Trans flush? What type of fluid and how much?

Dexron 6 does make a huge difference in my toy. still doing passive flush. now temperatures are now below freezing at night then add on wind chill factor auto box behaves faultlessly. hand brakes are left off as shoes freeze to drums. before the flush box was a little slow cold weather just made it worse due to oil thickening at dub zero temps. benefically side effect is an improvement in mpg and easier cruising. Think my oil was 24 years old so change is a good idea.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Synthetic blend trans fluids do hold up to heat better, but I can't see one being any better than the other they are all basically 5W hydraulic oil. The new buzz word is "high millage" to me high millage starts some where around 250K. Extra coolers and regular trans flushes will give you the max life your going to get out of an over worked transmission it's pretty amazing that those little transmission last as long as they do they are pretty tough units.

Derek up North

Which "better numbers" are you looking at?

Got a PDF off their web site.

Viscosity@40 C ,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,36.6

Viscosity@100 C,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,8

ViscosityIndex...........ATSM D-2270,,,200

Color, Typical...........ATSM D-1500,,,7

Appearence.............................Red

Brookfield Viscosity

at -40 C. cP.............ATSM D-2983,,,12,000

Pour Point C (F).........ATSM D-97,,,,,-48(-54)

Flash Point C (F.........ATSM D-92,,,,,180 (356)

Specific Gravity, 60 F...ATSM D-1298,,,0.862

Pounds Per Gallon........ATSM D-287,,,,7.18

These #'s beat anything I've found. BTW there are several different sets of spec numbers for the Maxx Life, similar but slightly different.

john

I'm no ATF wizard so I won't pretend to know which of the numbers are more (or less) important. Here are the Transmax numbers next to the Import Multi-Vehicle ATF numbers:-

Viscosity@40 C ,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,36.6....... 36.6
Viscosity@100 C,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,8........... 8
Viscosity Index..........ATSM D-2270,,,200........ 200
Color, Typical...........ATSM D-1500,,,7........... 7
Appearance............................ Red......... Red
Brookfield Viscosity
at -40 C. cP.............ATSM D-2983,,,12,000..... 10,500
Pour Point C (F).........ATSM D-97,,,,,-48(-54)... -48(-54)
Flash Point C (F.........ATSM D-92,,,,,180 (356).. 208(406)
Specific Gravity, 60 F...ATSM D-1298,,,0.862...... 0.862
Pounds Per Gallon........ATSM D-287,,,,7.18....... 7.17

The difference between d6 and d3is its a multi viscosity that is why is visibly thinner.

I think what you mean is “multi vehicle low viscosity” ATF syn blend. has a low temp pour point in the - 50 numbers this is what makes it appear thinner and is more resistant to higher temps but the viscosity is of one weight. Dextron 6 can be used in Toyota's prior to 2004.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that about any ATF. Sounds like the fluid in the fan clutch to me. I'd like to read more. Anyone have a direct link to a source for this info?

You can't argue with magic.

I'm no ATF wizard so I won't pretend to know which of the numbers are more (or less) important. Here are the Transmax numbers next to the Import Multi-Vehicle ATF numbers:-

Viscosity@40 C ,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,36.6....... 36.6 28.5

Viscosity@100 C,cSt......ATSM D-445,,,,8........... 8 6

Viscosity Index..........ATSM D-2270,,,200........ 200 163

Color, Typical...........ATSM D-1500,,,7........... 7

Appearance............................ Red......... Red red

Brookfield Viscosity

at -40 C. cP.............ATSM D-2983,,,12,000..... 10,500 10,600

Pour Point C (F).........ATSM D-97,,,,,-48(-54)... -48(-54) -42

Flash Point C (F.........ATSM D-92,,,,,180 (356).. 208(406) 202

Specific Gravity, 60 F...ATSM D-1298,,,0.862...... 0.862 .843

Pounds Per Gallon........ATSM D-287,,,,7.18....... 7.177.17

Well, numbers, numbers, what's the rite number. I tried to add the numbers I got off a Valvoline PDF for MaxLife fully synthetic (red bottle) in black after your numbers. This is what the tech at Ashland oil recommended for my Toy, said it was their best.

Hope this post works, the formatting changes from the editor to the final post,at least on my computer. My original post was edited many times to try to get the rows to line up in the final post.

john

Oh boy, I had a chart that showed what the numbers mean and how to compare. But it seems now I have lost it. :( and failed to bookmark where I got it. This is giving me a headache. Think I'll sit on this a while.

john

all multi viscosity oil thickens with heat.

all 10-30

that is what the rating means.

10 w at 0 30 w at

i have a feeling im talking to people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

heres some data to compare with non dx 6 for you

http://www.oilman.com.au/transmission-oils/atf-dx6/

heres a bare basic place to stop for people who have no idea what multi viscosity oil is and think its magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

definitely try not to post opinions on oil until you have that down seems like a waste.

definitely

im not sure where maineahs data comes from or what actually.

but all toyota automatic vehicles produced in 2013 are recomended to use dexron 6 except for the lexus sports car

it says to go back to use t iv for cvt vehicles like a prius. basically it is recomended for all toyota automatics except hybrids.

