I need a couple of parts for my 78 Chinook, OK to post???

Donnie

Hi team, in the process of restoring my 78 Chinook...having the top off for a while now when ready to re -install it.........I am missing the roller's / glides that take up the side clearance in the mechanism used to raise & lower the top..If anyone has a set (4) , two for each side , I would be willing to buy them from you.

please message me if you can help me.....thank you, Donnie

Hi team, in the process of restoring my 78 Chinook...having the top off for a while now when ready to re -install it.........I am missing the roller's / glides that take up the side clearance in the mechanism used to raise & lower the top..If anyone has a set (4) , two for each side , I would be willing to buy them from you.

please message me if you can help me.....thank you, Donnie

I probably have what you need. I've got two 78 Chinooks parts-vehicles and also one 1977 Chinook-Chalet parts rig (same sort of pop-top).

I've got to go out and look closely to ascertain exactly what your are referring to.

These are located in the 10 or 12 inch long channel that the slide rides in when raising or lowering the top...I do not have the truck here to measure them, thus the guess.....nor am I doing the work, the truck is in a body shop & they are closed for the next week for vacation.. I could send you a photo of the area that I am speaking of if I knew how to post a photo, as there is a 1975 truck in the nearby vicinity...thanks for any help that you can provide.........I am leaving for the afternoon & will check later to see if you can help me

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Donnie,,,,,,,,,

Hi, # 8 best describes the area where the looseness is...after viewing your illustration, I'm not sure if the looseness is in the top or bottom , or both...I may have to wait until I can get in to look at the truck now as I am not sure...Donnie

The slides are loose in the area nearest to # 8.....the X mechanism is attached at 1 end & slides in the other on what I think was rollers?

There is nothing there now & the top is difficult to raise & lower as it is metal to metal, plus it is unstable when raised..

The truck is turning out nice except for this problem....Do you think that I will need to locate the complete x bracing assy?

I will look later for your reply......thanks in advance...........Donnie

The slides are loose in the area nearest to # 8.....the X mechanism is attached at 1 end & slides in the other on what I think was rollers?

There is nothing there now & the top is difficult to raise & lower as it is metal to metal, plus it is unstable when raised..

The truck is turning out nice except for this problem....Do you think that I will need to locate the complete x bracing assy?

I will look later for your reply......thanks in advance...........Donnie

I looked at two of my Chinooks (for Toyotas and GMs). None have any rollers. Just steel slides. Many of the smaller pieces could be made from generic hardware. Like I said, I have parts vehicles that I could take some hardware off of. I'm still not sure if you are missing parts - or have something worn out.

post-6578-0-40078400-1378061949_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-00931900-1378061951_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-05334400-1378061953_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-47166200-1378061954_thumb.jp

Jd, I have had a chance to look at my wifes '75 Chinook & there are inserts containing ball bearings in a U shaped channel that sits in the channel keeping the slide from contacting the bottom rail..these pieces are about 5 inches long & contain 5 or 6 balls on each side.

If you notice that the slide is concave & the bottom rail is convex, that is where these rollers ride...It's hard to believe that they were there in '75 & were not in later units...I would say that the balls are about 1inch apart in a 1 piece metal cage that wraps under the slide, thus the slide does not touch the lower rail....I have taken a couple of pretty descriptive photo's today, & have them on my computer, but have no idea of how to get them on the site....I do know how to send them thru email & know how to cut & paste, but being an old man I came into computers late & learning new is difficult for me....Could I send them to you?, or what do you suggest ? If you can't help me, possibly someone else could if they could see what I need.......thanks for reading this & any help that you can provide........Donnie

Jd, I have had a chance to look at my wifes '75 Chinook & there are inserts containing ball bearings in a U shaped channel that sits in the channel keeping the slide from contacting the bottom rail..these pieces are about 5 inches long & contain 5 or 6 balls on each side.

If you notice that the slide is concave & the bottom rail is convex, that is where these rollers ride...It's hard to believe that they were there in '75 & were not in later units...I would say that the balls are about 1inch apart in a 1 piece metal cage that wraps under the slide, thus the slide does not touch the lower rail....I have taken a couple of pretty descriptive photo's today, & have them on my computer, but have no idea of how to get them on the site....I do know how to send them thru email & know how to cut & paste, but being an old man I came into computers late & learning new is difficult for me....Could I send them to you?, or what do you suggest ? If you can't help me, possibly someone else could if they could see what I need.......thanks for reading this & any help that you can provide........Donnie

I sent you a private message with my direct email address. I've never seen what you are describing on any 1978 Chinooks. I think I have a 1976 that has something similar. I'll take a look later.

jdemaris, I sent you a few descriptive photo's of the parts that I am looking for. Haven't heard back from you, either in my message's or my shop email address that I sent...Is there a chance that you did not get my mail, don't want to help me, don't have the parts, too busy?

I see that you have been on a lot with others, but why won't you help me, or at least answer me..????

