• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Toyota USA today, 8/19/13 and they told me that service campaign ended quite some time ago. As far as I'm concerned - I'll take their word for it.

I called Toyota USA today, 8/19/13 and they told me that service campaign ended quite some time ago. As far as I'm concerned - I'll take their word for it.

And yet Paul was able to call and have his VIN checked to see if his vehicle qualified. I can't imagine a situation where they would check to see if you qualified for an expired service campaign. Their own docs say no expiration. Whomever you talked to probably was reading the poorly worded doc that you posted instead of the full service campaign. Customer service reps are not known for their extensive training. If anyone needs this done I strongly urge you to print this document and take it to a Toyota dealer. Easiest way to prove what needs to be done.

Linda S

And yet Paul was able to call and have his vin checked to see if his vehicle qualified. I can't imagine a situation where they would check to see if you qualified for an expired service campaign. Their own docs say no expiration. Whomever you talked to probably was reading the poorly worded doc that you posted instead of the full service campaign. Customer service reps are not known for their extensive training. If anyone needs this done I strongly urge you to print this document and take it to a Toyota dealer. Easiest way to prove what needs to be done.

Linda S

Gee wiz - doesn't take a lot of imagination. If you call Toyota - or use their Web-based VIN search engine - a VIN search is the first thing they're going to do - regardless of what remedy or program a person is asking about. The fact that they ran a VIN search proves nothing other then how convenient a digital database can be. The reason why I was on the phone so long with them was because I did NOT provide any VIN number. That meant a simple computer search would not work and the phone-girl had to ask a manager, and he then asked an even higher manager. I asked for specific info about that head-gasket program and if in any cases it was still being honored.

As far as you saying a rep who answers the phone at Toyota USA has no credibility?? Maybe so. If that's the case - seems the company lacks a little credibility also. You also commented previously that a dealer was apt to be lying when he told someone the head-gasket campaign was expired. Again - I know some do lie. I'm also sure some will run a VIN check and/or call the big boys at Toyota USA and get told "no."

If I had a once-eligible Toyota - I'd give it a try. And if the dealer said "no good" I'd probably make a few more calls then give up. Kind of beating a dead-horse with a max-loaded vehicle that's over 20 years old. I've been through this sort of thing many times with Subaru of American (head gaskets and wheel bearings).

I'm also pretty sure that a good Toyota dealer trying to help a good customer could find a way to get Toyota to pay for it. We did such things many times at the John Deere and Chevrolet dealerships I worked at. I'm not sure though how the chain-of-command works with Toyota warranties.

Toyota USA has an easy-to-use Webpage with a VIN search engine so anyone can easily run their VIN and see if Toyota says they qualify for any safety recalls or service campaigns. Good place to start. Once it tells you "no", I guess you can call up the Toyota big-shots, tell them they're wrong - and see if you get anywhere. It certainly worked in the late 70s with Oldsmobile diesel engines in GM pickups. But they were only a few years old at the time and not 20 plus.

GM wound up designing an entirely new DX engine and gave them out for quite a few years to those that were "eligible." I think that stopped after seven years as I recall.

I'd like to see some specifics on one of these recent cases where somebody got the head-gasket work for free - with specifics. Age of vehicle, miles on it, VIN #, etc.

If recent head gasket replacements are really occurring, there is a very easy solution to prove it.

All one needs is the name of a Toyota dealership that recently did a free head gasket replacement, and then just call the manager

of that dealership and ask exactly how they processed the claim. If a dealership name is not being provided, then I really doubt

that these free head gasket replacements are occurring. I would not be surprised that some dealerships are claiming they are

doing the free head gasket replacement in order to charge for a list of other work items to be done at the same time just to get

the business. That would explain why Toyota headquarters is stating the campaign doesn't apply anymore.

I would really like to hear from someone that only got the head gasket replaced (no other work) for free. Guessing that we will

probably not find that situation.

Dennis...

