Whats up with the Warning Points?

Wow! I've seen forums give out Karma for doing good things but warnings? Couldn't you be more discreet about it?

That alone is enough to deter me from participating here. What a way to run a forum!

I think that the moderators and members do a good job of keeping things civilized on this great forum. If I had not found this place before I bought my RV, I would have made a huge mistake and bought a money pit that I would have regretted as long as I owned it.

Every forum needs a method of reigning in members that can't control themselves. I doubt that they have to give out many warnings.

Wow! I've seen forums give out Karma for doing good things but warnings? Couldn't you be more discreet about it?

That alone is enough to deter me from participating here. What a way to run a forum!

I don't think this was a function added by the owners of the site. Just something that came with the site software. Last year about this time we had a massive attack by scammers and security had to be upgraded. This function might have been part of the higher security level. Like I said I have never seen it used by any of the moderators.

Linda S

Yes it’s a nit I admit but put it in this perspective. A forum is meant to bring folks together to collaborate and bring in new ideas. The intention is that most folks that join will be good at heart. The forum encourages constructive input and camaraderie amongst the member base.

So you want to encourage people to join this forum and when they get here you label them as a potential “Bad Guy”???

Give the administrator a kick in the pants and have them shield this flag from the member base and make it only available to administrators and moderators. Why would you label your member base in a negative way? Give them the karma to be potentially good ! :-)

Seems there are many out there who view this as being negative, freedom of speech, etc... Note administrators can disable it for IP board for which this forum runs on. Also this option has been around for awhile so the forum administrator probably enabled it.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/359235-warning-points/

If removing it means the security level is lowered, not a chance. When we were attacked by malware last year my computer got infected with a key reading virus that I couldn't get rid of with any of my available virus software programs. Had to take it in and pay some bucks and change all my passwords and and and. Nightmare. Not everyone online is nice Gary and the mean ones don't care about toyota motorhomes. They just care about stealing your info and ruining your life.

Linda S

Not everyone online is nice Gary and the mean ones don't care about toyota motorhomes. They just care about stealing your info and ruining your life.

Linda S

Agree with you there Linda! Does your team plan to use this function at all?

Anyway enough yapping from me on this. Gotta get back to talking about Toyhomes, that is where the value is.

Cheers!

Gary

Part of the Police State mentality.....think that's an extreme statement? A few years ago a read a Time Life series on Germany between the two world wars.the government kept track of all its citizens,the book showed a photograph of an actual document with a list of violations a citizen could be monitored for .most involved political activity ,at the bottom of the list was a category for 'grumbler'...I'm outspoken and a grumbler, probably will be the first to receive my cyber punishment....its all so foolish...Bill

Gary, did you read what Linda wrote? She stated that only the individual member can see their warning points. I can't see yours and you can't see mine. I don't see how that is putting anything out for others to see.

Gary, did you read what Linda wrote? She stated that only the individual member can see their warning points. I can't see yours and you can't see mine. I don't see how that is putting anything out for others to see.

Bob, Just like Bill mentions in his post above we are carrying a grumbler in our profile that is monitored by the moderators (police). The moderators would be the only ones to see them on their request, just like the German police did to their citizens. German citizens wouldn't ask to see their brethren papers, just as members here would not want to see other members points, only the moderators. I have to agree this warning point category makes gives the member community a sense of a police state.

That aside the community at invisionpower, the ones who develop this software, are having a rough time dealing with this category. They cannot roll-back the points once they are given. One member has a solution but is charging money for the modification. To me it looks like a nightmare to moderate. I reckon our moderators no little about it and will probably leave alone due to it's complexity.

I have to live with what goes here at the forum, when you look at the post 911 vision of us, we are all terrorists. ;)

Cheers!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly the warning system is in place for those who are uncivil user's. In other words being a jerk to other users in an uncivil manner etc.. Or the posting of inappropriate material etc.. I don't care what anybody discusses or their personal beliefs about any subject manner. I do care that every member of this board operates in a civil manner and treat each other in a civil manner.

That said, with 6000 members and almost 50000 posts no one has ever received a warning for being uncivil. But there have been some close calls.

It is hoped that at some point Invision Power Services will include the option to remove the warning points label that you all see below your avatars.

As Linda said, only you as a user can see your warning points.No one else except admin and our moderators can see that number. The warning system was activated to give moderators a tool to deal with unruly members. It has nothing to do with free speech.

If IPS fails to give us a switch to turn off the warning display then I will eventually remove it via a template modification.