My friends tacome it says dexron 6 on the tube. not toyota ws or anything iit says use dexron 6

all multi viscosity oil thickens with heat.

all 10-30

that is what the rating means.

10 w at 0 30 w at

i have a feeling im talking to people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

heres some data to compare with non dx 6 for you

http://www.oilman.com.au/transmission-oils/atf-dx6/

heres a bare basic place to stop for people who have no idea what multi viscosity oil is and think its magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

definitely try not to post opinions on oil until you have that down seems like a waste.

definitely

So you're running 10w30 multigrade in your automatic transmission?

nope im using dx 6, which is a multigrade atf.

what about you/ have you ever changed transmission fluid on a vehicle youve owned?

Do you have any pictures of this?

Do you have any pictures of your toyhome?

Do you have pictures of the tools you use to change the fluids on your toyhome?

Im just curious. When was the last time you did any maintenance on your toyhome? Do you remember the year?

i have owned 5 toyota automatic trucks in the last years. I have changed the tranmsission fluid Im going to say 10 times.

What sort of experience do you have? Do you have any sort of reason at all why you think your opinion should be noted on this subject?

ok the first number is the pour number the 2nd number is the at heat number.

what do you use to change your transmission fluid? what are the tools you use?

quick grab them and take a picture for us.

compared to dx 3, it has a much lower pour number. and a higher at heat number. whatever its rating is, and it does has one its just not written on the bottle, its something like 0-20w whereas dx3 is something like 20w.

not those numbers, they might be more like 0-5w. there could be something tothe 5 w because even dx3 is pretty thin. dx6 is much thinner it seems like water.

and if you cant figure that out theres nothing for you its an iq problem.

i dont care dude its not relevant.

Im trying to get what the hell you are talking about and why. I honestly have no idea.

have you ever changed the transmission fluid on a toyota truck?

Do you own a toyota motorhome?

When was the last time you changed your own transmission fluid/

Where do I go look this up?

I dont give a flying oooo what you think the 10 30 means it doesnt matter moron.

haha i dont know why i waste my time.

where in google do you look up whether or not youve ever changed the transmission fluid on your own vehicle?

if you need to discover what multi viscosity means, its in the wikipedia thing on motor oil.

yes atf is oil and its rated the same way.

my god why are you here in this thread? I mean seriously what could you possibly share with someone that isnt wrong?

http://www.amalie.com/Universal-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluids/Universal-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid

ya dexron 6 is 0-20w. I knew i had seen that.

If anyone needed any more embarrassing data that derek of the north knows absolutely nothing about vehicles at all heres more.

modern synthetic atf is multi viscosity. Some people are so totaly out of touch with today data it shows obviously. real funny I guess except of course, you have nothing to add stop posting thanks.

your total knowledge base is what you can randomly read in google in two sentences or less. with some really terrible reading comprehension.

i dont care dude its not relevant.

Im trying to get what the hell you are talking about and why. I honestly have no idea.

have you ever changed the transmission fluid on a toyota truck?

Do you own a toyota motorhome?

When was the last time you changed your own transmission fluid/

Where do I go look this up?

I dont give a flying oooo what you think the 10 30 means it doesnt matter moron.

haha i dont know why i waste my time.

where in google do you look up whether or not youve ever changed the transmission fluid on your own vehicle?

No offence dude but were you ever a service manager of a transmission shop? Didn't think so. I was but then again we only did 2.5 million dollars worth of transmission work a year and bought transmission fluid by the tanker load.

In reference to your oil co.’s posting zero weight oil cannot exist. The confusion arises with the “W” the W is not weight it is winter. Zero any type of oil cannot be measured by viscosity measuring devices because you can’t have flow through any size hole in the device in zero seconds the weight is the amount of time it takes the oil to flow through a given size hole. So what is 0 W oil? It is a modified pour point it has been reduced with the use of synthetics to pour at a lower temp. Pour point is 5* above the point at which chilled oil shows no movement at the surface for 5 seconds when inclined. Now if you expect to be running your transmission at -51F you may benefit from a 0 whatever oil due to its lower pour point but beyond that is has no practical use.

So the 0W-20 Castrol I have in my garage is a figment of my mind?

So the 0W-20 Castrol I have in my garage is a figment of my mind?

Just the zero. there is no zero weight oil just a lower pour point. The lowest viscosity is 5 it is based on time to flow through a viscosity meter the lowest time being 5 seconds if it was zero it would take zero seconds to flow through the meter that of course is impossible. Will it lube faster yes but only because of the pour point, great for turbo engines but the bottom line there are a very few of us that would have any need of instant oil flow at -51F even with a turbo so a 5W-20 oil would be fine for some thing around - 45F. The synthetic oil blend people love numbers that sound good on paper. As far as an automatic transmission all most worthless by the time the engine is running the automatic is pumping plenty of oil.

SAE J 300 DOES define a 0w oil and it is different than a 5w.

No offence dude but were you ever a service manager of a transmission shop? Didn't think so. I was but then again we only did 2.5 million dollars worth of transmission work a year and bought transmission fluid by the tanker load.

i have worked on a used car lot for 6 years. we did maintenance on around 1000 cars. I did as little of it myself as i could get away with.