Is Everyone Getting Ads Inserted After The First Thread In Every Forum?

OK turned off ads for the moderators. Sorry guys. I discontinued donations for the site cause there were non for along time. You know everyone likes free right? Just footed a $750 bill for the next 3 years. And that's just part of it besides my time also. So all I gotta say is if you want a free site then you can put up with a few ads. I appreciate all the hard work you moderators do for the site and our members, and I am sure our members will ditto that. If anyone wants to opt out as a moderator just say so and I will make that happen. I might also note that besides the discussion board I also offer a FREE classifieds along side the board that also costs money to operate. Perhaps a payed member group could be created. In other words a small fee per year and no ads for that payed member. Just a thought!

So I gotta say, anyone know any other discussion boards with no ads? How about yahoo, any ads there and do any of those owners or moderators get anything from yahoo?

For the record, I was only joking. I refuse to type 'LOL'! Well, just this once. By all means, if having them turned on means revenue for the Forum, go for it. Yahoo Groups have recently been invaded with some ads amongst the posts. I can scroll past those and I can easily scroll past any here too. :)

I have only contribute sparingly. I don't mind the ads because they aren't hard to get around. Thanks for the great site Greg. Some people will always use and not contribute, that is their option. I for one, am glad that this site exists with or without ads.

Greg $750 is an outrageous cost for a forum over that time. I host a collector forum, no ads and unlimited space for less than $50 per year. Generous donations cover that, so free for everyone. I run Fudforum and host @dreamhost.com. I run a local test forum of the same at home so folks can test new changes that come about.

Ads are no problem. I've just never seen them inserted into the threads and forum the way they suddenly are, on any other forum I've ever looked at.

So...I appreciate this site and I'm not complaining about ads. I'm complaining about where they've suddenly shown up.

I'm on a forum that has a "union". For something like $20 a year, you get a t-shirt, a little badge next to your avatar to make you feel good about yourself in front of others, and no ads. Get just 50 people into the union, and you've got $1,000/year coming in. Minus the cost of whatever swag you decide to tempt people with :)

But even as a non union member of that site, the ads are to the top and sides of the forum, not in the middle.

And yes, a lot of people didn't like the term "union" when the idea was first tossed around...

It's a large forum, and probably more than half the members are paying union dues. Tens of thousands of people..!

I have no problems with adds, I use them on several sites to help cover cost of hosting. URL renewals, etc.

www.iflyez.com

I pay $250 for three years (www.justhost.com) and about $15 a year per URL. I host several different URL off this one account.

www.ToledoTeaParty.com
www.Republicans4Earl.com
www.nwohioconservativeconference.com
www.ivoteconservative.com
www.swantontaxpayeralliance.com/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

How many facebook people? Now that is ads folks. On top of that people willfully give them all the info they need to pass on to their advertisers.

So I guess the answer to- why are the ads suddenly in the middle of the forum, instead of off to the side (which seemed to work fine for the last year I've been on this site)? is:

"What's your problem? This site needs funding, and ads on other sites are worse."

That's cool, I guess. I just wondered why they moved into the center of threads. Not arguing the need for them.