Winter observations from the field

paulnptld

We're finally experiencing some typical 'deep winter' weather here in Oregon. Temps on Mt. Hood are in the teens at night. So here's the latest from spectacular (and completely frozen over) Trillium Lake, just minutes from the ski resorts. Current exterior temp: 22 degrees. Inside: 90+ (I'll explain shortly). This is day two of boondocking it, and I'm pleased to report that the Dolphin is handing this with aplomb.

For winterizing I've only dumped two gallons of RV antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks. The fresh water tank is full, and the water heater is running. I just took a scalding hot shower with no issues whatsoever.

I also put a 1 inch layer of reflective polystyrene under the mattress (incredible difference) and an insulated blanket between the cabin and living area.

I still plan on adding reflectix to the area around the refrigerator. Other than that, the Dolphin seems to be handling cold weather just fine.

The Big Buddy has generally been left on at the lowest setting (4,000btu). I've cranked it up a few times just to see how warm the interior can get. High temp? 97 degrees. So far...for the entire weekend...I've used less than 1/4 of a tank of propane.

Other things worth noting: I'm running with a single deep cycle, LED lights throughout the interior, and haven't needed to fire up the generator yet. So it seems the Dolphin may end up being the ultimate skimobile after all!

Can't say enough great things about the Mr. Heater Big Buddy so far. Condensation inside hasn't been a huge issue. I have the window by the dinette cracked open, and one ceiling vent open approximately 1/2 inch. Both CO detectors have indicated 0ppm.

I'm loving that your out there field testing and reporting back. We are gonna uses your info. Question for ya, do you have a quick, rough, formula for determining how long a full propane tank will last you running these things? For example, a 20 lb propane tank @ 80% will last you how long with running 4000 btu? Follow me? I haven't used a propane system before. Seems like it would be nice to figure out ahead of time when your gonna drain the tank.

Did you add the CO monitor?

Edited by Skyhighlivin

one gallon of propane has about 91,500 BTU of energy and weighs about 4.23 lbs per gallon. OR about 21,600 BTU per lb.

a Mr Buddy running on low heat (mine is 3,000 BTU on low) will run about 7 hours per lb (3,000btu x 7hr = 21,000).

Here are some approximate numbers, you can use these to calculate approximate usage;

Mr Buddy = 9,000 / 3,000 BTU
Stove top = 7,200 / 5,800 BTU

Furnace = 18,000 BTU

Frig = 1,000 BTU

CO ALARM - These cost about $25 (WALMART). get the kind that has the digital readout. It displays ppm of CO that its detecting. You want one of these if you plan on operating a vent-less heater.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Any issues with your water pump? I noticed my water lines and pump froze last night in the driveway - but I didnt have any heat running overnight like you do. Didn't finished insulating all the lines to the pump in time here in WA State - I'm anxious to finish so I can use the Toy as a ski basecamp too! Keep us posted!

Any issues with your water pump? I noticed my water lines and pump froze last night in the driveway - but I didnt have any heat running overnight like you do. Didn't finished insulating all the lines to the pump in time here in WA State - I'm anxious to finish so I can use the Toy as a ski basecamp too! Keep us posted!

It's been in the low teens this week. Over the weekend I visited the RV storage site where I keep my Toyhome. Even though I'd drained the lines, it wasn't enough. The water pump is frozen solid, as are the sink traps in the bathroom and kitchen. So the issue isn't the ability to keep them above freezing when using it. The real issue is that you need to re-winterize the vehicle once you decide to park it for a few days.

Of course this weather is really unusual for Portland, but I honestly have no idea of what to expect once I thaw out the RV. I'm planning a ski trip to Mt. Bachelor this weekend, and I'm concerned that I'm going to have a cracked line or two. Fingers crossed.

It's been in the low teens this week. Over the weekend I visited the RV storage site where I keep my Toyhome. Even though I'd drained the lines, it wasn't enough. The water pump is frozen solid, as are the sink traps in the bathroom and kitchen. So the issue isn't the ability to keep them above freezing when using it. The real issue is that you need to re-winterize the vehicle once you decide to park it for a few days.

Of course this weather is really unusual for Portland, but I honestly have no idea of what to expect once I thaw out the RV. I'm planning a ski trip to Mt. Bachelor this weekend, and I'm concerned that I'm going to have a cracked line or two. Fingers crossed.

