1983 toyota dolphin, how does the furnace work?

custcomp

I am fixing up 1983 toyota dolphin and trying to figure everything out. Propane to the stove work and I found the furnace nearby which is also hooked up. Can't seem to get it to come on, any suggestions? The is a lighter on it and a knob that has a pilot light setting which is the first thing to try but no dice. Also has a thermostat on the wall...

I have an 84 dolphin and there are lighting instructions on the front of the furnace. I wouldn't know if they are the same for yours, but here are the steps to light mine.

First turn the thermostat all the way up and turn the switch on the thermostat to on.

Let it run about 5 minutes.

Turn the red knob to pilot position. Push it down, hold it down and press the "lighter" button. Mine is a square metal button to the right of the red knob. Locate a small hole that allows you to see into the furnace, mine is below the knob and switch. You should be able to see a small blue flame. If not, try a few times. When you see the pilot light, you can allow the red knob back up. Then turn the red knob to furnace or on.

These are the steps to light mine, and assuming everything is in working condition. . Trouble shooting could be a different thing.

Not sure if this applies to yours but mine the blower runs first for a min or more then the burner lights something about a sail switch that has to sense air flow, I hardly ever use it uses to much gas and battery plus very noisy.

Post the make and model #.

there were many brands and styles of furnaces used and over the years many "others" have been retrofitted so without knowing what you have it is impossible to help.