It's not legal to drive slow in Texas - Warning

We were returning from a month long visit in Colorado. On a four lane divided state highway, posted speed of 70mph, we were pulled over by state trooper for"impeding traffic", although we were in the slow/right hand lane. Were informed that the minimum speed is 25mph below the posted speed limit. According to the speedo I was between 45 & 50, trooper clocked me and cited me for going 42mph. This became an excuse to demand to search the vehicle(s) for probable cause. (coming home from Colorado) I have not seen any signage of minimum speeds, other than on the Interstates. I suspect that anyone coming from California, or any of the medical/legal marijuana states will be subject to the same knd of harassment.

R.I.D. Registration, Insurance, Driver's liscence is ALL you are required to give to an officer. Cops can legally lie, and you will find yourself in deep doo if you voulenteer any information. Stay safe, spend your hard earned money on the mini rather than attorneys.

I can't speak to your specific conditions, but I agree, 50 is running to slow out on the interstate where people are typically running 70 - 75 and faster. If you were doing 42, I bet more than a few drivers filled their pants as they come up on you doing 75.. Hopefully the ticket doesn't cost anything.

My recommendation, Plead ignorance, your speedometer was way off and you've since got it fixed, and then thank the officer for bringing this to your attention.

You may want to check your speedometer to see if its calibrated, When mine reads 60, According to my GPS, I'm doing about 56. If you have a GPS, Most will read out speed, if not you can do the ole mile-marker post time check.

After 40 years of running interstates, When I'm in the Toyhouse and running slow, I generally get off the Interstate and run on the U.S. or State routes. WOW, What a difference, takes a little longer, but I've see stuff I never knew existed.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Having read your post under "Appliance Tech" I've come to the conclusion the "souvenir" you referenced is the illegal kind.

Most interstates have a posted minimum of 45mph. If driving less than this you would stay in the far right lane with your 4 way flashers on. This makes you perfectly legal.

I suspect when you were pulled over there was an unusual and easily identified odor coming from your vehicle. This would give the police the "probable cause" to search you.

Normally on a motor vehicle stop you would need to obtain consent to search without a warrant. The exception being the above mentioned odor.

I suspect the police probably observed you passing by and used your speed as a reason for the stop.

Put an NRA sticker on the back of your rig. problem solved, never get pulled over again. Would advise placing it over the Obama Biden sticker if ones on there, in texas.

^ Everything Totem said. :-)

post-4544-0-29401300-1374177087_thumb.jp

By the way, if your painted up in a hippie / flower child paint scheme. You probably better get used to spending a lot of time pulled over. :-)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Put an NRA sticker on the back of your rig. problem solved, never get pulled over again. Would advise placing it over the Obama Biden sticker if ones on there, in texas.

:first:

This was several years ago, but in Washington State, a vehicle licensed as a motorhome was legally a home and required a search warrant to enter it. I pointed this out to one of the very few cops I ever had a hassle with and he bitched, but eventually agreed and said it wasn't worth it and let me leave.

Steve

This was several years ago, but in Washington State, a vehicle licensed as a motorhome was legally a home and required a search warrant to enter it. I pointed this out to one of the very few cops I ever had a hassle with and he bitched, but eventually agreed and said it wasn't worth it and let me leave.

Steve

:first: :first:

Now if that same rig is sitting parked in a private location then the cops would not be able to enter without a search warrant as there would not be an immediate threat to their safety or the publics unless someone in it is acting in a threatening manner.

Appears not to be true - at least here in NY. The mayor of a small rural town next to mine just got arrested and made the front page of the local newspaper. Why? He runs a garden center. He was noticed by someone sleeping inside the cab of his farm tractor on his own property. NOT a public highway. Someone called the State police and claimed he'd been seen earlier driving "erratically" on the highway. State police entered his property, woke him up and then asked him to take a sobriety test. He refused claiming they were violating his rights. Tractor was not running but keys were in it. He got arrested and his driver's license suspended. It will be interesting to see what happens when it goes to court.

