rear brakes 1985 - four cylinder - Toyota Rader Motorhome

Gerald

Hello everyone from Gerald in Nova Scotia Canada:

Last year my wife and i purchased a 1985 - Four Cylinder - Toyota Rader Motorhome.

It is now due for the yearly motor vehicle inspection required in Nova Scotia in order to legally keep it on the road.

In Nova Scotia, as part of the yearly safety inspection, all wheels must be pulled in order to permit front and rear brake examination.

This morning, i was informed by a mechanic that the rear axels may have to be pulled in order to remove the rear brake drumbs, which means i will need new seals, and they may not be readily available in this area.

Can anyone tell me if this particular motorhome must have the rear axels pulled in order to remove the rear brake drumbs ????

TKS, Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Don't know if you found out the information you wanted or not. When I first bought my MH in 2005 I had to get it safety inspected here in Virginia. I heard the mechanics beating on the rear brake drums as if they were stuck. I passed the inspection but they said I would need new rear brakes before the 2006 inspection. I have the 6 lug, 1-ton rear end which DOES require the axles to be pulled. New seals are needed when putting everything back together. I went out and bought everything I needed and replaced everything myself, even after finding that the rear brake shoes looked brand new with no wear. The dummies at the inspection station didn't know how to get the brake drums off so they just lied to me, just to cover their bottoms in case the shoes were really worn down.

Allen

83 Sunrader

If you have the 6 bolt one ton, there should be a rubber plug on the backside of the brake that can be removed to check the condition of the shoes.

WME

• 14 years later...

Lots of info and PNs.

The front is dependent on the year of your "pickup."  You can find everything on RockAuto, but it does take some study of that list in the thread above and some time carefully vetting the parts.  On Rock Auto they will call it the 1-tom chassis, and motorhome kinda interchangeably.  

A local parts house, Like Advanced Auto, can also order you the right parts.  Hopefully.  Don't call on the phone, go in person with that parts list.  The good news about this is if you end up with the wrong parts, it is much easier to exchange them.  The bad news is, it will usually cost a little more.  Probably well worth the additional cost though.  You will get a warranty on most things this way.  And again, swapping out wrong parts will be much easier.   For the main brake bits, drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders, the chances of getting the wrong parts on the first try are actually  pretty high.  

Where I order my stuff online is on the higher dollar parts.  Like a master cylinder.  I got one I "might use someday" for like $50 from Rock Auto.  But that same part local was $200.  And I was picking it up as a "maybe I need this"...  $50 is worth it, $200, not so much.  

2 hours ago, WME said:

Lots of info and PNs.

Great list. The poster probably used the same trick that I used. I researched the factory part number on rock auto (great parts data) then switch to Amazon for usually lower price and free shipping. With Prime the parts arrive within 2 business days.