Trans flush? What type of fluid and how much?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The filter is a metal screen and probably doesn't need relacement. I did do mine but there was nothing really on it when I took it off. No need to drop the whole pan if you don't repace the screen either. Just remove the drain plug. I do mine slightly warm and it gets more out. Buy 5 quarts but you won't need all of it. Start checking levels after 4. Full flush is 6.9 quarts but your not going to get all of it out. Chiltons says Dextron 2 but think I used Dextron 3?. If you drop the pan you will need a new gasket too

Linda S

Thanks. The RV has not been used in a few years and driving it around a few miles it isn't shifting into 3rd gear and took some time to start shifting into 2nd...so I figured start with easy and change the fluid.

If it's acting funny add a quart of lucas transmission fix when you refill. It has kept mine shifting smoothly for years and it didn't shift too nice when I got it.t The Lucas stuff is very thick. I put the bottle in a pan of hot water before I try to pour it in.

Linda S

I would suggest syn based. fluid it does stand heat a bit better. Try shifting it with the gear lever and see what happens start in low and manually select each gear. Also have a look at the fluid and see what color it is and give it a sniff to see if it's burnt. It should be redish and have little smell to it. How many miles?

I would suggest syn based. fluid it does stand heat a bit better. Try shifting it with the gear lever and see what happens start in low and manually select each gear. Also have a look at the fluid and see what color it is and give it a sniff to see if it's burnt. It should be redish and have little smell to it. How many miles?

Thanks. I think I'll go with the regular Dextron and add the Lucas like Linda S suggested. My friend has it for sale so he's kinda calling the shots on what to spend etc!

on the yahoo site I was told to use dextron 6 for tranny flush

"stamar" said its better for older transmission..

stamarAug 1

hey do yourself a favor and get dexron 6 at walmart. its semi synthetic and its better compatible with toyotas than dexron 3 which is commonly available.

i used to flip cars especially toyotas and ive seen it perform miracles.

you can get dexron 6 anywhere but the stuff at walmart is way cheaper.

why i also say this is the color of dexron six is not pink but dark red. do 3 drain and fills within 3000 miles

for a adrain and fill you need 5 quarts. so get 15. this is better for an old transission not to over detergent it than what is called a passivve flush through the trans cooling lines but it will take more flid.

dexron six is great but its so thin and detergent it cold free up too much junk all at once.

All I can say for sure is that the original Toyota recommendation (FSM and Owners Manual) was for Dexron II. I did some quick Googling and see indications that Toyota changed their recommendation to Dexron III.There was also 'talk' that Dex III was becoming 'obsolete' and that Toyota would be changing their recommendation to Dex VI.

I'd do 2 things. See what a dealer currently recommends and also try to consult a transmission expert to see what they recommend.

Other 'wisdom' I've heard is that if you've got high miles and no maintenance records indicating that the fluid has ever been changed you're better off keeping the original fluid. Drain the fluid, clean the filter/screen and pan, put the original fluid (after straining out any 'lumps' and top up with Dex II.

There are lots of opinions out there.

im 3rd owner of rv

I know first owner kept maintenance records

second owner used very little.. Owned for 3 years

engine is at 60200miles... and runs strong..

has transmission cooler

I do want to do a drain and fill

so all fluids have been changed (all ready did brakes radiator flush and oil)

not sure if I should mess with tranny cooler or how to flush it....

what have other members used for their late 80 rv's

Valvoline's recommendation (1995 - 2005)?

"MaxLife ATF, MERCON V, DEX / MERC Import MV ATF"

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com/catalogs/chemicals/V-6217%20ATF%20Application%20NON-Laminated%20Guide%206.10.13.pdf

No mention from them of Dexron 6 for Toyotas or Imports.

'Bob is the oil Guy' (BITOG) is a Forum where they spend all day discussing oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2495603

to clarify confusion

I recomend dexron 6 in all toyota and gm cars.

but I dont recomend doing a complete passive flush with dexron 6 because it is so detergent for an old transmission it might clear up to much gunk at once.

so I think I said it clearly in that post but Ill say it again.