I think it might be hard to find someone who had only the head gasket work done and nothing else after all this time. Most I have heard about took the opportunity to have a bunch of other work as long as the engine was pulled apart to save money on future repairs. You could always ask on the toyota-campers site if anyone would like to share their experience with getting it done.

Linda S

I'll assume that any company,within their chain of command somewhere, can authorize some sort of warranty on anything under special circumstances. I have no doubt that Toyota officially ended this service campaign. That does not mean that under special circumstances that might get them bad press -they can cover the job. If I had a 1990 RV with 40K original miles and a head-gasket problem - I'd whine a bit and try to get some free work.

John Deere used to claim that they would warranty any part they made - ever - if proven to be manufactured in a defective way. I took them up on it 10 years ago with a sand-casting flaw in an engine block for a 1936 model B engine block. It took a lot of calls but I got them to give me, for free , a new old-stock engine block. Note that they no longer make that claim. I also suspect I got it only because they happened to have one laying around.

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a Subaru with 50K miles and shortly after - the rear wheel bearings went bad. Dealer wanted a $1000 to fix. The warranty had expired even though Subaru was in the midst of a huge wheel bearing recall for other year cars. He called a few higher-ups at Subaru America and made up some BS story about having his own "car-talk" type local radio show. He said he would be discussing the outcome of all this on his show. Subaru offered to pay half the price of the repair and he got it done.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 1991 Warrior with the 6cyl. and only 36000 miles. I contacted Toyota dealer, he looked up my VIN and told me to bring it in for recall on head gaskets. For anyone turned downed for this you might want to push a little harder. I'm in the process of fixing all the little things because this set for 7-8 years but I drove it two hundred miles to get it home with no problems. Gas tank was cleaned before trip, and had tires checked out but could not replace before leaving because they (Discount Tires) would have to order them and I could not spend weekend waiting. My wife was not real happy following me at 60 mph all the way home. Good luck on your recall problems.

After getting all excited about being told they would do the recall I have been told by the service manager that this was not a recall but a service bulletin and was only good from 1990 thru 1998. This still makes me wonder why it shows up on Toyota's recall web page and why it would stop while the problem may still exist. I guess my next step is to contact Toyota. Once again I'm sorry if I misled anyone. Happy Trails!

Edited by texrich

Sounds like a good deal if all goes well. I suspect the 36,000 miles has a lot to do with it.

I met a guy recently who says Toyota replaced his frame on his 2002 pickup last year under warranty or recall. I wish I could get them to do the same with my daughter's 2002 Toyota Echo. It's ready to break in half but they offer nothing for that model.

This is what needs to be said to dealers who say the recall is over.

"Provide me with a copy of the official Toyota document saying the recall has ended. If you can not provide me with that proof then you will honor the recall."

If such a document turns up then please scan it and provide a copy to the various motorhome forums.

I bought a 1994 Winnebabo Warrior on 6-18-2013, it had 36,800 miles on it. Took it to Toyota dealership, gave them the vin#, they looked it up. The head gasket recall was done in 1999 with 9,987 miles on it. I asked if there was a time limit on the recall. NO was the answer. AS long as it had not been done already-just one head gasket job per recall. NO time limit.

This is what needs to be said to dealers who say the recall is over.

"Provide me with a copy of the official Toyota document saying the recall has ended. If you can not provide me with that proof then you will honor the recall."

If shuch a document turns up then please scan it and provide a copy to the various motorhome forums.

There never WAS any official recall by Toyota - so finding a specific document saying it was terminated might be a bit difficult. It was a "service campaign", which is quite different.

There never WAS any official recall by Toyota - so finding a specific document saying it was terminated might be a bit difficult. It was a "service campaign", which is quite different.

yep, but most of us still think of it as a recall and still use that term for it in this forum :bye2:

Must be very frustrating for you to have to keep telling us we are wrong about calling it a recall :(

Rather like trying to keep afloat a boat with a big hole in the bottom.

No matter how much you bail the water keeps right on coming in when you have no way plug the hole.

