Heater blows cold air.

mason

Hi,

My heater was working fine until today. The fan comes on and the electric igniter sparks but no flame :-(

The batteries are new and I have 1/4 tank propane. Water heater works and the stove works as well. Any suggestion please.

post-5317-0-80923800-1384560513_thumb.jp

Maybe air in the propane line, light a burner and purge any air. Also plug her into shore power and see if it runs via AC.

Good luck!

Hi, Gary.

I have been using the heater for a while. So I suppose the air thing may not be the issue. And I did plug it to sure power and nothing happpened . From what I read in the internet the furnace needs cleaning. I wonder if any one has done any kind of cleaning on these furnaces.

Good evening.

There are 3 things that need to happen, thermostat, over heat switch, and sail switch before the gas valve will open. It will click and the fan will blow even if the chain is broken between the sail switch and the overheat but the gas valve won't open. Two things seem to fail, enough air to open the sail switch most often low battery or an obstruction (bees nest etc.) and a defective control board. Check on line for your model heater and you most likely can find a check list of things to check and how to do it. Other that take the heater out there really is no other way to deal with a cleaning be sure to get a gasket set before you remove it.

Hi, Maineah

I will check the model number tomorrow. It sounds complicated. As you say I have to get the gasket set before doing any thing.

Thanks.

Some thing interesting happened.While the fan was blowing the air and just before the spark I hit the side of the heater gently out of desperation and all of the sudden the flame came like a magic.:-) Now it is working. Hopefully it won't stall again. I wonder what happened there?

Thanks guys.

They are not hard to remove but they are real hard to work on under the cabinets Once it's out it actually can be run on 12 volts and propane if nothing else a good cleaning and new gaskets will go a long way to make it more reliable. While it's apart go through every thing mice do chew on wires bees do get inside and block the air flow with their nests.

My guess, based on your description, would be a sticky sail switch. Or a loose connection.

Hi Derek,

I can see that it sparks every time without me hitting the box of the heater box. But almost every time when I start the heater I have to hit the side of the box before the spark to get it going. Once it gets worked up it works Ok so my guess is that it is as you said sticky air flow sensor.

Do you know how to go about cleaning that air flow sensor?

Thanks a lot.

They are not hard to remove but they are real hard to work on under the cabinets Once it's out it actually can be run on 12 volts and propane if nothing else a good cleaning and new gaskets will go a long way to make it more reliable. While it's apart go through every thing mice do chew on wires bees do get inside and block the air flow with their nests.

Hi, Maineah,

Would you please answer the same question that I asked Mr Derek for me?

It might well be the igniter inside the fire box has came lose you should be able to see the spark through the window on the heater. Turn up the thermostat and watch for a spark. Once the sail switch and overheat have been proofed you should hear the gas valve open ( a clunk or click) then the igniter tries to fire the propane If it fails to light the gas valve will close and the entire process has to be repeated.

It might well be the igniter inside the fire box has came lose you should be able to see the spark through the window on the heater. Turn up the thermostat and watch for a spark. Once the sail switch and overheat have been proofed you should hear the gas valve open ( a clunk or click) then the igniter tries to fire the propane If it fails to light the gas valve will close and the entire process has to be repeated.

Thanks Maineah I noticed that the electric wire to the ignitor was a little loose . I tightened it and works great now. I am glad that you pointed it out to me. I will be back if it stopped working. Otherwise have a great time.

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...