Generator Swap

pbjeeps

This could be here in electrical or in the "what projects I am gonna do". So here goes. My 87 Toyota Coachman Motorhome has an old Kohler generator in it. When I tried to start it it was noisey and it shook wildly. After doing some research, I found out that there aren't any more parts available for the controls. So I am gonna swap it out with a different generator. I was looking for a generator to buy that I could build a box and hang it on my bumper as most of us have seen many do here. I followed a Craigslist ad to a 4000 watt generator. When I got there the guy tried to start it and gas spilled out all over the floor. He hummed and hawed and finally said I could have it for free . So I took it home and rebuilt the carb with the kit he gave me. The thing started right up and ran good and handled every test I threw at it.

My plans are to install it in the hole that had the old genset instead of on the bumper. The first obstacle is the gas tank that these portable generators have. I am gonna try to use a Mukini or walbro pulse style pump and use the hose that was on the Kohler. So I will remove the tank and hook up the carb just (almost) like the oem did. Next I removed the auto switch because I plan on plugging the shoreline in to the generator directly or into the shore power, so no need for a switch. Next problem is there is no electric start on the genset I'm putting in. Hopefully, I will be able to position the new generator in the hole so that I can pull start it. I will need to put a kill switch in the cab on the dash. I will also provide ventilation and a fan to try to keep things cool. I will have to weld some exhaust pipe and put on a quiet muffler. It doesn't appear that I will have to do much structural changes.

Anyone forsee any pitfalls?

Edited by pbjeeps