Can anyone tell me where the air filter and gas filters are on a 1990 V6? I was at an oil change place a few weeks ago and they were clueless.

Also, has anyone used this K&N filter? Any performance gains? http://www.amazon.com/33-2050-1-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000BR3BEY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389130898&sr=8-3&keywords=toyota+air+filter+1990+pickup

Thanks!

Call me skeptical. Their own ad show a MAXIMUM of ~2HP increase at ONE particular RPM and the results of ONE test. Since it was their choice, I don't think I'm going too much out on a limb saying that this was the BEST they could do and that the others were worse. There are also many who say that the K&N filters allow more dirt through than a genuine Toyota filter. I don't recall seeing any scientific test results published.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Automotive/brands/dyno_big._V365352488_.jpg

http://www.yotatech.com/f120/where-my-fuel-filter-located-1990-toyota-178725/

"1990 toyota 3.0 fuel filter location" in google image search. Many photos. I wouldn't let those guys touch the truck again if it were me...

I used a K&N for awhile. Figured if nothing else, maybe never having to replace the filter again, only clean it, was worth it.

I noticed no hp gain, and as I bought new trucks, I eventually stopped buying those filters.

It's not a straight up gimmick, but it IS just another one of those many things to throw money at trying to squeeze a few more horsepower out of an engine that just doesn't have it.

IMO

The stock air filter all ready flows far more air than the engine can use and it does a much better job of filtering. If you like noise they are noisier. Maybe sound equates to performance.

I refuse to believe they couldn't find the air filter...

Do the same google search as for fuel, but with air.

Yeah really, the fuel filter well they are really good at hiding them but the air filter pretty much is there for all to see.

Yeah really, the fuel filter well they are really good at hiding them but the air filter pretty much is there for all to see.

I know. I don't expect the oil change guys to be mechanics, really. But still...

This is why I would never trust them to change my oil. The lifeblood of my truck...Such a simple thing to do, such dire consequences if it's not done right...

From thermodynamics, cold intake air is the best for performance.

The stock system has an intake from behind a headlight.

The K&M installation looks like it takes air from the engine compartment.

The stock system seems like it would have an advantage.

if you look up a vp toyota pickup you will find that your v6 uses the same oil/gas filters

However, a 22RE fuel filter will not fit on the V6 fuel line.

I'm confused...what are we talking about now? And what's a vp toyota?

I don't think the issue is motorhome vs regular pickup. We all know that our drivetrain is no different than any other toyota pickup. The issue, explained in the first post, is that the oil change people didn't know where to find either of them. My guess is that they would have had the same issue even if it wasn't a motorhome.

Zach - I had my oil changed once at Walmart in Fairbanks Alaska. three months later when I changed the oil, I discovered they did not change the filter. I suspect they could not find it. Its tucked up under the intake manifold and very difficult to get at or see.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I do have a V6 but wrongly assumed that the same year 22RE filter would fit.

I pulled my old filter which actually looked almost new. The new filter would not screw into place because of different size threads. Smaller, as I recall.

Put the old filter back in place and ordered a couple of fuel filters from U-haul Ebay. At least they don't carry incompatible 22RE parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Will a cold air intake add any additional engine noise? When I put an intake system on my old honda accord the engine sound increased dramatically. Don't want my Toy to get noisey when I roll in late at night to the campground.

I'd say probably yes and for negligible performance improvement and quite possibly poorer filtration.

If you look at results, they're not much in terms of power gain especially if you look at the sort of engine speeds we typically run while cruising. Looks like 1-2hp better.

http://toyota.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/toyota/352007/453963/dyno.jpg

So maybe 1-2% better fuel economy? Agreed, any improvement is welcome but reducing your cruising speed by 1mph might give you as much (or more)! :)

On the 22R engines one can put a much larger capacity filter (from I think a Ford) that screws right in

Purolator PL30001 or L30001. It is a common filter in other brands.

I used a K&N airfilter on my off road bike for awhile, it cost me three overhauls until I wised up. Took out the Stainless Steel intake valves while leaving the exhaust valve alone. In the end it so clogged up it would not pass air. I used K&N cleaner and oil. They work just great if you have no dirt...