Bbq storage & extra storage

Nicehobbits

Hi all

Hope everyone's having a great weekend ....

So the next step on out mini is to try a little extra storage ...

Small bbq

Fold up Chairs

Extra fuel tank

2 kayaks

Don't want to go with a trailer ... Also no big rear hitch carrier ...

What's everyone got ?? ..

I'm kinda thinking of building out of 3/4 plywood a water proof box with lift up lid right where the spare tire Is bolted up to the camper ... Something I could open & fold down to give a cooking area .

What ya think

I'm thinking of some kind of bumper or frame mounted shelf off the back. We took dog crates, what a pain! My small Cobb grill fits in the cabinet space under the stove. Charcoal is stored inside the grill lid. Tools and lynx levelers fit in the side compartment. On this shelf, I'd put dog crates, battery pack, chairs, maybe a bike. On my westfalia it would interfere with the hatch, but on the toy, it would work.

Debbit ...

I kinda thinking the same too ...

I looked today & I pulled the LPG tank out , that's a good storage stop too ... I would like to incorporate a larger LPG tank in a upright position someplace & use for both bbq & camper cooking needs ...

These toyota frames don't look to to strong & I'm not sure how much of a heavy load I would want to put on the tail of it .... Especially when your driving is taking into Mexico & we like to explore off the tracks a bit .

Have also looked at a 14g boat outboard gas tank .. Just need to find a stop to build it in .

We don't need to much for our type of traveling , I kinda wish we could take some of our inside storage & have it outside ..

We need more millage range & outside cooking

Not exactly what you wanted, but some ideas to look at. http://www.letsgoaero.com/products-page/cargo-carriers-hitch-luggage-box-tow/enclosed-cargo-carrier-luggage-hitch-boxes/

http://tailgatecargobox.com/Home_Page.html

in action

P.S. 3/4 ply wood is heavy a 60"x18x18 would weigh a bunch even empty

WME .. Thanks I get what you are saying about the ply .... I want it to fit in between the rear lights area , not obstructing the ladder . Thanks for the links

This is what we use, I made it from 5/8" plywood, inside I carry a 20lb propane BBQ tank,(upright) 5 gal jerry can of gas, 2 garden chairs and a small folding BBQ, plus the two bikes hanging on a bike carrier attached to the box lid.

My son welded up anpost-1246-0-02251000-1381721939_thumb.jp angle iron frame that is bolted to the frame extensions underneath the rear of the coach, so far it as stayed together doing three trips down to the bottom of Baja Mexico and back, over rough roads Topes an all! Hope to be leaving in early January on our fourth trip south.

Wouldn't want to be in a bad rearender with this set up, but I do drive accordingly knowing the risk of one! having said that the fixed propane tank on our rig is situated just behind the driver and low down, so wouldn't want to be T-boned on the drivers side either!

Driving in Mexico I do like to have the extra gas and propane on hand, and hate carrying them inside the coach.

Mike

Thanks Mike ..

Now that's what I'm thinking of doing ... Awesome job ..

We plan / hope to get out of the cold by late December .. We may go down the baja & then cross to the mainland to continue south .

Where do you guys call home & where is home in baja Mexico .. Any good tips for camping

Thanks again for posting the photo ..

This is what we use, I made it from 5/8" plywood, inside I carry a 20lb propane BBQ tank,(upright) 5 gal jerry can of gas, 2 garden chairs and a small folding BBQ, plus the two bikes hanging on a bike carrier attached to the box lid.

My son welded up anattachicon.gifP1030953.jpg angle iron frame that is bolted to the frame extensions underneath the rear of the coach, so far it as stayed together doing three trips down to the bottom of Baja Mexico and back, over rough roads Topes an all! Hope to be leaving in early January on our fourth trip south.

Wouldn't want to be in a bad rearender with this set up, but I do drive accordingly knowing the risk of one! having said that the fixed propane tank on our rig is situated just behind the driver and low down, so wouldn't want to be T-boned on the drivers side either!

Driving in Mexico I do like to have the extra gas and propane on hand, and hate carrying them inside the coach.

Mike

great job on box!!!!

We have 2 kayaks on the roof. I made a rack up with 1.5x2" aluminum to span the width of MH (did not want to put weight on roof). I got a telescoping ladder that I lean against the side and slide the kayaks up or down. The telescoping ladder is very stable, much better than trying to use a step ladder. I can put both kayaks up or down in about 10 minutes.

RVdaytrader .......

Like photos Please already ? .

Hi Hobbits

Home for us is in the Fraser Valley of BC, about 12 miles North of the Sumas USA border crossing, as for Baja we like it all, and the further South we get we like it more! If you do decide to drive down through Baja I would recommend you check out the Bajanomads website, there you'll get up-to date road conditions, camp sites ect.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

sd bolt dude, thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

RVdaytrader I would like to see photos of your roof rack too. thanks all Mike