Kitchen Remodel - Wife wants to!

Pat

The wife wants me to remodel the kitchen. Pull the stove/oven unit right out. Replace the countertop. Put in cabinets where the stove/oven unit was. She wants to put in small mircowave/convection oven (less heat) and a folding coleman countertop double burner. She says this makes more sense because nobody uses the oven anyway, but everybody uses a mircowave oven. Does not sound to difficult, except I don't like cutting holes for the sink. but I can get that part done. What do you guys think?

Remove the stove/oven. Install a 2 or 3 burner stove top. Install microwave where the oven is.

All is good, except bending over all the time to check the microwave.

I removed my stove/oven installed a 3 burner top and made a cabnet below the stove top. Works good, I was using the oven to store things in so the space is about the same. I put the microwave in an overhead cabnet, so its at eye level.

WME

Confusion in the discription. Full countertop where stove currently is. Cabinets where oven is now. A Coleman "Fold'n Go" 2 burner stove to sit on the countertop when in use. Mircowave would sit there when in use. The "Fold'n Go" stove and mircowave would be put in cabinets when not in use.

Got it. Going to be a PIA to unpack the stove just to make coffee. Trade off for having yards of countertop. I guess each to his own.

Just plan on reinstalling a stove fif you ever sell.

Guess I should have pointed out that this was a rear kitchen, sink and stove on your left when you come in with no countertop except what is around the sink. The stove would fit right under the countertop in a cabinet. This is a rear kitchen and bath/shower combo in a Indiana built Sunrader.

Redwood, my wife tells me that she has read on other forums that more use mircowaves than ovens. The women say the ovens heat up the coach to much.

Edited by Pat

Redwood, my wife tells me that she has read on other forums that more use mircowaves than ovens. The women say the ovens heat up the coach to much.

So how is she going to cook that rack of lamb or that 20 lb loin of beef for everyone when you guys come to one of the "Toy-ins"?

My oven didn't work when I first bought my Sunrader. My wife insisted that I fix or preferably replace the entire stove, which I did. I can still remember waking up one morning beside a beautiful lake with eggs being prepared on the stovetop, bacon cooking in the microwave, and fresh biscuits being baked in the oven. It was wonderful. I'm glad I replaced the whole stove. I have a portable table for more "counterspace", and I'm fixing to install a flip-up table/counter. Remember, you may want to sell your MH someday, and altered units are harder to sell.

Allen

83 Sunrader

I can still remember waking up one morning beside a beautiful lake with eggs being prepared on the stovetop, bacon cooking in the microwave, and fresh biscuits being baked in the oven. It was wonderful.

Allen

83 Sunrader

NOW we're TAlking!.. Camping, and eatin! great combo! and, wife would Love to be WARM on a chilly morning!

• 2 weeks later...

mmmm food and camping :)

Hey you ever see one of those Solar Oven Boxes? They use mirrors etc and bake things in the sun. Mostly bread etc. Then there's always those Dutch ovens for when you just have to bake something. I personally don't see the need for an oven. Too much wasted space for what they provide. You can bake things in pots over camp fires. I've made cakes, brownies, bread, and casseroles. Then there's luaus like they do in Hawaii! No oven there.

Microwave? If you're using a microwave in your camper, then you are in too much of a hurry.

Also a coleman foldable stove-top isn't as big of a nuisance as you might think. It only needs to be unpacked once, can be used outside, replaced cheaply when it gets OLD, and can be put away for rattle-free transit or if you have a big PARTY! More counterspace = more party drinks! :sorcerer:

• 2 weeks later...
I can still remember waking up one morning beside a beautiful lake with eggs being prepared on the stovetop, bacon cooking in the microwave, and fresh biscuits being baked in the oven.

That just about convinced me to keep the kitchen the way it is. yum.

The wife wants me to remodel the kitchen. Pull the stove/oven unit right out. Replace the countertop. Put in cabinets where the stove/oven unit was. She wants to put in small mircowave/convection oven (less heat) and a folding coleman countertop double burner. She says this makes more sense because nobody uses the oven anyway, but everybody uses a mircowave oven. Does not sound to difficult, except I don't like cutting holes for the sink. but I can get that part done. What do you guys think?

We did exactly the opposite. Originally had a stove top and microwave under and removed both and installed a new stove-top and oven. Why? No generator and many places we go to have no electric. So the micro was a big waste of space. We have used the oven many times and another good thing is the new modern stove is far quieter when going down the road. 98% of the rattles are gone from the stove.