Dolphin owner from across the pond.

Ppr

Hi all just thought I would introduce myself here, my name is Paul and earlier this summer I became the owner of a 1987 toy dolphin, now I know they aren't plentifully in the US but they are even rarer over here in the UK. I have had rv's in the past but they're just too big for the off beat country lanes in rural England. When I saw this dolphin it was a no brainer all the big rv benefits like large fridge, furnace an efficient water heater all that and a good sized over cab bed we could leave made up ( have you seen the over cab beds in European motorhomes) Ethel, as she has been dubbed by the family, is in quite good condition and I can only find one area that may need some remedial work over he next year or so, the roof is good with no sagging at all, good thing is as it's a hilux parts are very easy to find at the local motor spares shop. Well that's enough for now but no doubt I'll be asking some crazy questions in the future so thanks for reading. Paul.

Nice unit ...

I'm new to with a Toyota also ... I'm a new Canadian of 10 years EY tooo !! ...

We got deported from Staffordshire lol ...

Your Toyota will be a big rig in the UK ey

Yes Derek !! Manitoba

PPR...

The vauxhall I rented in the UK about 10 years ago was too big for those rural roads, it was like playing

chicken with on coming cars..that is both of us held the center (centre) lane until about 100 feet away

from each other until we each started to hug the side of the road.

Any recommendations on motorhome (caravan) rentals in the UK, I was thinking about a family trip to the UK

next year and thought it would be fun to rent a motorhome to tour the country...plus more roomly, there will

be 5 of us.

Dennis...

Derek we spend a lot of our time in the Lake District and can't stand the mint cake, Nicehobbits yes reasonably large for the uk but were starting to get some 27 footers from the uk builders, Bufbooth I once foolishly followed my sat nav to a campsite in Somerset I turned down a road that didn't look too bad then about 400yards down there was a sign saying unsuitable for hgv and the lane got norrower a narrower fortunately I found a farmers gate to turn round in @the time I had a 32 foot Damon intruder now I don't trust sat navs. There are quite a few motorhome hire companies in the uk one of the best is www.justgo.uk.com Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Edited by Ppr

Oh yes yorkshire puds and onion gravy Mmmmmmmm. Linda don't know how many toy motorhomes are in Britain but it can't be many I've never seen one before and I've been to a fair few rv shows.

Oh yes yorkshire puds and onion gravy Mmmmmmmm. Linda don't know how many toy motorhomes are in Britain but it can't be many I've never seen one before and I've been to a fair few rv shows.

Well we have one other member here Chief Dave who is in Scotland.

Linda S

I bet you can't believe us complaining about gas prices. It is coming down from near $4. I just filled up for $3.25/US gallon yesterday. What are gas prices over there right now?

Bob just checked with today's exchange rate, currently petrol/gas is around £6 per uk gallon which works out to around $10. That's one of the other reasons I down sized from the Damon with a 454ci doing about 10 to the gallon .

Does anyone know the gas tank capacity for the 1987 / 900 model, the spec sheet says 17 US gallons which converts to 14.5 UK gallons however I can only ever get around £60 in from the needle showing empty which suggests 10 UK gallons or is there a large reserve befor the fuel light comes on, thanks in advance.

This list is so cool and now finding a newbie over in the UK. Now we gotta work on swapping Mini RV's vacations abroad. They come over and use ours and we got there and use theirs. I have a 87 Sunrader and have not gone anywhere as yet.

Also for any Euro lurkers on the list. I retired from US Customs here at the port of Brunswick, GA 2 yrs ago. It would be very easy for Europeans to come over and purchase a nice Toyota RV and then ship it out of Brunswick to South Hampton in England. Also for us U.S. customers you can go to Europe and buy a lets say 25 yr old or more MiniCooper or whatever, and ship it back to Brunswick, Ga and your total customs duties are 2.5% of the purchase price. So a 10,000 dollar vehicle would come right in for $250 in duties and as long as it it is 25 yrs old or older it does not have to comply with EPA or DOT regulations. I think an old Austin or Morris Minicooper would tow nicely behind our mini RV's/

Just thinking here.

Randy the south Georgia randy....

Just watch out for Minis that have had their IDs swapped to make them 25 years old! :)

I busted several Minis that came in saying they was like 73 or 76 models and I find airbags, air conditioning and more and told the owners they go back out or get crushed. I could have proved they was like 91 or 92 models. When I googled Mini Vin tag fraud there was whole websites telling how to do it. I noticed several years ago there was numerous minis in New Zealand and Austraila and fairly reasonable but shipping is a bit more to Tampa/ Another neat car is the Pumas from Brazil. All VW based and very light weight.

