Hey. Much of the discussion here has been around IF Toyota will still do it, HAS this free repair offer ended, WHY do some get it and others do not, etc. , &c. Subsequently - it seems . . . at least to me . . . knowing exactly what the offer actually IS or WAS has relevance. That is - if you are a person that prefers facts over emotion. We are all free to think what we like (but maybe get chastised for it on these forums).

We are talking about people who bought used, old, over-loaded Toyotas with absolutely NO guarantees or warranties or promises from Toyota - knowing the facts (at least in some cases) and then asking Toyota to pay for some problems. YES . . . great deal if someone can get it. No argument there

Guess what I had a TSB related issue (by their own definition) done to my Tacoma they installed new springs free of charge "harsh ride loaded" I now have 4 leaf springs instead of 3. It is indeed a Technical Service Bulletin to inform the techs about a known issue but that does not mean they won’t fix it if you lived in Canada they came with 4 leaf springs no TSB. If you have an issue related to a TSB they will repair whatever is necessary to resolve your problem or should I say Toyota will. A recall is issued for a safety problem and they are obligated to repair it by the Feds like it or not requires a letter to the know owners. A campaign is a good will program by the manufacturer for a known problem of things that go wrong due to a flaw that shows up after the fact and out of warranty like leaky head gaskets.

I'm being redundant here but I once came across an ad that John Deere published around 1939. In that ad, John Deere claimed they warrantied anything they made - forever if proven to be defective and not just "worn out."

I confronted Deere Co. in Syracuse NY in the early 80s. Why? I had a 1936 John Deere BO tractor with a sand-casting flaw in the engine block. Long story short - I actually was given a brand new engine block by Deere. They did not offer to install it but I was amazed they gave it to me. I suspect they just happened to have one laying around in new-old-stock and that's why I got it. Pretty neat anyway. Now? I'm lucky if I can buy a part with cash from Deere for a tractor made in the 1970s. Things have changed.

I would guess Toyota at this point is working on the fact most of the 3L's have become new beer cans they have not made them in a long time. The pickups they were in have rusted away, worn out or been wrecked me if I had one I would pursue it to the end if only one person had one recently done the door is still open.

Here is one that just got refused. 1990 Winnebago with 87K miles and blown head gaskets (first time). Three dealers said "no good." I also used Toyota's main VIN lookup for recalls and/or service campaigns. Again, no good.

VIN is JT5VN94T7L0013893

So I called Toyota Motor Sales USA. Again got a "not covered."

That's proof enough to me that in general, Toyota "at large" is not convering a 1990 with 87K miles. Can't say what other specical provisions they might be making for other rigs.

I might buy it to repair and maybe resell. The owner already went to a Toyota dealer and bought two new head gaskets, water pump and belt drive. NO rust and looks in pretty good shape. I'm trying to buy it for $1800. We'll see. There's a 1984 Sunrader parked down the road from it for $2400 that is in good running condition.

post-6578-0-66519200-1379509487_thumb.jp

Yup That VIN was only covered by the Special Policy Adjustment which expired years ago. You could have just checked the documents to find that out. All the VINs are listed by service campaign. Too bad it only missed it by a couple of hundred vehicles. 89's and early 90's are not covered by the forever one

Linda S

If "just checking documents" was the last word in any of this - the entire discussion would be moot (by the modern connotation). Some documents say that nobody's V6 is covered and some others say maybe. I suspect it is a matter of what particular Toyota representative gets involved, how many miles the rig has, etc. I.e., a "crap shoot."

If "just checking documents" was the last word in any of this - the entire discussion would be moot (by the modern connotation). Some documents say that nobody's V6 is covered and some others say maybe. I suspect it is a matter of what particular Toyota representative gets involved, how many miles the rig has, etc. I.e., a "crap shoot."

If you have seen docs saying no one is covered I'm sure we would like to see them or at least know where you found them.

Linda S

For those of you concerned about the head gasket recall, it is alive and well, at least here in Canada. I have purchased two of these rigs, and both required head gasket repairs, one was done in 2012, I paid and was fully reimbursed and then shortly thereafter, was in a crash; total writeoff. I then just bought another one, in 2014, and I took in it and Toyota approved the warranty repair, and did the full engine rework (gasket heads, etc) and gave it back to me. No charge as it was covered in their warranty. So for those of you who have not had done the work, go in and have the dealership confirm your VIN number and other qualifying requirements, and get what is due to you. Thanks to Toyota for standing behind their products.

Brian

See my article, have had two of them repaired.