A few months ago, my neighbor that has a saw mill had "diesel police" enter his private property and "dip" his fuel tanks - checking for illegal diesel fuel . He got arrested for running heating oil in his Detroit Diesel that runs his mill saw. They entered his property and saw mill with no warrants. They did say they needed a warrant to enter his home where his diesel pickup was parked. They had to "ask" permission but made it clear he'd better do it. He did and also got busted for dyed diesel in his Duramax Chevy.

Here's the story of the guy sleeping in his tractor:

Davenport supervisor charged with DWI

By Denise Richardson Staff WriterThe Daily Star

The Davenport town supervisor, who was taking a nap in his tractor Sunday night, was arrested on a felony drunken driving charge, state police at Oneonta said.

Dennis J. Valente, 58, of Davenport Center, was charged at 7:05 p.m. with operating a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol content of .08 of 1 percent, a felony count because of prior history, troopers said. He was arraigned in Davenport Town Court and released, pending re-appearance in court at 2 p.m. June 25.

Valente represents Davenport, which has about 2,900 residents, on the Delaware County Board of Supervisors. He owns the Davenport Garden Center at 11600 State Highway 23, where troopers made the arrest.

Troopers said they were investigating a complaint made at 6:17 p.m. Sunday about gravel falling off a bucket truck and were looking for the vehicle’s owner, Valente, who was found asleep at the wheel of a tractor.

Valente failed a standard field sobriety test, troopers said. Details about prior cases related to the felony count and other possible charges weren’t immediately available because the investigation continues, troopers said Tuesday.

Valente said he works daily at his garden during this season and sometimes will take a cat nap in his tractor. On Sunday, he was napping after working 14 hours, including some time driving the tractor.

When state police arrived, he was napping in cab of the tractor, which was on his property parked near one of the center’s greenhouses, a location where he would be available if needed. The engine wasn’t running, he said.

Valente, who said he will be hiring an attorney, refused to speak about the field sobriety test and other details because the incident is a legal matter pending in court.

“It’s got to play out in the courts,” Valente said. However, Valente said he did refuse to take an alcohol breath test.

``There was no reason to ask me to submit to that,’’ Valente said. “We’re at an age when we’re losing so many civil liberties.”

As a result of his refusal, his driver’s license was taken away, a penalty Valente said was greater than if he had taken the breath test and failed.

“I’m walking a little bit more,” he said.

On Tuesday, Davenport Town Judge Ron Menhennett said he couldn’t comment on the case.

According to Valente, who sign’s Menhennett’s paychecks, the judge said Sunday that he would recuse himself from the case.

Valente said the county district attorney will need to decide whether to prosecute the case.

ShareT

Hey everybody, thanx for all the ideas and info. I do new to clarify a few things tho. I was not on the interstate. I am 62, & yea, have sort of a Willie Nelson profile. Grew up in Austin,(4th generation Texan) ((shame)) and lived in Colorado from 1980 to 2007. I have always had a preference for driving the secondary(state) roads, generally slower speeds and a lot less traffic. Although we have, in our first year of mini ownership, made 2 trips to Colorado, and two trips to San Antonio and the gulf coast, latter on I-10 posted speed limit is 80mph El Paso to Kerille, I usually put on the flashers when the speed gets below 50. Absolutely no other stops until this most recent one. This post about not driving slow in TX, was meant to be cautionary warning, That since CO changed it's pot laws, Anyone coming from that state to this one should expect to be stopped and searched, whether it's legal to do so or not. I would suspect that Kansas and Wyoming may be doing the same thing. Stay Safe

I-10, I-20, and I-25 (NM) are major drug transport corridors. Any vehicle meeting profile parameters will be stopped. I.e. Older vehicle, large storage capacity, appearance of being overloaded etc. (sound familiar?)

As long as you have no "souvenirs" you may be hassled, but not detained for long.

Oh boy!

