Crazy idea?

paulnptld

I was looking at the skyscraper of an AC unit mounted to the top of my Dolphin and considering alternatives. I could remove it entirely and replace it with a fan, but the hot summer months might not be so enjoyable. Then I remembered that some years ago I had a portable AC unit on wheels. You placed it wherever you wanted inside your house and ran a vent hose outside to pump out the heat. Great, but in an RV that would take up a ton of space. But what if the unit was outside?

Then I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Airworks-outdoor-portable-enhanced-function/dp/B009DVSDQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1379526455&sr=1-2

This portable unit can actually be placed outside and pump cool air indoors. This way I could just haul it along in my cargo cage only when it's really needed. For the rest of the year that dead weight could just be stored in the garage.

Has anyone here ever tried this type of solution?

Hi Derek

I am trying to post a new topic in the forum but I don't see that option any more. Is there any reason that I don't have that option any more?

Thanks .

Mason; Look at the top right of this thread. There should be a button labeled "Start new Topic". I think you need to be in the sub-forum topics, i.e. General, Electrical, engine, etc.

Paul; Air Conditioner. Why do you want to remove your existing A/C unit and replace it with something else? I believe the roof top units do a good job and put out some cold air when working properly, and they don't take up any weird or valuable space or require any strange plumbing or installation work.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Mason; Look at the top right of this thread. There should be a button labeled "Start new Topic". I think you need to be in the sub-forum topics, i.e. General, Electrical, engine, etc.

Paul; Air Conditioner. Why do you want to remove your existing A/C unit and replace it with something else? I believe the roof top units do a good job and put out some cold air when working properly, and they don't take up any weird or valuable space or require any strange plumbing or installation work.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John - I expect I'd probably use the AC on the Dolphin no more than a few times a year here in Oregon. It weighs nearly 100 lbs, makes the vehicle even more top heavy than it already is, and creates a ton of extra drag. I figured that I could bring a portable unit for those fringe cases when heat might be an issue.

Paul, make sure it works ok, and remove it carefully, I bet you can get a hundred for it if it works.

It does weigh a lot, I doubt seriously it contributes significantly to drag.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I kinda like to use my AC when it rains, without worry.

Now there is an issue I did not know about. You can't use a roof top AC unit when it is raining?

Mind you I don't know all that much about RV air conditioners.

I would have thought they were designed for using them in rainy weather. After all they do have a shroud over them.

It certainly rains when it is 90+ degrees outside in the South and Southwest USA.

I would say the R2D2 portable A/C units are about the same weight having removed and resealed the roof top and having a portable they are about the same weight. Some of the overseas MH are using mini splits now that is a neat trick but a retro fit is not real simple.

yes I use a portable Ac in my Sunrader if I can't avoid super hot locations. No need to carry all that extra weight around when I live so close to the ocean. This unit looks pretty good to me. I do have a hitch carrier I use that it would fit on and since my Sunrader is so small it would be great to have it outside. I was looking around for more pics to see the window kit and I found a much better price too. Includes shipping for $499

http://www.bjs.com/gracious-living-airworks-12000-btu-portable-air-conditioner.product.236584

Linda S

yes I use a portable Ac in my Sunrader if I can't avoid super hot locations. No need to carry all that extra weight around when I live so close to the ocean. This unit looks pretty good to me. I do have a hitch carrier I use that it would fit on and since my Sunrader is so small it would be great to have it outside. I was looking around for more pics to see the window kit and I found a much better price too. Includes shipping for $499

http://www.bjs.com/gracious-living-airworks-12000-btu-portable-air-conditioner.product.236584

Linda S

Linda - What AC unit have you been using? I think I'm pretty sold on this idea!

I have been using this one for a number of years now. More than enough to cool a tiny Sunrader and I use it in my home too. I bought mine at Big Lots at the end of the summer for 200 bucks and I have more than gotten my use out of it.

http://www.target.com/p/haier-8-000-btu-portable-air-conditioner/-/A-12213123?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|12213123&CPNG=Home+Improvement&kpid=12213123&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12213123&gclid=CPPP9Yen1rkCFYs1QgodMmcAlw

They say it weighs 56 lbs. No way. feels like 40, maybe 45.

Linda S

Better explain how I use it. Passenger seat goes all the way forward and have small platform to sit it on even with camper floor. vent goes out passenger window and curtain separates front cab from coach area and AC cooling vent.

Didn't someone here on the board install a small window model in their closet or something? As far as the drag and making the vehicle top heavy I don't think that's a problem. They don't weigh enough to tip the scales on being top heavy. If you really think an AC unit contributes to the top heavy effect then you should consider beefing up your suspension. Drag might also be a moog point as the air deflected up and over the front of the coach might completely miss the AC unit at speed. Guess (excuse the pun) that it's time for the wind tunnel.

post-4544-0-95664700-1379675163_thumb.jpI installed a 5,000 BTU unit above the frig. But I would not have done this if I had a roof unit.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4077

Read down thru the thread, I think on the second page are some Infrared photos that evaluate airflow thru the air conditioner.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I did some measurements one time and realized I could put the smallest size home window unit I found in a store into the cargo bay on my 1980 Sunrader. I would have to put it into the cargo bay from the top, under the dinette seat. But I could, with, barely any clearance, stick the nose of it out through the cargo bay door when the door is open. So when traveling it would be inside with the door closed and when stopped it could be slid into operational position.

To get the chilled air into my the interior would require no extra conversion as there is a cabinet door under my dinette seat that opens to allow access to that bay. Plus there is a 110 outlet near there and it close to the converter it could have an additional 110 outlet put into the cargo bay.

You will have to do your own measurements to figure out if something like that could work for you. Every air conditioner models a bit different in size as are cargo bays and the cargo doors on various rigs. I don't even remember what brand it was that I measured. The Sunraders, being fiberglass, are fairly simple to modify for a larger cargo door. However custom sized cargo doors are very expensive.

Of course you won't be able to put any cargo into that compartment with an AC unit in there so that is a real downside and why I did not do it. I don't need AC all that often as I am in the coastal areas of the Pacific Northwest during the summer time.