Favorite grill

Debbit

With all the camping trips, I'm starting to really explore grilling. I've had a Cobb grill for a few years, we always take it along, and start some coals for supper. Recently bought a cheapie portable gas grill too.

I've been experimenting with charcoal (some is hotter) smoking, slow cooking on the Cobb grill.

Now even when home, I'm experimenting. Tonight, salmon and chicken tenders, red potatoes and zucchini grilled on the Cobb with a new hotter charcoal and mesquite wood for smoking. I have a lot to learn!

Put me in the cheapie gas grill and a Cobb grill group. Both have their place.

That bio lite is amazing! Hope you like the cobb. I've found it to be perfect for many things. For cooking really hot, not as much. I've found using more charcoal, and a brand that is advertised to burn "hotter" helps with this. Also, I found a grilling basket and a regular grill grate nice extras to have. Stores that have good bbq sections usually have them. My cobb came with a non stick plate that works great for roasting and cooking. It is healthier, because the moat catches the drippings, no flare ups. Load up with charcoal and when it's ready, put meat and veggies on, cover and forget it. My only complaint is the lack of searing or even browning sometimes. That's why I wanted the hotter charcoal and grilling basket. I've read that charcoals can vary greatly.

Yep the Cobb is sometime shy on the searing, that's what the cheap grill is for. But veggies, corn, potatoes, small roast and whole chickens its totally awesome.

You also need to WAIT until its hot enough to do what you want, rushing a meal on a Cobb doesn't work very good. BTW "loading up" a Cobb is only 8-9 charcoal brickets

I manage to use my little cheapy gas grill for everything. If I want to roast a chicken I just put a foil pan directly on the burner on one side and put the chicken above it. Catches the grease and makes it an oven when the lid is on. Can still grill my vegies on the other side when it's almost done. If I want to smoke something I just put in a foil package of wood chips. For 25 bucks or less you can buy an awful lot of them for the price of that Cobb

Linda S

. For 25 bucks or less you can buy an awful lot of them for the price of that Cobb

Linda S

Yea but then your not Kool

That's my speed Derek what size wheel do you recommend? I guess the shelf from the fridge would work fine.

I got our cobb on woot two or three years ago. It was $69. A steal, never saw it cheaper. It has held up and cooked so many meals, I've more tha gotten my money's worth. I'd buy it again.

The bag has gotten to be kind of a pain tho

Love the redneck grill!

Redneck grill, use a replacement BBQ grill. Some refer shelves are Cad or Chrome plated, not something you want to heat up and cook your lunch on.

The one I ordered did not come with a bag but that is OK, I can make one.

The fabric had a slippery coating on the inside and it's deteriorated. It is such a tight fit that I don't use it anymore. But the outside of the grill never gets greasy or dirty, and it fits perfectly in the under the stove cabinet. The cooking plate fits well enough in the sink to wash easily, and that's usually all I deal with. The well can be dumped/scraped out and is ready to use again.

Redneck grill, use a replacement BBQ grill. Some refer shelves are Cad or Chrome plated, not something you want to heat up and cook your lunch on.

Pretty much tong in cheek not some thing I would not take to a picnic. I find that most stuff that makes any grease is a real pain to clean maybe the cob things are easier I had a Road Trip grill worked great you could cook any thing on it but it took more time to clean than it did to cook not some thing I like to do on the road.

i use a little portable weber gas grill in the woods. at home a big weber kettle. in eastern wash state you can not use brikets in the woods during fire danger season . but you can use pressure gas bbqs or camp stoves. and the ultimate gas log propane powered artifacal portable campfire. i dont have one but is quite the deal. i have seen them.

Went to goodwill a few days ago, and saw a nice little portable stainless grill, perfect flame brand, for $35. I should have bought it. My cheapie gas grill is already cooking unevenly. But I was shopping for chairs, and didn't buy it. Went back the next day, and it was gone.

Still love the cobb tho, loaded it up (full basket, more than 8) with lump charcoal and timed the faster , hotter coals. Yes, it is hotter and faster. Sizzle on the grill...So now I'm going to pack 2 or 3 types of charcoal?!? I guess we can...

I am leaning toward a really good portable gas grill, but that kind of money is needed on other things

I read that too, and although I can find parts for sale, not the grill itself for sale in stores or on line. Probably good I didn't buy it. But it looked really nice, and so often people don't read directions, or use common sense..

• 1 month later...

If your looking for a 2 person fold flat portable cooker and smoker we love our PYROMID. Made in OR. I heard you can now buy them again, cooks 2 steaks with only 5 charcoal pieces. We take it everywhere even kayaking. Type in PYROMID in amazon they sell 2 sizes and I see YouTube has a short clip on them. Wonderful storage as it folds flat in its own bag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love my Weber Q but it's a bit bulky for carrying in the Toyohome. It's absolutely the best grill I have ever owned. Yes they are a bit pricey, but you'll probably never need to buy another. The great thing about the Weber is that if you ever need a part, quality parts are always available. I finally had to replace my igniter after three years of outside use.

The heat distribution on a Weber is fantastic. I always thought that a grill was just a grill and that there was little difference in how they cooked until I got my Weber.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new favorite. During pres. Day sale, camping world had the Fuego Element grill on sale for $49. Regular price is $169! Got one, and I LOVE it. Good size, elegant design, well made, heavy duty, quality grill surface and it cooks beautifully!

Wow. Just last weekend it was still on camping world's website for $70. It's not there now. My camping world had two on the shelf, I feel lucky to have gotten one now.