Securing Propane Tank

holyghostfire

WARNING - DO NOT USE THAT TANK.

Your LP tank appears to be a regular ole BBQ tank. That tank is meant to be used in the Vertical position.

You run a risk of liquid propane getting thru the regulators and into the low pressure side. when that happens, you will have a flame thrower next time you turn on the stove, oven, frig, water heater, of furnace.

If your going to mount the and use the tank sideways, then get a Horizontal tank.

http://www.propanetankstore.com/shop/20-lb-5-gallon-horizontal-tank-cylinder-with-gauge/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It looks like a standard 20lb tank. Doesn't it have a Amerigas label on it? as long as its up to code with overfill protection vale, they should fill it.

But don't use it laying on its side. that tank needs to be vertical.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

There is no way to use a tank in vertical position. There is no where it will fit in my Sunrader. It looks like I will have to purchase a horzontial tank with a bracket holder. It seems some places will refill without taking the tank out and other places will refill with the tank in.

Amerigas probably only does exchange tanks. That does not mean some one else can't. Great tank for the BBQ but not the MH. That tank has a float that is supposed to shut the gas off if it falls over or is put on it's side but that does not make it safe to use horizontal.

as to the two stage regulater my local rv shop told me the single stage regulater is no longer legal to install. if the single diafram has a problem you get full tank pressure in your applinces or maybe a blow up fire etc. around here in wa st amerigas has some bulk plants and filling sits never been a problem filling a legal tank.

you maybe able to find a good used horzontal propane tank i bought one in a auto yard for ten dollors took it to a large propane bulk plant payed 5 dollors for recertifaction good for 5 years

If you find a horizontal used tank and the valve is in the center don't buy it, it can't be re-certified has to be on the top like Jeffrey's photo.

The older tanks are exempt from the Over Fill Protection (OFP) requirement. I carry the "Exempt" letter with me, but have never had to show it. This grandfathers all older horizontal tanks from the OFP valve requirement. Ive never had anyone refuse to fill my tank.

The inspection is just a simple "not rusted out and doesn't leak" visual inspection. They put a little sticker on mine that has since fallen off, cost $5, and again, no-one has ever asked for it.

Keep in mind, you cannot use a horiz tank vertically, it must be on its side with the correct orientation.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You maybe right john the law is very vague on this, horizontal tanks made prior to 1998 may well be exempt our supplier said they were not maybe it is the only ones with out a bleeder valve. But I guess they still fall under the 12 year inspection that is pretty much visual..

never had a problem in wash state with the valve being in the center my two used tanks checked out and are both old style in the center they are dated 1972 and 1973 both are way older then my moterhome. new with a gauge is better nicer and never have to worry about legal things.