Brian

I called Toyota about my 92 Warrior. They asked for the VIN number then called me back 2 hours later and said it wasn't on the recall list. I just got it last weekend and it has just under 80,000 miles on it and runs great. I called the woman I got it from and she said they never had any work done on the heads. But she found some paper work from the original owner and he had the timing belt, hoses, water pump, shocks, brakes replaced and the wheel bearing repacked. So it sounds like he stayed on top of things. I just hope Toyota is not giving me the run around on this.

I'd wander in to your local Toyota dealer and ask him to run the VIN. I did this with two Toyotas with the 3VZ-E. They checked both of them for me. One had been done, the other not. As I understand it, 1989 and early 1990s were under a different recall* (or some other type of program) that was ended years ago, unlike the later ones which is still being honored.

*Special Policy Adjustment (SPA) which applied to VINs up to 0014059

If you ask them to check for recalls there's a good chance they won't find anything. This is a special service campaign. Voluntary by Toyota, not mandatory recall by government.

Linda S

I just walk up to the Service Desk and asked them to run the VIN. I might have mentioned 'Recall' but he just handed me a printout with everything that was tied to the VIN, whether you want to call it a Recall or Special Service Campaign. :)

New information on this  Special Service agreement. Toyota is finally calling it quits. Head gasket will continue to be done only through Dec 31, 2017 so you have another year to get it done for free. This is from Gail, moderator on the Yahoo Toyota camper group. She just bought a new camper and took it in and found out the end date.

Linda S

Like most 'stuff' on the 'net, I'd sure prefer to see something to back this up from an Official Toyota source. Not that I don't believe that Gail is reporting what she was told, but rather over the years, how many times have people been told by various Toyota dealers that there was no such Special Service Campaign or that it had already ended. :)

HI TO ALL, THIS HEAD GASKET RECALL INTERESTS ME, AS I HAVE A 1992 WITH 53K MILES, I SUBMITTED MY VIN TO TOYOTA VIA INTERNET SITE, RESPONSE FROM TOYOTA WAS NO RECALL FOR MY VIN, MY QUESTION, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A TOYOTA DATA BASE THAT WOULD PROVIDE A DEFINITIVE YES OR NO IN REGARDS TO THE HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT BEING PERFORMED ON A SUBMITTED VIN ? OR IS THERE A PHONE NUMBER FOR TOYOTA THAT ONE COULD ASK THE QUESTION AND GET A DEFINITIVE ANSWER ?  ALSO, HAS ANYONE HAD THE HEAD GASKET REPLACED RECENTLY AT NO COST ?, AND IF SO COULD YOU PROVIDE THE NAME AND LOCATION OF THE DEALERSHIP THAT PERFORMED THE WORK ? APPEARS TO BE SPECULATION AS TO IF THIS RECALL/REPLACEMENT IS CURRENT OR DISCONTINUED. ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE ? THANKS . JOE FROM DOVER

And as such in a campaign the work is only performed if deemed it is needed per the campaign where as a recall is all in a range.

HI TO ALL, I DECIDED TO CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.  WAS PROMPTED TO A RECALL INFORMATION REPRESENTATIVE. THE SHORT VERSION, I PROVIDED MY VIN. THE LADY FOUND THAT MY RIG HAD THE HEAD GASKET REPLACED IN 1998 AT A DEALERSHIP IN NEW YORK STATE. SHE PROVIDED ME WITH THE NAME OF THE DEALERSHIP AND WHAT CITY IT WAS LOCATED.  THE LADY STATED THAT TOYOTA'S VIN DATABASE CAN VERIFY IF THE REPLACEMENT WAS PERFORMED OR NOT, BUT HAD NO INFO REGARDING IF THE PROGRAM IS STILL IN FORCE.  I NOW AT LEAST KNOW THAT MY RIG HAD THE WORK DONE. I WILL HAVE TO CHECK MY CAR FAX AND TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT THE MILEAGE WAS AT THE TIME OF THE REPLACEMENT. NOT SURE IF THIS HELPS OTHERS, BUT THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE. JOE FROM DOVER

I'd strongly suspect that the Toyota database she accessed that gave the dealer name and location would probably also contain the exact date and mileage when the HG was done

Gail and Jon bought a new camper to replace the one they've been driving for years. It hadn't had the head gasket service done so she made an appointment and when she took it in the manager told her about the end date. Since Toyota has to arrange for the dealers to do this work I would bet that they told him it wasn't going to continue forever.

Linda S

hi to all, just to update, i looked up the dealership name i was given located in upstate new york on line. and clicked on their contact section, i emailed them requesting verification and asking if they  could possibly provide documentation as to the date and mileage at the time of the had gasket replacement.  they emailed me back notification that they received my request and would contact me . that is where i am at now. joe from dover