Did you do any winterizing at all? I just blew my pipes, drained tanks, and dumped anti-freeze down in the drains. I hope that will suffice.

But it has been ridiculously cold in OR. I decided to sleep inside the RV with a 1600W space heater in single degree temperature for fun. Someone said they keep the space heater on during the winter, even when not in use. I can't imagine it doing anything in single degree temperature. Things still will freeze!!

Some learnings from the field: I clearly did not know how to winterize my RV. Yes, I put RV antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks, drained the fresh water tank, etc. However, I failed to remember the water pump...and more importantly, the hot water heater. Then this happened. Suggestions would be appreciated. :)

post-7306-0-14005400-1387222716_thumb.pn

Yep I'm warm in snow mobile outfit at -15 on a snow mobile at 50MPH! Got to say though I never thought about sleeping in it or the camper for that matter at -15.

Some learnings from the field: I clearly did not know how to winterize my RV. Yes, I put RV antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks, drained the fresh water tank, etc. However, I failed to remember the water pump...and more importantly, the hot water heater. Then this happened. Suggestions would be appreciated. :)

You can buy just the tank but for about $30 more you can buy the entire heater.Pump most likely is toast too being plastic. If there is little water in the black and gray tanks freezing will not bother them same with the hot water tank but the pipes and pump are another story.

More good news, how about the toilet, shower and facets ?

Next time around, you might want to consider one of these:-

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/blogs/tumbleweed/6936000-ski-lodge-on-wheels

Wow, that's awesome. More work (and money) than I think I could commit to something like that. Besides, it really is nice having a shower and toilet!

Ugh, sorry about WH and pump. We hope to use our camper for several winter camping trips, and I wonder about these systems.

I've got some learning to do, as we live in southern NM. Low temperatures are occasional, but certainly possible. I have not really winterized ours, I think. All I've done is drain fresh water and run the faucets till no more water comes out. My low point drains have been replaced with fittings that neither leak nor drain. Do I need rv antifreeze?

If we take ours out in the winter, wouldn't the inside heater keep water lines from freezing? Would leaving the water heater on while camping keep the WH from freezing? Heating the inside won't protect the lines from freezing?

I've worked really hard to fix all the lines that were leaking, and want to avoid freezing, but we usually do a lot of winter camping. Is it a bad idea to go where it gets below freezing and expect to use the water systems?

Ugh, sorry about WH and pump. We hope to use our camper for several winter camping trips, and I wonder about these systems.

I've got some learning to do, as we live in southern NM. Low temperatures are occasional, but certainly possible. I have not really winterized ours, I think. All I've done is drain fresh water and run the faucets till no more water comes out. My low point drains have been replaced with fittings that neither leak nor drain. Do I need rv antifreeze?

If we take ours out in the winter, wouldn't the inside heater keep water lines from freezing? Would leaving the water heater on while camping keep the WH from freezing? Heating the inside won't protect the lines from freezing?

I've worked really hard to fix all the lines that were leaking, and want to avoid freezing, but we usually do a lot of winter camping. Is it a bad idea to go where it gets below freezing and expect to use the water systems?

A good heater will keep the lines from freezing in my experience. The issue is that once you're done using it, you'll need to go through a complete winterization every time. That's the lesson I learned.

In Portland, it's incredibly rare that we get a cold snap like the one we just went through. The last time was four years ago. Regardless, I have the feeling that this is going to be an expensive lesson.

i dont think your alone i went to sell a load of scrap and they had six rv water heaters. all very swolen and split wide open from freezing. and some had evendence of welding all to no avail.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one question about this..:

It says you can't wash it??!

I can't imagine spending many nights, over weeks or months or save us all years, and never washing it. And it's for couples??

I was actually going to order it, but I'm hesitating because it says you can't wash it...

I have one question about this..:

It says you can't wash it??!

I can't imagine spending many nights, over weeks or months or save us all years, and never washing it. And it's for couples??

I was actually going to order it, but I'm hesitating because it says you can't wash it...

