First $6500 grabs it.

waiter

Sorry to announce that I'm selling the Dolphin - I'll be upgrading to a larger unit.

First $6500 grabs it, I can deliver for costs.

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/listing/2030/988_Dolphin__Latest_upgrades_on_all_systems.html

I'll give people on this list first shot, and in a couple weeks 'll put it up on e-bay.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John, What do you plan on getting? I do think about upgrading to a larger unit myself but something keeps me grounded to my Toy. Time will tell.

Good luck sir!

Gary

We went through this 3 years ago. The Toy Escaper was perfect for weekends, but sorta got a bit small on a 10 day trip to CA. So we stepped a bit just before we spent a month traveling from WY to FL and back. The trip to FL ended up being 3 people something that could have never been done with the toy.

Ended up with a 26ft Georgie Boy with a Workhorse chassis and a Vortec engine. We get 10 mpg at 65 mpg, but I now have a 5000lb hitch and can pull a towd easily.

IMHO the Ford V-10 powered offerings are all 6-8mpg RVs no matter what size they are.

Sorry to announce that I'm selling the Dolphin - I'll be upgrading to a larger unit.

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/listing/2030/988_Dolphin__Latest_upgrades_on_all_systems.html

I'll give people on this list first shot, and in a couple weeks 'll put it up on e-bay.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm right behind you on this. I need a bigger unit. Thinking of a class c on a chevy chassis.

Very nice unit John .. It looks just like ours we bought about 6 weeks ago

I'm sure you will have no problems finding a new home for it .

We are new to a Toyota camper & up they r small !! ... Especially if you have been used to more room .

We have owned a class c born free 460 ford 7-8 mpg... C class coachman ( lots of room )32ft tag ford 460 7 mpg ... Truck camper never used it ( kids fell out the back as it was on my 1ton flat bed lol .... 36 ft 5th wheel ,pulled with ford 1ton 9-11mpg .....

Our Rv right now is a 99 damon challenger class A no slides , mint condition with a chevy vortec & tow a jeep behind , lots & lots of basement storage & so nice to drive & for some crazy reason I've averaged 11.5 mpg .... Plus our new to us Toyota , our wheels to Central America this winter ... I've even thought of towing it behind the class a !!!

post-7414-0-02084500-1384046385_thumb.jp

We bought the unit 3 years ago specifically to drive to Alaska. It made it all the way to Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse, Arctic Ocean). Its since made several trips across the United States.

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

We're looking for more room, probably a 10 year old 30-35 ft Bounder.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (for sale)

Waiter,

I've looked at quite a few 30-35 foot Bounders and I've got to say they are probably the most affordable 30-foot-plus class A's out there. The only other class A that I'd be interested in is a 28-30 foot Flair.

After almost twenty years with my Dolphin and, having taken the upgrades as far as I really want to, one of them might be in my future, also. Good luck to you...

John

John, Would it be too expensive for you keeping it? Yes 6 grand is a good down payment on a bigger rig but are there any situations were you would rather drive a toy?

Some points on why I'm not upgrading at this time:

- Cost of registration based on gross vehicle weight. Currently mine is $75.00 extra per year. A bigger rig could easily double that.

- Insurance currently is $10.00 per month. A bigger rig would probably triple that depending on the year and make.

- Gas, well we sorta know that one. ;)

- Storage, If upgrading I would probably have to store my rig off-site due to the size. Guessing an extra $50.00 per month.

Cheers!

No shortage of very good running low mile RVs in the US ... They are every place u look .

Gary $6 k will buy all kinds of RV & if you add $4k to it y'all find a reel nice unit .....

If somone thinks doubling a $75 registration to $150 is a deal killer then they maybe should not be owning a rv in the 1st place .. Any fill up at the pump one time is going to be that much .

Insurance at $10 per month is ... Well I just don't understand that bit ... Full comprehensive insurance on a Toyota in Canada is close to $700 a year ... Maybe a bit high but I guess we do pay our kids $18.50 per hour to pack grocerys at the store in town .

How can any insurance company give full coverage on any motor for less than 30cents per day ?

My Toyota bought in the US at online auction ..1990 dolphin .. Very nice condition $2400

My Damon class A bought in CA US & drove home to Canada , 1 owner 36k miles , mint condition except sun damage to lower paint on storage doors ( $40 of paint & a 3inch roller fixed ) $8600 bought online at a cancer charity auction .

I've found my best combination .. My Toyota :) & My Damon :) .. I have the best of both worlds for less than $12k ..

Enjoy the long weekend & let us not forget the fallen that gave the ultimate in life

$75 of the registration is only 1/3 of the cost here in the west, highway and transportation fees take up the other majority.

Flip of the coin is what life is right?

-Grass is greener on the other side

or

-Don't know what you got till it's gone!

In the end let's hope John sticks around and gives us that great technical advice we need on our Toys!

Ya know there is a reason that they make both big and little rv.. Different strokes for different folks

Ya got that right WME

Our kids love the little Toyota ... The call it the Hobbit Camper ..

Camper out there for all ! ... Camping is so much fun

John, hope you find the perfect rig for next adventures! I can't help but chuckle a bit though, because I'm struggling with the decision to sell my westfalia, and commit to the much larger toy! Really would be best to hold on to it, but it would fund so many improvements if I sold it.

in wash state the tabs are 112 dollors a year in cludes a r v disposal fee not for sewer waste i asked yes different strokes for different folks we do not need or want anything larger. but that is why they come in big or small

bummer. i will be honest though being able to tow a toad makes up for a lot of gas mileage problems and increases personal freedom by being able to pack up and go.

i know im upgrading to a sprinter when I do though. 20 mpg and towing a car , getting a standard hightop van. steel walls too.

• 2 weeks later...

SOLD - Person came over, we spent a couple hours going thru it. He put a deposit on it and will pick it up in a couple weeks..

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (SOLD)

SOLD - Person came over, we spent a couple hours going thru it. He put a deposit on it and will pick it up in a couple weeks..

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (SOLD)

John,

Way to go, on the sale of your Dolphin! I'm sure that the new owner will be pleased with all of the work that you had put into it and all of your wonderful upgrades.

I wish to thank you for all of your many posts, tips and information that you have provided, here on this site. I hope that we will continue to hear from you about your future adventures in a larger motorhome. Speaking of a larger rig, my tip for you would be: If I ever sold my Dolphin, I would be most definitely move up to about a 24'-26' 'Tiger' motorhome. These baby's come with 4 wheel drive and a big ol' honkin' V-8 diesel!

Happy trails to you and God's speed be with you!

~Riverman77

• 3 weeks later...

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Sold yet? I just emailed you.

Sold yet? I just emailed you.

Yes, John sold his rig on 12-1-13 (see post #18 on page 2).