1992 Toyota Chinook 4x4 Build. Step by Step. LOCAM GK

Galvanized Knight

Well another day, another 4x4 Chinook.

I'll be posting step by step as I do a Chinook 4x4 swap and then finish up the interior from scratch. I'll try to get as many photo and video as possible so you guys can see how I am doing this.

Donor Pickup : A mint 1992 4x4 Toyota Pickup regular cab longbed

Donor Chinook : 1st generation 1974 Toyota Chinook "round tripper?"

This project will be a total build from the fiberglass skin to a finished project.

I am taking a few weeks off work to complete this so hopeful this will all fall in place by the end of October.

If you have any ideas, questions or input, please post your thoughts!

Lance

Here are some links to my other two topics on 4x4 Chinooks.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3658&hl= 4x4 Chinook

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4576&hl= 4x4 Newport ( Future Project )

SANY0140_zps21836049.jpg

Mock up of the 4x4 ChinookSANY0142_zpsb823e03c.jpg

Sits fairly well but the doors are quite close to the ChinookSANY0144_zps5e3fbe00.jpg

The rear axle needs to move back about 4" IMG_5725_zpsaa2d094f.jpg

Donor Chinook

SANY0150_zps6213da83.jpg

4x4 1980 Chinook & 4x4 1992 Chinook together at the shop

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching random videos on YouTube and decided to see if there were any new Chinook videos online. I was so excited to see you've put up a new video about the next 4x4 Chinook project!

Must be nice having access to a forklift. :)

Is there a benefit to moving the axle back 4in aside from aesthetics?

How difficult is it to move the axle? I would assume a new drive shaft would be needed?

• 9 months later...

I have a '96 Tacoma 4x4 standard cab shortbed. 104" long (i think) wheelbase?. Just bought a 76 chinook pop up. I would like a similar conversion to the one your doing. Do u think this is possible even tho my Tacoma isn't a long bed? the 76 chinook runs (rough) and the shell is cleanish with, hmmm, a barely livable inside so i could just leave it but still...
Seriously impressed with your 4x4 chinook builds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How did you end up getting the rear axle moved 4" back? did you extend the frame, drive line or brake lines? I am about to start a vary similar project with a 1976 chinook and am looking at what truck I should get to mount the chinook shell to. I have an 1985 extra cab 4x4 but would need to extend the rear axle too and don't know how it would look/ mount up to the extra cab. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, yours looks awesome and your videos are great

Not photoshopped. Go to www.expedition portal. Lots of serious back road stuff.

Crazy. I guess the sun just happens to be poking out from above a ridge so only the top (and sides...) of the camper is in the sun but nothing else in the photo has any sun on it, and they decided to pull over real quick on the side of the highway and pop up the top...

Stranger things have happened, I'll agree. Of course people are doing all sorts of stuff with Chinooks and Toyotas. But that photo is, in my opinion anyways, photoshopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Side by side the hilux and Tacoma make a pretty good match but rear end on the tacoma needs to go a little farther back. Could the chinook camper 'pull forward' abit ? Still, quite a bit of tail hanging off the back,... How might that ride considering weight distribution? As simple as mounting a winche bumper n jack up front to balance the whole circus out?

Similar things I've seen online include moving the rear end back. Some by cutting in extensions of frame. I'd like to avoid this. If the distance is 4-6" ish, can u 're-perch' the end farther back on the tacoma?, longer driveshaft without needing a carrier bearing?..

• 2 months later...

I've got the room to just remount the spring perches on the frame all the way back. The front perch needs a bracket that drops down to original height because as u move backwards the chassis travels ' up'. Add a cross beam (lose the spare tire), shock mounts n brake lines. Even drive shafts by frank in SF says 'no problem' on the shaft.
It all seems do-able and easier than cutting and extending frame...
Meanwhile I've been gutting and cleaning and fixing the pop-up. Thankfully it's not too rotten and I wont be restoring it to show quality like I've seen here. Just make it livable, throw the mutt/surfboards in the back and hit the road! All the way down the coast to Antarctica.
Still, if anyone has advice on the fabricating part, PLEasE, let me know. Weight issues? Air shocks?... Welding, axle upgrades,
All this is beyond my oil n tire changing skills so no hard feelings if sumbody gots to burst my bubble
The Tacoma heads to the welder sumtime in feb.
Happy new year all!