Pot=Washington State and Colorado folks driving Toyhomes at the spped of parked! There goes the neighborhood!

I got stopped in Florida for just having California plates. When the officer saw that it was just me and my 15 year old daughter you could see that he was embarrased and uncomfortable. He ended up telling me I was too close to the big rig in front of me and to stay farther back. I was at least 6 to 10 car lengths back. Any closer and the wind from the truck would bucket me back and forth so I always stayed back from them. No ticket and a have a great time in Florida but shouldn't have happened at all

Linda S

Ya want a real thrill. I rode a motorcycle through MS, AL, GA and FL with CA plates, about a year after Easy Rider came out. Spent a lot time having "safety inspections", didn't dare to even think about exceeding the speed limit.

WME

California has the same law CVC 22400, gotta be carefull but it's something you could talk your way out of as long as you aren't a jerk to the cops. And remember don't fight them tell them no and if they insist let them you can beat them in court it's easier then getting beaten at the scene.

cruise control is useless on a 22re... so the solution only applies to the v6 crowd. In my paperwork from the first owner (I am a second owner) on my sunrader I saw invoice for followed by a credit for a cruise control system. Apparently the first owner put one in then returned claiming it fail,ed to function properly and they refunded and removed the unit. That tells me the cruise control no worky in the 22re.

I use my Cruise control all the time. Holds speed fairly well. If I'm in mountainous country, I sometimes need to "help" it. The gas pedal goes to the floor, if it stays there to long my CC will trip out. Its also good for "grannying" up a hill in 2nd or 1st. drop the tranny down into 2nd (or 1st) and set the speed (I usually granny in 1st gear at 25mph or 2nd gear at 35-40.

Granny, = Don't waste your time building up speed then upshifting, because the higher gear will not maintain the speed. just leave it in the lower gear and climb the hill. i.e. eastbound climb up I-70 to the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000 ft). [put the tranny in 1st, make the climb at about 25 mph with the 4 ways on.

If you add an aftermarket CC, Don't get the one that uses engine vacuum servo, you need the kind that uses electric servo. (the thing that moves the gas pedal) The throttle will spend a lot of time on the floor and vacuum servos will constantly trip out and will not be able to hold speed.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

yeah the one she had had installed on my rig i think was a vacuum one; definitely not factory. She did get her money back though it seems. So your cruise works in the 22re? fascinating. seems it would only be good for 55-60 to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all's well that ends.... Correct, it was an ILLEGAL stop, and the county prosecutor dropped the charges. The hippie bus probably wouldn't even be noticed in Marfa. Down in Terlingua there might be the risk of someone breaking in looking for cold beer, but they would probably leave a "gift" in return. I heard on NPR yesterday that eight out of ten busts at the border check point at Sierra Blanca (I-10 east of El Paso) are people from California. Seriously, tho, for the dozen or so times that I have driven the same state highway, 385 I have never had a "trooper" get in my face or worse, in this case, my wife's face and scream "I smell raw marijuana" and threaten and demand to search under threat of arrest. This has only started since Colorado (whatever gods there be, forgive me for leaving) did the smart thing. ANYBODY with licence plates from ANY of the states that have legalized/decriminalized/medicalized can expect the same sort of welcome to the "lone brain cell state." Even admitting that you are returning from one of these states will trigger the scream, I smell....) which is what we did as we have TX plates. We have NRA MEMBER stickers, and Mr. officer was perfectly ok with the several guns and ammo that were on board. So be careful, spend your travel $ in CO, or WA or even Mississippi!

• 1 year later...

I thought you could use off road diesel as long as you had proof of payment of gas tax. I had plans to produce biodiesel to run on my duramax diesel and part of making your own diesel is you pay the gas tax, either estimated by miles driven/gas used.

TX cops are notorious for giving out tickets cuz they can.

I thought you could use off road diesel as long as you had proof of payment of gas tax. I had plans to produce biodiesel to run on my duramax diesel and part of making your own diesel is you pay the gas tax, either estimated by miles driven/gas used.