Cute little methaphors boss. They work fine in elementary school. To me words and phrases, in context, carry specific meaning. With auto and tractor companies - recalls often never end, whereas "campaigns" can be administered on an ad hoc and selective basis. Seems kind of obvious that the head gasket deal falls into the latter category. Thus I think your're going to be hard pressed to find a definitive document from a dealer stating "no one will ever get free head gaskets anymore" - or conversely . . "everybody gets them with a 3 liter V6 that needs it."

News update. (Just trying to be funny) I just got off the phone with Toyota recall people. Some of the 1990 and newer models are still covered. This started as a limited service campaign but was made into a recall for some of the models. You will need to call 1-800-331-4331 and have your VIN ready they will verify if it is on the recall list. I got lucky and they said to take mine in next week. They are e-mailing the info to the service department so there will not be any problems.

Toyota bought back rusted frame older trucks and crushed them gave owners fair market value + 50% There are some Co. out there that stand behind their product no matter what. GM pickups rusted just as badly GM did not step up to the plate.

Cute little methaphors boss. They work fine in elementary school. To me words and phrases, in context, carry specific meaning. With auto and tractor companies - recalls often never end, whereas "campaigns" can be administered on an ad hoc and selective basis. Seems kind of obvious that the head gasket deal falls into the latter category. Thus I think your're going to be hard pressed to find a definitive document from a dealer stating "no one will ever get free head gaskets anymore" - or conversely . . "everybody gets them with a 3 liter V6 that needs it."

Remember JD what words mean in context to you are not always the same meaning as was intended by the person who wrote it. We don't want to scare off newbies by making them think they have to take and pass a Toyota legal terminology test in order to participate in the forum.

Don't sweat the small stuff, you know exactly what people are talking about when they come in and say recall on the 6 cylinder engine. You don't have to go OCD on them. Oh wait I guess by context meaning of the term you do have to go that way?

Yeah, we can all say whatever we want.

This is Toyota's stance on the subject. Since we are focused on Toyota issues - for myself - I'll stick with with their definitions.

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. It may or may not relate to a defective part, or a replacement part, although it can. Usually it is a notification of an issue owners have complained about.

A Service Campaign is a voluntary notification to all owners of a specific model about a potential problem. It may impact some, but not necessarily all owners, and may have stipulations related to performing the noted repair.

A Recall is the notification and repair of a particular issue for ALL vehicles in a particular model.

On 2013-09-14 at 9:10 PM, jdemaris said:

Yeah, we can all say whatever we want.

This is Toyota's stance on the subject. Since we are focused on Toyota issues - for myself - I'll stick with with their definitions.

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. It may or may not relate to a defective part, or a replacement part, although it can. Usually it is a notification of an issue owners have complained about.

A Service Campaign is a voluntary notification to all owners of a specific model about a potential problem. It may impact some, but not necessarily all owners, and may have stipulations related to performing the noted repair.

A Recall is the notification and repair of a particular issue for ALL vehicles in a particular model.

great information on the subject.

But do you realize that the first words that pop into people's minds are not going to be Service Campaign or TSB? They are still going to come in saying "recall".

Now please turn that into a PDF file and save it in the forum reference files so next time you can quickly paste a link to it. That way there will be no doubt in anyone's mind about exactly what you mean.

Or better yet private email it to the person you are trying to correct so they don't feel publicly embarrassed for not knowing precisely how they should phrase what they say here so that you will be able understand them clearly.

Hey. Much of the discussion here has been around IF Toyota will still do it, HAS this free repair offer ended, WHY do some get it and others do not, etc. , &c. Subsequently - it seems . . . at least to me . . . knowing exactly what the offer actually IS or WAS has relevance. That is - if you are a person that prefers facts over emotion. We are all free to think what we like (but maybe get chastised for it on these forums).

