transmission

Redwood

hello, I am Looking to buy a toyota motorhome.. I'm leaning toward AUTO trans.. lazy I guess? but, I see many ads for standard trans, and, I am Overlooking them..

we just took a trip, and when in Seattle area.. traffic was HORRIBLE... I can just Imagine.. riding the clutch on such an occasion...

so, I'm not so worried about best gas milage, more to the point.. problems with driving with a standard, AND, eventual expense of replacement clutch, etc..

thanks

I own 4 cyl. 4spd. its a 79 named Odd Duck. It has 93,710 miles on it and the same clutch/pressure plate and throwout bearing. It doesn't slip or chatter. I see lots of Toy MH on the forums reply they are burning up the auto in the 4 cyl.'s. Using the OD is the culpit! So if you get one try not to use the OD, get a big trans cooler and don't run trans lines to radiator, run to cooler and back to trans! All this happens as the trans gets to hot.

• 1 month later...
hello, I am Looking to buy a toyota motorhome.. I'm leaning toward AUTO trans.. lazy I guess? but, I see many ads for standard trans, and, I am Overlooking them..
Don't know where you are finding the manual trannys? Almost all the motorhomes are automatic. I very seldom see a manual.

My choice would be a manual, preferably a 5 speed. I'm stuck with the automatic until something goes wrong with it. Then who knows? What I would really like is a small turbo diesel with a 5 or 6 speed.

well, I found my Sunrader! .. and, about 3 min into driving it home I was SO Glad it was an auto.. NO way would I be as happy with a standard.. sorry, did that when I was a teen, NO need now... still averaged about 15 mpg on my way home.. ( running AC Sucked the gas! oh my!)