Hey y'all,

even after reading till I'm about blind on this axle stuff, I need clarification for my 78 Chinook Newport.

Checked the NHSTA site and I couldn't find the 78 Chinook listed in the recalls. Can I presume the 1-ton axle is not required? :unsure:

The truck has 14" tires on the front and 6 ply 15" rear that are either 8 or 10" wide. I checked on tires yesterday and one dealer suggests 8 ply tires for the rear.

Theres some squeaking and swaying going on, so sway bars might be a good idea?

Thanks for all the excellent info here.

K

Hey y'all,

even after reading till I'm about blind on this axle stuff, I need clarification for my 78 Chinook Newport.

Checked the NHSTA site and I couldn't find the 78 Chinook listed in the recalls. Can I presume the 1-ton axle is not required? :unsure:

The truck has 14" tires on the front and 6 ply 15" rear that are either 8 or 10" wide. I checked on tires yesterday and one dealer suggests 8 ply tires for the rear.

Theres some squeaking and swaying going on, so sway bars might be a good idea?

Thanks for all the excellent info here.

A heavy duty axle would not be needed for your application but it would not hurt if one just happened to fall into your lap (i.e. you just happen to see one sitting in the weeds and the fella says "I'll take $100 fir it installed").

8 ply tires are nice but ride hard. Here again your Chinook is on the fence between needing C range or D range tires. If you can get the D range at a similar price go with them as it is always nice to have a little "cush factor". Make sure that the tires say "load range D" and not just 8 ply.

Try to find a matching set of rims (salvage yard is a good place to look) and stick with all the same size, make, and tread pattern tire. Carrying 2 spares for different size tires is not what you want to be doing. Check your spare to make sure it is the same size rim and tire

Your sway is probably from worn shocks. Unfortunately Bilstein no longer makes shocks for the early Toyota trucks so you are stuck with "other" shocks. I would not know what to recommend as for the past 30 years I have only used either Bilstein or Koni shocks on all my vehicles.

I would not recommend sway bars unless your tire/shock replacement does not clear up your "wiggly" problem.

Thanks, Mike. I hadn't even noticed the rims/tires were different sizes prior to checking them out for replacements; and even then, didn't occur to me that I'd need 2 spares. :headbonk:

Think it would be better to go with 15" all around, but maybe 4-6 ply in front and in rear, D load, 6-8 ply ?

Shocks were on my list as well and good to know that might solve the sway problem.

Lots of bushes around here in N.W. AR and plenty of old stuff in some of these backwoods salvages; maybe I'll run over sumpin 4 wheeling.

Can I still play even though I don't need an axle fix?

K