I wouldn't wash any sleeping bag. The fact is it's a surefire way to eventually ruin it. You can have them dry cleaned every season or two. The real trick is to use a bag liner when you're sleeping in one. I do with my backpacking bags. You could also just use a sheet set with a bag as big as this one. Besides...even if you could machine wash this one, you'd end up with a 200 lb water soaked bag that would probably wreck your washer and dryer! :)

That sleeping bag is 100% polyester. Of course you can wash it. Maufacturers just add those disclaimers so they won't be responsible for anything. Never wash something that is for outside use with leaves and dirt and bugs? Yuck

Linda S

I would only use the large washers side door at a laundrymat though. Less twisting of the fabric and filler so the insulating layer stays evenly distributed

Thanks Linda. Yeah, that's what I figured...large capacity commercial washer would probably be ok.

I mean...a double sleeping bag is for couples, right? Never wash it?...

I wanted it because of the way the bed in my Chinook works. I won't be using the cab over as a bed (that's for storage, and it's not a huge, spacious, stable cab over like in bigger toyhomes), so my bed is made from the dining room bench cushions. 4 cushions push together to form the bed, and it'll be set up and taken apart every night and morning. So I won't be taking the time to put sheets out and try to get them around 4 loose cushions. I figure a gigantic sleeping bag like that one would make it feel like a real bed, where I can spread out and not really feel like I'm in a sleeping bag. Then just roll it up every morning.

But if I spent a month in my camper, with an occasional shower...I'd be wanting to wash it.

The liner is a compromise, but I think bringing it into town and using a commercial washer every month or so is probably a good idea. Might not need the liner that way.

Yes easy is always better especially when your tired. Sounds like a good plan. I use a feather bed someone gave me with a duvet cover made from very good sheets and a comforter. When I want clean sheets I flip it over. When it needs to be washed only the cover goes in the washer. Rolls up pretty tight for me to store comforter and feather bed in the overhead. Very cushy and comfortable too

Linda S

We use a very similar sleeping bag. One side is heavier than the other. It is very convenient and warm, and importantly, big enough so we never feel uncomfortable. I hate it when sleeping bags twist around and feel constricting. I think avoiding a slippery outer fabric helps with that. It helps to unzip the top from the bottom when washing. Then each one can be washed in its own load.

I do prefer sheets and comforter, but making the bed is such an effort, we will probably stick with the bags. I like the idea of creating something custom like that Linda! For sure I'm going to come up with something for warmer month use.

Our sleeping bag is pretty ugly laying up there during the day, but gotta say, memory foam mattress topper and heavy flannel lined bag was pretty nice when we slept in the toy during Christmas vacation.

Holy moley, it's gonna get cold here in Asheville, NC tonight. -2F with wind chills of -35F tonight. I'll be interested to see how the little furnace in my Sunland Express holds up on a night like this. Trying to find leeward parking to stay out of the wind - my biggest challenge has been dealing with the cold leakage that comes around the window frames, especially from the big front window in the cab over. I haven't had the money, weather or time to do a fancy insulated panel for up there so I just throw a pillow against the window near my head to keep the draft off my face. I have a super heavy fleece blanket that I use as a mattress pad, a heavy sarape on top of that, and a combination of goose down and fleece blankets to roll up in. I wear sweats and an under armor too and usually stay pretty snug. worst case scenario - I have one of those Vietnam-era marine sleeping bags that's good down to -35F, but I find that too confining (slept in a tent in it all last summer). The furnace keeps up pretty well and is easy on the propane as long as I keep the thermostat at 60.

It seems like I could keep a lot of the heat from escaping from the coach if I could throw some heavy blankets against the big windows behind the venetian blinds. Also I need to come up with a covering for the bottom of the vent fans - they let in way too much light and probably let a lot of heat out, as well.

Just found out I have an option to stay indoors tonight if I like and I just may have to sit this cold-behind night out indoors...

Stay safe and stay inside. Hypothermia makes you loopy. You could wake up and your body temp already be too low for you to think properly and make the right decisions.

Linda S

Then get some reflectix and some stick on velcro and make some quick window insulation. The overhead you can wrap it all the way around and just push it in place. More stuck into every roof vent too

Thanks, Linda - got a solid offer to stay in tonight and I'm taking advantage of it! I'll get on the reflectix thing, got lots of Velcro. God bless that little engine, still kicking over with no gas pedal at 5F... I'll head back out when the mercury gets back above 20F on Wednesday...