I Need Help Installing A Coach Battery

yoda83

Hey there I'm obviously new to the community. I just picked up an 83 dolphin 4spd to gypsy around the country in this winter. I've just finished completely renovating the inside and now I'm tackling the mechanical and electrical issues. Can anyone tell me whats going on with my coach battery? The previous owner did some improv work with the wiring when he removed it and I'm honestly terrible with electrical stuff. I've attached some pictures of the engine bay. Thanks for helping guys I'm super grateful to have found this forum!

battery.zip

Yeah, I know from experience that "previous owner improv work" and "I'm terrible with electrical stuff" don't mix very well.

Post real photos (I can't open whatever kind of file that is...I won't be much help, but if I can't open other people may not be able to), and do what you can with advice from here...but it's probably worth bringing to an electrical place if things don't make sense.

I rewired 90% of my Chinook, but I had an electrical place wire the 120V/AC parts of my coach, and help with my battery isolator, since a previous owner had done some "improv" work with it...

Unless you know how things are supposed to work when set up correctly, and have the equipment and know-how to test what is now going on, you're kind of literally playing with fire...

I kind of shudder when I hear that 'improvements' have been done. Sometimes they're a true improvement, sometimes they're a hazard! :)

It looks from your pictures as though your 'coach' battery is supposed to be mounted under the hood (drivers side) but there is none. Correct?

you are correct

Yeah, I know from experience that "previous owner improv work" and "I'm terrible with electrical stuff" don't mix very well.

Post real photos (I can't open whatever kind of file that is...I won't be much help, but if I can't open other people may not be able to), and do what you can with advice from here...but it's probably worth bringing to an electrical place if things don't make sense.

I rewired 90% of my Chinook, but I had an electrical place wire the 120V/AC parts of my coach, and help with my battery isolator, since a previous owner had done some "improv" work with it...

Unless you know how things are supposed to work when set up correctly, and have the equipment and know-how to test what is now going on, you're kind of literally playing with fire...

http://imgur.com/bdA5oPQ for the pics

More photos please :)

There are people on here who know things about the electrical system and I'm not one of them, but I know a little...and photos always help. More photos. Close up photos.

If I understand correctly, we're really just trying to figure out which wires here go on which battery post, right?

Electric is not my forte but the first pic shows a little round unit mounted on your wheel well next to the green thing. It looks like a battery isolater to me. Check it and see if there is a wire running from that to your alternator and another one running to your truck battery. If so you can start following you wires from there. One should run to that bundle of connectors and that is what charges your coach battery when the truck is running. Should be another one that goes back towards the coach to charge battery from converter and power 12 volt appliances. Don't see a negative connecter but It should be there somewhere. Might be a good idea to hit up an RV place to help you figure it all out instead of taking a chance of shorting stuff out.

Linda S