Lockbox

MontanaChinook

So if I'm traveling in my Chinook, and say I park at a trailhead out in the middle of nowhere, I may have expensive electronics with me. I might leave the camper for days while I backpack. The Chinook is pretty easy to get into.

I want to mount a metal, locking box to the floor under the seats, big enough to fit a laptop and some other random stuff.

I'm not really seeing what I want online. Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a few that might just barely be large enough, but I'd have to measure my laptop. They wouldn't fit much else other than the laptop...

Something probably 6" tall, and probably no smaller than 15"x10" or so.

So if I'm traveling in my Chinook, and say I park at a trailhead out in the middle of nowhere, I may have expensive electronics with me. I might leave the camper for days while I backpack. The Chinook is pretty easy to get into.

I want to mount a metal, locking box to the floor under the seats, big enough to fit a laptop and some other random stuff.

I'm not really seeing what I want online. Anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a few that might just barely be large enough, but I'd have to measure my laptop. They wouldn't fit much else other than the laptop...

Something probably 6" tall, and probably no smaller than 15"x10" or so.

Zach,

Go to a gun store and ask them for a 'fast open finger pad' type of a gun safe.

They are made in several sizes, can be bolted down and no key is necessary

to open it. I'm sure they even make a 15" X 10" also.

~Riverman77

Have you looked into someplace inside the engine compartment? Secured to one of the inner fenders?

The old adage that "locks are meant to keep honest people honest" unfortunately is true. Someone really wants to break into your toy they're going to. Better maybe not to take a lot of expensive equipment with you. Or, buy a renters policy to cover the contents of your mh. The prices are reasonable.

I'm not sure that I'd put my laptop in the engine compartment...less room for a box and dangerous if I forget to get it out of there.

I may be living out of it for a little while, so traveling with expensive stuff is going to happen. I'd rather have a box screwed into the floor inside, where I can keep it anytime I'm anywhere slightly sketchy or I'm leaving the camper, and lock it. Is there a reason you think a metal box makes more sense in the engine compartment than coach? Less likely to be found? I'm hoping that if it takes crowbars and lots of effort, that's enough to keep them away, or at least make them think twice.

Walking out in a parking lot or street side with a laptop in my hand, popping the hood and putting it in there seems very obvious to anyone watching.

Renters insurance is probably a good idea either way...I'll need to look into that. But I'd rather come back and see that it was broken into and they didn't get anything, than just leave the stuff where anyone who gets into the camper could easily grab it, and then have to deal with insurance.

They do make RV lock boxes that bolt to the floor, mine had a hatch under one of the seat cushion I just put a cam lock (pin tumblers) in the hatch door not perfect but it was a good hiding place.

I have been thinking about adding a safe under the captain's chair in the coach. I do my own welding so I would build a steel box whatever size I need and install it under the seat. I would shorten the pillar that the chair sits on so that the chair is the original height. Being able to do my own fabrication gives me the option to change anything I want.

Yeah welding is a good skill!

I've seen some of the rv safes. So far I haven't quite seen what I'm looking for...Honestly something like an ammo box, but bigger, would be good enough. I'm not looking for anything as sturdy as a true safe. Even heavy duty plastic would be fine. Like a tool box that I could put a padlock on, and would fit a laptop plus a couple other small things.

I've seen more stuff like what I'm looking for in plastic toolboxes, but so far only the really huge ones have places for padlocks.

What I am thinking about building would be considered more of a "strong box" not a true "safe." It would be enough to discourage a person from breaking into it, not something that would stop a really dedicated thief. I don't want the thing to weigh to much.

Yeah welding is a good skill!

I've seen some of the rv safes. So far I haven't quite seen what I'm looking for...Honestly something like an ammo box, but bigger, would be good enough. I'm not looking for anything as sturdy as a true safe. Even heavy duty plastic would be fine. Like a tool box that I could put a padlock on, and would fit a laptop plus a couple other small things.

I've seen more stuff like what I'm looking for in plastic toolboxes, but so far only the really huge ones have places for padlocks.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. A hammer would demolish your plastic tool box in about 30 seconds. (forget the lock).

The fact your budget is limited would make stealth a better option.

Maybe build a false bottom in one of your cabinets?

Take a minute to sit in the coach and look for suitable hiding places.

I've found several on my unit.

Remember, most bangers carry a hammer (for window glass) and a can of a/c recharge with them. Anything less than a good metal strong box is a waste of money.

Listen to Fred! stealth is your best option, we hide our laptop at the end of one of our bench seats in the coach, we made a hidden compartment in which the lap top sits upright, a strip of plywood covered in the same carpet that is on the floor and lower wall makes a door, you would never know there is a hidden compartment, we've been through several border crossings numerous times and it has never been checked.