Randy in GA

Hey Randy rv swapping is a cool idea, as I've said when I saw the dolphin for the first time I was hooked nothing else was going to do. but then when you look at the other cars I have I'm maybe living on the wrong continent, I also have a 84 dodge b250 day van and 51 chevy styleline.

Hey Randy rv swapping is a cool idea, as I've said when I saw the dolphin for the first time I was hooked nothing else was going to do. but then when you look at the other cars I have I'm maybe living on the wrong continent, I also have a 84 dodge b250 day van and 51 chevy styleline.

Wow you are a true collector. Sounds like it's time for a tour of our car museums and maybe hit a Barrett-Jackson auction while your here.

Linda S

Noooooooooooo Linda it would cost me a fortune, the auction that is, America yes please would like to retire there but doubt if I will to afford it.

Well I'm back after a few days away in the dolphin, it absolutely poured with rain the whole time but I'm really happy about that, why I hear you all ask............ Well this is the first time it's rained hard since we've had Ethel and I'm happy to report that all my resealing of skylights etc is good no leaks whatsoever so I'm a very happy bunny next job when it's under cover for winter is to take out all the windows and resealing them as it looks like they haven't been done since it was built.

Well I'm back after a few days away in the dolphin, it absolutely poured with rain the whole time but I'm really happy about that, why I hear you all ask............ Well this is the first time it's rained hard since we've had Ethel and I'm happy to report that all my resealing of skylights etc is good no leaks whatsoever so I'm a very happy bunny next job when it's under cover for winter is to take out all the windows and resealing them as it looks like they haven't been done since it was built.

The windows don't ever need to be removed if they are not leaking. Butyl tape is a lifetime product, it does not get hard except along edges that are exposed to air. I have a 35 year old motorhome and the butyl rubber tape that was used on it is still soft and sticky.

I hear a lot of yakking on this forum about removing and resealing all the windows just because those people think it is a good idead to do. But aluminum framed windows only need to be removed and rebedded in new butyl tape if they are actually leaking.

You might just be right but the wall is soft at the bottom of the drivers side large window so water has been getting in somewhere and it's not obvious where from but the sealer down the front of the window doesn't look cleaver, it looks like someone at some time has dug it out and put some other sealant in and maybe caused a leak so maybe only that window will come out.

Well I have done the windows on 2 Sunraders and there was no butyl tape there. Only old fashioned putty tape that had dried completely and leaked. Someone at some time must have redone yours Karin. My Toyota Sunrader I bought from the son of the original owner and had only 30,000 miles on it when I got it and I know it had never been done before. I have done one other motorhome windows from the 80's and it had putty tape too. All of them more crumblely than sticky. I haven't done a Dolphin but from the many other posts about leaks sounds like they were made with putty tape too. yeah fix the windows and be sure. Not that big of a job really

Linda S

if you wait until they leak on any camper it's already too late. Damage has been done cause you won't see the leak right away

You might just be right but the wall is soft at the bottom of the drivers side large window so water has been getting in somewhere and it's not obvious where from but the sealer down the front of the window doesn't look cleaver, it looks like someone at some time has dug it out and put some other sealant in and maybe caused a leak so maybe only that window will come out.

Looks like you will have some structural work to repair the wall to then. That certainly expands the job doesn't it?

I have some neighbors at the yard where I store my motorhome who are doing something similar. Nice young couple with their very first RV and no prior knowledge of them. But at the front seams and the around some of the windows the sealants failed and the walls are now delaminated. I can attest to the fact that eterna bond tape is not going to be a very good fix for a leaking corner seam having seen how it failed on that rig.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I have just bought a Dolphin, 1989, will post pics soon.

Be great to hook up with anyone from the UK who also has one :)

Nice one.

Cake. x

Silly question piecacake but does yours have any blue on it ? I looked at one for sale in Leicester last year that was blue n cream ?

Edited by Ppr

Paul,

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. My name is Paul too and I live here in The Colonies. I too, have a 1987 Dolphin. I live on the Middle Coast (Gulf of Mexico) and near New Orleans. If you ever get over this way, look me up. We would be happy to put you up for awhile and show you the sights. There's not much curry around here but we do have plenty of seafood and lots of good old Cajun food from down on da bayou.

Also, I'm into old cars too. I have too many projects and visitors ask me what I do with all the old cars I tell them that I watch them rust

Take care and keep in touch.

Paul.