hi my toyhome seems to start to overheat on long trips.

im not sure if the radiator is just clogged or if its a high pressure hg leak but it seems to only show up in 100 miles trips or if im stuck idling in traffic.

so im going to replace the radiator

toyota truck radiators are so cheap they are like 60$ shipped online. but I was wondering if anyone has a link to a good deal on an upgraded one.

i already replaced all the hoses so I would prefer one that fits directly to the hoses not one made for the v6

i have a 85 with 22re

Well this is what I replaced mine with and it's way cheaper than I paid. Not 60 bucks but I feel at least a 2 row is a necessity and I wasn't going to be happy with plastic parts. CFS has a rep for quality products.

http://www.amazon.com/CSF-Toyota-4Runner-Pickup-Radiator/dp/compatibility-chart/B000CFTJL4

I flushed and flushed my radiator and was sure it had to be something else. Not till I got one of those temp guns and found out the whole middle was clogged and not cooling. Doesn't even get to halfway mark anymore

Linda S

My camper is much smaller than yours, but with a correctly functioning cooling system, it never comes near half way on the gauge. I personally think that a functioning system will do the job. No need to upgrade.

I had a CSF radiator once and it cracked very soon after installing it...but my grandad was up pretty high in that company and sent it to me for free. Wonder if it was a second!

Are OEM radiators only single row?

I just bought a new radiator for my truck and it's all metal. But maybe it's easier to find all metal radiators for older trucks? In all my searching I don't think I saw a single plastic radiator for a 78.

linda im strongly betting my problem is the radiator.

the alternator belt does whine a bit on start up and thats attached to the water pump. but the water pump itself has no play in it.

i dont know what kind of heater gun you mean.

it seems to consume water too but again only on 100 miles trips. it wont use water for six months around town.

i think im looking for 4 row but any radiator is fine. if i was positive my radiator was clogged then i wouldnt need an upgraded one...

I could just go for

ebay link here upcoming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COOLING-RADIATOR-UNIT-84-95-TOYOTA-PICKUP-84-91-4RUNNER-2-4L-AUTO-A-T-/390516441331?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1985%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3APickup%7CSubmodel%3ADLX%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.4L&hash=item5aec9800f3&vxp=mtr

Stock is a 2 row. I up graded to a 3 row. Never overheated, even pulling a trailer over a 10,000 ft pass

Linda, I never thought to use my infra-red thermometer to check my radiator for blockage. I will be doing that next time I use the RV. I also have a Gold Wing cycle with a temp gauge showing running a little warm. I will use the thermometer on that also.

I also use my thermometer to spot check my tires while traveling. When I stop, I check tire temps, if they are all the same temp, I don't bother checking pressure every stop, only in the morning.

• 1 month later...

i checked with the guys at toyota nation

overall the 3.0 v6 radiator is almost a plug and play. the difference is its taller but the hoses etc go to the same place

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-88-89-90-91-92-93-94-95-TOYOTA-PICKUP-4RUNNER-3-0L-RADIATOR-SALE-/380709182147

it is a one row aluminum radiator but the way it works it has more cooling that a 3 row metal radiator.

overall its my most important upgrade/fix. in dollars this one is cheaper than replacing the metal one i have thats clogged.

• 4 weeks later...

hi my toyhome seems to start to overheat on long trips.

im not sure if the radiator is just clogged or if its a high pressure hg leak but it seems to only show up in 100 miles trips or if im stuck idling in traffic.

so im going to replace the radiator

toyota truck radiators are so cheap they are like 60$ shipped online. but I was wondering if anyone has a link to a good deal on an upgraded one.

i already replaced all the hoses so I would prefer one that fits directly to the hoses not one made for the v6

i have a 85 with 22re

My 85 now has the ALL ALUMINIUM 2 Row Cross Flow radiator in it (internet price $168) and cools ALOT better, no more glued together plastic tanked and aluminium radiators in this garage. Thanks Rod.

thanks i wish there was a direct link to compare between that and what i found on toyota nation

i believe my v6 radiator im thinking about getting is a 1 row but still larger than oem. it does have plastic tanks

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5061218-griffin-pro-series-aluminum-radiator-19-x-22-x-3-ford.html

i found the radiator but thproblem with this one is it doesnt have automatic cooler connections.

so you have an 85 but you must have a manual

other than that it looks awesome for both function and price. found it on the 4 x4 toyota forum.

something to note is that manual toyota trucks can use ford radiators. might come up again

requires somefabrication.

no such thing as a drop in all alluminum radiator for the toyota truck. no such thing as a trans cooler radiator in all aluminum for toy trucks

or cross flow.

no data on cross flow design doing anything useful...

and the last thing i found was

http://www.griffinrad.com/universal_fit.php

the ford automatic version does have auto transmission coolers but they are on the side couldnt find anyone using this or some way to adapt the coolant lines coming from the bottom to hit the ones on the side or if thats even possible.

• 4 years later...