If you can't or don't want to help me, please let me know & I will look elsewhere.. I think I deserve an answer.........Donnie

Hey - I've been kind of tied up with a few other things. I also do this for fun -and therefore jump around a bit. Acting on replies and/or searching around for parts via requests on this forum is a volunteer and free service. I don't think either one of us "deserves" anything from one another except perhaps being polite and having a little patience.. Yes you posted some photos and so did I . The difference is you need something and I don't - so perhaps your priorities are a bit different. If you want to get pushy about it -seek your parts or info from someone else. I've got an older Chinook pop-top up in one of my fields that I have not gotten up to yet to check out. As I already stated - I've never seen the sort of roller-slides on a Chinook pop-top like you posted. That being said, they look like some sort of standard industrial hardware that could be bought as a generic piece of industrial hardware.

I got up to where my 1977 Toyota Chinook is today. It has different slides on the X-brace then my 1978s. They look like standard industrial ball-bearing linear slides. 14" long (closed) X 1.3" wide. (355 mms X 33 mms).

http://docs.chambrelan.com/fiches/FT001_EN.pdf

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-14-in-Ball-Bearing-Full-Extension-Drawer-Slide-D80614C-ZP-W/202200642#.UikgC9K3_h4

post-6578-0-81748100-1378428028_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82352900-1378428030_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-26766900-1378428032_thumb.jp

jdemaris, Today I sat down at the computer to eat my lunch & drop you a note...After eating my tuna salad sandwich & a bit of CROW,

I re-read my post to you & agree with your comment's.........I need something & you don't....I'll admit, I did come off as a bit twichy & ask you if you will forgive me... I am just excited to get this thing done before the cold & rains start..

I try to base my life around "KARMA" & help as many people as I can on the things that I know about..Sometimes I get discombobulated & feel left out. This just happened to be one of those days.

After seeing the attachment links that you sent & reading your post's, I realize that your activities are spread thin & your willingness to help is above & beyond.......for this, I am grateful & now have a different opinion of you...I hope that you understand

me a little better now & we can be friends....Are you going to part that unit out, & if you are , are you willing to sell me parts or do you think that I should seek them from industry...To be honest , I am a little leery about the Chinese parts from Home de-pot..I would rather buy 30 year old AMERICAN made parts or look in my MSC catalog, and try to find something, or fire up the Bridgeport & make my own..

I have some aluminum bar stock that I could make the pieces that hold the balls, but I would be at least a day in doing that.

So I have some option's.......talk to me, I am listening....................regards, Donnie

jdemaris, Today I sat down at the computer to eat my lunch & drop you a note...After eating my tuna salad sandwich & a bit of CROW,

I re-read my post to you & agree with your comment's.........I need something & you don't....I'll admit, I did come off as a bit twichy & ask you if you will forgive me... I am just excited to get this thing done before the cold & rains start..

I try to base my life around "KARMA" & help as many people as I can on the things that I know about..Sometimes I get discombobulated & feel left out. This just happened to be one of those days.

After seeing the attachment links that you sent & reading your post's, I realize that your activities are spread thin & your willingness to help is above & beyond.......for this, I am grateful & now have a different opinion of you...I hope that you understand

me a little better now & we can be friends....Are you going to part that unit out, & if you are , are you willing to sell me parts or do you think that I should seek them from industry...To be honest , I am a little leery about the Chinese parts from Home de-pot..I would rather buy 30 year old AMERICAN made parts or look in my MSC catalog, and try to find something, or fire up the Bridgeport & make my own..

I have some aluminum bar stock that I could make the pieces that hold the balls, but I would be at least a day in doing that.

So I have some option's.......talk to me, I am listening....................regards, Donnie

That Chambrel link I posted (PDF tech drawing) sells in several quality and endurance levels and I'm sure they've got slides that surpass anything Chinook ever used. They offer them in steel, or stainless-steel. The only slight problem is you'd need to do a little welding and not everyone is equipped to weld stainless-steel.

I've have another Chinook pop-top off a (Chevy Blazer Chalet) (a 1977) I'll look at later. If I'm going to strip parts to sell -I'd rather take them off of that. I am going to strip and scrap the 77 Toyota Chinook in the photos - but not right away. Once I take out that hardware - I won't be able to open the top anymore.

I took a slide out of the 1977 Chinook Blazer Chalet. Same setup as the 77 Toyota but a 2" shorter.

I took one slide out of the 1977 Toyota Chinook, took the slide apart and measured the parts. If one pin is driven out of the end, the slide comes apart and the four steel balls fall out. If that all that is wrong with your's? If all you need is the four steel balls and missing pin - they are generic hardware and easy to buy. Needs four steel balls that are 5/16" OD, and the steel pin is 1/4" OD X 1 3/8" long. Slide assembly is 14" long when closed and 22 1/4" when fully extended.

post-6578-0-11066500-1378515022_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-64383000-1378515023_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-32326600-1378515025_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-29689000-1378515026_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-53626500-1378515027_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-16055100-1378515029_thumb.jp

jde, I need the cage that keeps the balls in place, that is what I was going to machine out of bar stock if I couldn't find anything on here.