We are talking about people who bought used, old, over-loaded Toyotas with absolutely NO guarantees or warranties or promises from Toyota - knowing the facts (at least in some cases) and then asking Toyota to pay for some problems. YES . . . great deal if someone can get it. No argument there

Guess what I had a TSB related issue (by their own definition) done to my Tacoma they installed new springs free of charge "harsh ride loaded" I now have 4 leaf springs instead of 3. It is indeed a Technical Service Bulletin to inform the techs about a known issue but that does not mean they won’t fix it if you lived in Canada they came with 4 leaf springs no TSB. If you have an issue related to a TSB they will repair whatever is necessary to resolve your problem or should I say Toyota will. A recall is issued for a safety problem and they are obligated to repair it by the Feds like it or not requires a letter to the know owners. A campaign is a good will program by the manufacturer for a known problem of things that go wrong due to a flaw that shows up after the fact and out of warranty like leaky head gaskets.

I'm being redundant here but I once came across an ad that John Deere published around 1939. In that ad, John Deere claimed they warrantied anything they made - forever if proven to be defective and not just "worn out."

I confronted Deere Co. in Syracuse NY in the early 80s. Why? I had a 1936 John Deere BO tractor with a sand-casting flaw in the engine block. Long story short - I actually was given a brand new engine block by Deere. They did not offer to install it but I was amazed they gave it to me. I suspect they just happened to have one laying around in new-old-stock and that's why I got it. Pretty neat anyway. Now? I'm lucky if I can buy a part with cash from Deere for a tractor made in the 1970s. Things have changed.

I would guess Toyota at this point is working on the fact most of the 3L's have become new beer cans they have not made them in a long time. The pickups they were in have rusted away, worn out or been wrecked me if I had one I would pursue it to the end if only one person had one recently done the door is still open.

Here is one that just got refused. 1990 Winnebago with 87K miles and blown head gaskets (first time). Three dealers said "no good." I also used Toyota's main VIN lookup for recalls and/or service campaigns. Again, no good.

VIN is JT5VN94T7L0013893

So I called Toyota Motor Sales USA. Again got a "not covered."

That's proof enough to me that in general, Toyota "at large" is not convering a 1990 with 87K miles. Can't say what other specical provisions they might be making for other rigs.

I might buy it to repair and maybe resell. The owner already went to a Toyota dealer and bought two new head gaskets, water pump and belt drive. NO rust and looks in pretty good shape. I'm trying to buy it for $1800. We'll see. There's a 1984 Sunrader parked down the road from it for $2400 that is in good running condition.

post-6578-0-66519200-1379509487_thumb.jp

Yup That VIN was only covered by the Special Policy Adjustment which expired years ago. You could have just checked the documents to find that out. All the VINs are listed by service campaign. Too bad it only missed it by a couple of hundred vehicles. 89's and early 90's are not covered by the forever one

Linda S

If "just checking documents" was the last word in any of this - the entire discussion would be moot (by the modern connotation). Some documents say that nobody's V6 is covered and some others say maybe. I suspect it is a matter of what particular Toyota representative gets involved, how many miles the rig has, etc. I.e., a "crap shoot."

If "just checking documents" was the last word in any of this - the entire discussion would be moot (by the modern connotation). Some documents say that nobody's V6 is covered and some others say maybe. I suspect it is a matter of what particular Toyota representative gets involved, how many miles the rig has, etc. I.e., a "crap shoot."

If you have seen docs saying no one is covered I'm sure we would like to see them or at least know where you found them.

Linda S

• 7 months later...

For those of you concerned about the head gasket recall, it is alive and well, at least here in Canada. I have purchased two of these rigs, and both required head gasket repairs, one was done in 2012, I paid and was fully reimbursed and then shortly thereafter, was in a crash; total writeoff. I then just bought another one, in 2014, and I took in it and Toyota approved the warranty repair, and did the full engine rework (gasket heads, etc) and gave it back to me. No charge as it was covered in their warranty. So for those of you who have not had done the work, go in and have the dealership confirm your VIN number and other qualifying requirements, and get what is due to you. Thanks to Toyota for standing behind their products.

Brian

See my article, have had two of them repaired.

Brian