Do 3 drain and fills within 3000 miles. do 2 like within 100 miles. just pull out the drain plug when its warm put the plug back in and then fill it up.

think about it like this, its so detergent it might have freed up more dirt than you want so empty in again right after you put it in.

dexron 6 has a lot of additives like lucas trans fix or i believe its like trans x standard. it is semit synthetic.

toyota transmissions in our rigs were inventer before dexron 3 and dexron 3 isnt the right stuff for them. it is better than dirty fluid though. dexron 6 is better but also whats called international atf works too.

this thread doesnt introduce the full passive flush concept which gets all the bad stuff out at once. even though that is great introducing dexron 6 to neglected trans is going to free up a lot of gunk all at once that you want to redrain again. so its almost a waste.

valvoline multi vehicle formula is good too however you will find that the real dexron 6 walmart brand is actually cheaper and its much more advanced.

if you dont have access to a walmart suddenly dexron 6 is more expensive than dexron 2 or multi vehicle atf. It might not be worth it. Its still better. I cant really think of a better spot for synthetic auto trans fluid than a toyota motorhome it runs hot

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-DEXRON-VI-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-qt/17134873

heres the stuff. very likely to get rid of your sluggish shifting with multiple changes.

the amount removed in a drain and fill could vary however mine does exactly 5 quarts.

What's considered high mileage? The one I'm working on has 87K on it.

That's pushing it if the fluid is dark and smells burnt. Being a MH the usage is "severe" and should be done every 30K. The issue is not stirring up yuck as it is taking the facing off the clutch packs with high mileage.

my transmission had about 85k it had no malfunctioin but it had black particles in all three changes i did obviously lss and less.

dexron 6 is a dark red color but very transparent as opposed to older fluid is pink but more opaque.

Well my unit .. New to us is a 1990 V6 ... I've done the motor filter & moved to synthetic .... Changed the rear diff oil .... Done 2 drain & fills on the transmission , the fluid was dark , the motor pulls very well & if shifts well ... I have a new filter on hand for the transmission but have not dropped the pan yet ... Now I really can't decide what to do ...

The filter is more like a plastic screen door. If the fluid is clean and red now you have done as much as you need too if it shifts fine don't worry be happy. They are pretty tough transmissions. When you are under neath check your slip joint in the back of the trans if there is a lot of play you may want to think about changing the tail stock bushing that's an often over looked issue.

Thanks for the info ... I'm thinking to do maybe 2 more drain & fills , that should replace most ey ! .... I'll just take the new filter back to the store maybe ...

Looking under when changing the fuel filter I noticed the front prop & centre bunching looks new ? . Maybe something was updated

I used dextron 2. I would hesitate to add anything else. When i changed mine I changed the filter which is really a screen. getting the pan off was tricky - the tube that holds the dipstick made it so. After changing the filter AND cleaning off the magnets in the pan & put it back & I used gasket cement VERY CAREFULLY.

I replaced the 2 or so quarts that drained out & then after driving it around, I drained the 2 or so quarts that reside in the pan via the drain plug. I repeated until I had used 3 gallons - figured I changed about 50% - 75% of the old fluid that way. I did not feel good using one of the flushes since I have heard horror stories of what can happen if small thing break loose & clog orifices. The other option was to disconnect hoses from the cooler & let the unit pump itself out which seemed a bit much when the drain & fill thing did not risk breaking anything like a 20 year old fitting.

If your pan has never been off there wil not be a gasket & it will be hard to get it freed. Use extreme caution freeing it - you do not want to damage the mating surfaces.