Best illustrated in photo# 6 in the center.....thing is I need 4 of these cages & all the balls....I found a box of 1/4 inch balls in my shop today, but as near as I could tell...looking at my wife's assembly...I concluded that they were too small.. Hard to measure, (captive)....

Balls I could buy from MSC, box of 100..............but the cages I would like to buy from you if you want to sell them.

But then, maybe you do not want to sell all 4 as that would render your X assy unsaleable..???? NO ??

Or hit me with a price for the whole kit & kabootle.....I need to be able to get this top up & down & as it is now, for an old man, it is quite a push.... arm's, spring's slides & balls.......however you want to sell, if you do, let me know...UPS come's here a couple of times a week..........US MAIL nearly every day...........Gosh, I don't even know what state you are in......thanks for catching up,,,,,Donnie

All the industrial supply places I use, e.g. Enco, McMaster-Carr, MSC, etc. only sell the small parts in quantity. Some stores with hardware bins, e.g. Tractor Supply Co. sell individual steel balls. But if you are missing all the cages, they won't do you any good. The balls are 5/16" OD, not 1/4".

To build your own bearing-holders, you need some steel channel that measures 1/2" X 13/16" X 1/2". Not a common item. If you had some stock that size, it would be easy to drill the needed 5/16" holes in it.

I got looking at some linear slides. Mcmaster has some that would work but they are almost $150 per slide !! Can't figure whey they're so expensive.

Let me think about it (selling the slides). I kind of hate selling parts that are scarce. Chinook parts - or Chinooks in general are scarce here in the northeast if not most everywhere. The ones that exist either get restored/used - or go to the junkyard. Hard to find the one "in-between" that are cheap and can be salvaged for parts. I buy them whenever I DO find them. I am in the process of stripping the 77 Toyota so it won't really matter if the tops works, once I'm done with it.

I included some specs on the linear slides at McMaster-Carr. They'd work but they are REAL expensive.

post-6578-0-78639300-1378521513_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-84749900-1378521514_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69093100-1378521516_thumb.jp

jde, I can make the bearing holders & buy the bearings from MSC...since I will need 40 balls I will buy a box of 100..not that much $$$$

I will wait until the body shop finishes up with their end. I should have the truck back in a week, then I can start making the "ball retainers".....I will machine out a block of barstock to the dimentions needed & a die to press a piece of selected sheet," thickness yet to be determined" into my receptive block, and then I will have the bearing carriage Since I will have a few xtra balls I may add a ball or 2 in each.for more support...( not needed, but won't hurt)...Goes against my ingrained principles to spend that kind of $$$, that Mcmaster -Carr is asking........

I understand how you feel about selling parts from your parts vehicles..Especially if you are restoring....I have a lot full of Rabbit diesels in all stages of parts to driver's...And I also don't like to sell parts that I may need for another project... I have built a few GREASE BUCKET diesels...Waste veggie oel, 2 tank conversions....But I am getting tired ZZZZZZZZZZZZ :-) Thinking of sell ALL of them....If I can find a buyer to take it ALL in one sale

My wife has finally talked me into parting with some of my old Series Land Rovers....I am now down to my keeper, the one that I use for swap meets & collectable's flea market's....I have finally gotten a grip on my age, & realize that if I live to be 150, I will never complete all these project's.. I want to thank you for your time that you spent helping me, looking at trucks,, & catalogs & posting on this forum...I know that your time is valuable & I am grateful.................regards, Donnie

I've got a bunch of Rabbit and Jetta diesels too. In my area, the Amish farmers scoop them up whenever they show up for sale. The little VW diesel is their favorite powerplant to power some sorts of horse-draw equipment. I've been told by several of them that they prefer the old VW diesels because they are light, simple, and all parts available cheap.

You are right, here too, always bidding against Amish... BTW, I had a chance to spend some time in the MSC catalog today, thanks to your measurements, I found some square stock that I can split & won't have to make bearing glides....I should be able to get to my truck this next week to make sure that all channels are the same size.....Between our suggestion's & idea's..it should be a cake walk.

With all the variables that we discovered in this search, I want to be sure of the channel size B4 I order...thanks, .Donnie

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, David oteri said:

I'm looking for the two camper side windows for my 78 Chinook.

Can anyone help me?

There’s several Chinook owners groups on Facebook. You might have better luck trying there.

Are the windows broken or missing entirely. If the frames are still there and in decent shape most glass places can make you new glass for it.

You must remove the frames and just take them in. Very few places will deal with something installed in the camper. 

Linda S

• 3 months later...

Hello, 

My 1978 Toyota Chinook RV was damaged and I am looking for a replacement rear door and rear verticle handle that is to the left of the door.  Can anyone help me or make a suggestion?  So much appreciated.

Thank you.

Molly

mhuts@aol.com

You might have better luck with one of the chinook owners groups on Facebook.

There is one group that deals with chinook parts only.

Welcome to our forum. Lots of good advice available.  Fred

On 8/19/2023 at 7:10 AM, David oteri said:

I'm looking for the two camper side windows for my 78 Chinook.

Can anyone help me?

Hi David,  

I may have totaled my 1978 Chinook and, if so, I could provide you with my side windows.  Where are you located?

Molly