of window covers the truck came with. Maybe that's what you have? Wanna sell them?!

There is plenty of information to be found online and on this forum, just check it out. Plenty of great helpful people all with their own Toy homes.

Also, when i purchased my rig all the original manuals were included. I have uploaded the manual and a fellow blogger compressed it into a downloadable file available at...http://www.mediafire.com/download/a276aw37wkuwqwn/1987+Damon+Escaper+Manual.pdf

Studied the manual, took the couch apart, crawled all around underneath and am still unable to locate fresh water tank drain. There is a rubber tube that looks like it may be coming from water tank under rig but no valve to release water. I drained grey water tank just in case that have me a lead. Could it be possible that the 1986 model didn't have a draining mechanism and that I just need to open faucets and use water pump? Puzzled and frustrated. Thank you

Look for a little metal ring that you pull up. Can be very hard to see if it's flipped down. If you can't find it the sink and pump will drain the tank fine. That's the way I usually do it anyway. Hard to get down to those darn valves in mine too. After all the old water is out I disinfect mine with 1/2 cup of bleach and refill the tank to full. Let sit for a while then drain and rinse a couple of times. The pump can take a while but I usually do it while I'm packing up and that takes a while too. Refill one last time with fresh water and your good to go.

Linda S