'83 Minicruiser - So Broken But So Loved

dejuki

I am the proud but nearly defeated owner of a 1983 mini cruiser that was gifted to me by a dear friend. I live in it full time but it has a laundry list of issues and I can't even figure out where to start.

Both tanks are cracked and leaking. The black tank ranks as hopeless.

The water heater disintegrated.

The cabover leaks like a sieve and is rotted through and through.

The A/C drips water constantly when it runs.

I don't even know if the (scary-looking) furnace or the stove work because we never got to pressure test the LP system. The repair guy who gave it a going over just shook his head and told me it would be best to wait until some of the other difficulties were tackled.

Crazy as it seems, I love this thing even though I think it's trying to kill me.

I have read through numerous posts here and am awed by your collective knowledge and mad repair skills. My budget says I can't pay someone to make magic happen and my pride says I can do it myself. But my voice of reason says I need help since I have no indoor work area and limited tools available.

I have searched all kinds of places to find replacement tanks. There are none that match the dimensions on the original tanks. Is there a commonly used alternative?

What size water heater do I need? I am inclined to think a Suburban or Atwood 6 gallon tank is appropriate but I have not had time to measure thoroughly. Do I need to replace the door to match the water heater brand or will the one that is there do the job?

The electrical system is confounding to me in all kinds of ways. There are two sets of outlets - one black framed that only work with shore power, one set ivory framed that run from the battery. I set off the inverter (1800W, I believe but I'm not in front of it right now) immediately if I plug anything in that isn't a laptop charger, more or less. It's really frustrating. I have one coach battery that I replaced when I got the Eaglet last year. The one that was in it was cooking right under where I was sleeping. That was fun, too ;-)

Where would you start with everything that needs to be done?

Do you drive it and if so, is it in good mechanical condition? I guess first you have to decide if it really is worth fixing up.

Then, I would make a list of what it needs, in order of importance, and decide where money would be best spend in getting help.

My list would be something like this;

Find and fix leaks.

I don't know the best way to fix the roof, but I bet if you search on this forum, you will find answers.

Check for rotted wood where it has leaked and replace and repair. We did this, and there are lots of pictures of what people have done on this forum.

Making sure the wiring and converter is safe and work (this would be where I'd spend money for)

My dolphin had very leaky plumbing. I paid someone with the tools and contortion skills to fix the plumbing. We replaced the water pump ourselves.

My dolphin waste water tank was combined black and grey. It fell apart and we took it off. A new one is on order, and we will attach it under the kitchen drain, where it fits. You can't really find an exact fit, just measure the space and decide what will fit in it.

Later we may attach a second under the bathroom, but for now, we have replaced the toilet with a porta potty. If we need showers, a night at an rv park or motel gives that option. We use a portable wheeled grey water tank under the kitchen sink. We slip a rubber hose over the kitchen sink stub and fit the end in the tank. When it is full, wheel to approved for grey water place to dump. Gets you exercise too.

AC...depends on if you need it. If ours went out, I'd use one of the room units that vents out the window.

For heat, electric heaters are very safe and efficient now.

Water heaters are nice, but not a necessity..if the stove works, boil water.

I suppose if you are full timing, many of these solutions may not be as easily workable as if you were camping. But If you have access to shore power and showers, I think they would.

Our dolphin was a bargain, and very mechanically sound. The camper part looked to be in really good condition, but it did have issues. About halfway through fixing things, I begin to wish I'd never seen it. It was summer and hot and miserable work. Now I love it, but it know I could love another just as well.

Just have to weigh out the pros and cons to know if it is worth it.