I have a pump with a small tube that I used when I ththe trans once. How much of the ATF would you get out that way ?

significantly less than pulling the drain plug.....

i feel you though I can remember syphoning trans fluid out that way... and well you measure the amount coming out in a gallon jug... then you put that much back in.

ive got a chevy astro im thinking of doing that on soon. but im thinking of just paying for a self tapping screw drain plug... in all honesty thats all these drain plugs are....

drain plugs are nice.

ya definitely read around toyota forums and bob is the oil guy etc.... all intelligent people put in dexron 6 in their toyota trucks. youve got the life span changing from 30k to 100k.... higher temperature.

Ive owned im going to say 4 toyota truck autos if you include previas and it made them all better. sometimes miraculously. not that dexron 2 wouldnt have helped but not at much.

• 2 weeks later...

I used dexmerc when I changed mine. Ran good before & still runs good 30k miles later. Will change it again before next season- do not plan to change the filter this time, just the fluid by repetitive draining & refill after running a bit. Expect to use 3 gallons (this is about a 2 gallon system)

Well I called Mobil and Valvoline to explain what we have and what their recommendations were and they said,

Valvoline Max Life ATF Dex/Merc,and Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

Both are claimed to be full synthetic. Viscosity and other specs are virtually identical, so that leaves the additive package, which they do not list, as a difference.

Anyone tried the Mobile 1 ATF ??? I ask as I really like their oil (Mobil 1 high vehicle mileage 10/40).

TIA

John & Mary

• 2 weeks later...

i havent tried full synthetic atf in the toy home.

I have tried full synthetic atf, it was redline brand dexron 4

I honestly cannot remember what vehicle i used it on. Im sorry no help. I dont think i owned the vehicle long enough to say for sure but i bet it was expensive. I seem to think it wan an infinity i30.

dexron 6 is semi synthetic with modern trans additives. theres a reason dexron 6 is semi synthetic and dexron 4 was full synthetic its a benefit vs cost ratio. I dont doubt full sythetic is better but i doubt its worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

well the other day my 98 astro transmission died

basically over 2 days.

researching what had happened was the star shell cracked. its life span from there was predicted as short so i junked it. quickly it overheated its fluid too. metal chunks.

shifted late. all this from going fine but taking a long trip.

so to make a long story short im changing the fluid on the toyhome again. i think thats 4 times in 5k miles. my toyhome gets hot at times just on its own i want the best protection possible.

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=604.0

heres one of volumes of straight facts on dexron 6 fluid for you. ive got to be respectful but anyone that tells you not to use it just ignore them. they might not be old but theyre just not up to date on the facts. its been around 7 years now it has veriffied properties.

dexron 6 says right on it its compatible with toyota x and toyota y or the modern toyota atf that they use which is funtionally the same as dexron 6.

mercon v which is fords equivalent says its compatible with dexron 2 also but there is a reason why its not as good a choice. you can look it up and read about it on your own. still, clean is always better than dirty.

in time dexron 6 is much more modern than mercon 5. I believe some ford people say to use dexron 6. there was a time when the numbers were the same like dexron and mercon were both 3. and then with 4 they were totally incompat ble wth eachother. and then there was no dexron 5 it went from 4 to 6 so the numbers would be different.

something i want someday is a trans fluid temperature guage. something easilty moved from car to car as they die.

also it says clearly on it not to add transmission additives. the additives like lucas are made for the weaknesses of older dexron 2 or 3, like they stay thick when the fluid foams.

any actual break through in additives over the time has been already added to dexron 6. so all it does is gum it up. youll notice its way thinner it has a way higher temperature range so also in general dont do the additive stuff.

if you use the the old stuff, use your old additive stuff if it works though i guess.

i believe the company gm bought is called trans medic or trans x one of the popular additives, because the formula is in dexron 6.

Dexron 6 does make a huge difference in my toy. still doing passive flush. now temperatures are now below freezing at night then add on wind chill factor auto box behaves faultlessly. hand brakes are left off as shoes freeze to drums. before the flush box was a little slow cold weather just made it worse due to oil thickening at dub zero temps. benefically side effect is an improvement in mpg and easier cruising.