chassis repair for sunrader

jeani

Hi, I have a 1980 sunrader in really good shape,however their is a "break" in the metal chassis...hey I'm a woman so forgive my lack of technical terms. The break is right about at the top of the drivers side door. This causes it to bounce and a leak in the gasket around the window. I thought it could be braised or welded but someone else said no. So anyone have any experience or knowledge about this.

The piece in question starts right below the windshield,the part with the vent holes behind the hood and the goes up the side and becomes the roof. It's not structrural but the leakage around the windshield is the issue. Thanks in advance for your help....happy travels,jeani

Not the chassis! Which is good, but it sounds like a major problem. Is there any way to see pictures? Are you talking about the cab of the pick-up or the overhang of the camper coach?

The holes below the windshied are called cowls/louvers. You are talking about your cab to roof riser/structial beam door rib and several other names for it over the years. Yes the gasket and glass can be removed. Rust cleaned out down to bare metal and mig or tig welded. Ground smooth primered and repainted new windshield gasket and sealer and windshield installed. Not cheap.

Thanks,when you say it's not cheap do you have a ball park estimate???

I'm trying to sell it and want to reduce the price accordingly.

I think it happened when it got towed down a bumpy road cause it just happened.

This is a great site....jean

I guess it depends what part of the USA your in. In the south where i live labor is cheaper. A big shop would hit you up for $1500, a home shop $1000. Any time you have to pull a windshield and gasket to cut out bad sheetmetal it costs lots of coins. Take it to couple of body shops for estimates. You may find it cost almost as much to have it repaired as selling price. Not what you want to hear but its the truth.

• 2 weeks later...