TX cops are notorious for giving out tickets cuz they can.

Off-road diesel is only allowed for highway use when a special "waiver" has been granted. That sometimes gets done during emergency fuel shortages like when the big hurricane hit New Orleans. Besides the tax thing, some of it has too much sulfur for the emissions systems in newer diesel engines. Several people have been busted where I was living in NY for using bogus fuel. Some versions of the Isuzu-GM Duramax won't even run properly is the electronic pump drivers sense too much sulfur in the fuel.

Home-made fuel is different (like bio fuel, canola (Canada) oil, deep fryer oil, etc.). Jimmy Carter passed a Federal law back when he was president allowing a certain percentage of home-made fuel to be used on highway vehicles. States can pass their own laws though, making it illegal.

Off road diesel is dyed RED, a very persistent red. All the cop has to do is draw a fuel sample and if they see red, your toast. If your making home brew fuel just don't dye it red.

In WY off road fuel is ultra low sulfur

Off road farm-fuel and home heating oil are also now ultra-low sulfur in many areas. Only difference between the home heating oil now - from off-road/farm-diesel is the lubricity. Farm fuel is required to have a lube additive put into it. Home heating oil does not.

There are some creative people who have found ways to make dyed fuel clear again. Thus the reason why cops often send suspect fuel to labs to be tested.

I must admit I miss the days when I could drive my car or truck on home heating oil that costed me 39 cents a gallon on "spring farm special." That's when left-over winter diesel and heating oil, cut with 50% kerosene, used to get unloaded dirt cheap.

When I had my 180D I was in the USAF. The car ran on a mix of JP and Diesel. The procedure was to drain a gallon or so of fuel of each tank on a plane to check for contaminants. After checking it was poured in the Contaminated Fuel Bowser along with any engine oil draining's then spread over dirt roads to keep the dust down. So much for the good old days. I was saving the environment by keeping the JP out of it.

I like your excuse works for me! They are still doing that but have lost the excuse. If anyone is concerned about lubricity the simple fix is biodiesel in the mix.

Using two-stroke-cycle oil from walmart in gallon jugs is by far the most cost-effective way to add lube to diesel fuel Mix at a 1 to 200 ratio. Been lab tested against many name-brand lube-additives and won 1

Some results of a fuel additive test. Walmart SuperTech 2-stroke is #7. Prices in this test are no longer valid. The Walmart oil is now $12 per gallon. Takes 13 ounces per 20 gallon tank of diesel, i.e. $1.22 worth of oil per tank.

Printed info from the tests that were done:

An independent research firm in Texas was hired to do the laboratory work. The cost of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers. Declining to participate and pay for the research were the following companies: Amsoil and Power Service. Because these are popular products it was determined that they needed to be included in the study. These products were tested using funds collected by diesel enthusiasts at “dieselplace.com”. Additionally, unconventional additives such as 2-cycle oil and used motor oil were tested for their abilities to aid in diesel fuel lubricity. These were also paid for by members of “dieselplace.com”.
The study was conducted in the following manner:
-The Research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario, very dry diesel fuel” that would likely cause damage to any fuel delivery system. This fuel was tested using the HFRR at the Southwest Research Laboratory. This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel. It was determined that this batch of fuel would be utilized as the baseline fuel for testing all of the additives. The baseline fuel HFRR score of 636 would be used as the control sample. All additives tested would be evaluated on their ability to replace lost lubricity to the fuel by comparing their scores to the control sample. Any score under 636 shows improvement to the fuels ability to lubricate the fuel delivery system of a diesel engine

BLIND STUDY:

In order to ensure a completely unbiased approach to the study, the following steps were taken:
Each additive tested was obtained independently via internet or over the counter purchases. The only exceptions were Opti-Lube XPD and the bio-diesel sample. The reason for this is because Opti-Lube XPD additive was considered “experimental” at the time of test enrollment and was not yet on the market. It was sent directly from Opti-Lube company. The bio-diesel sample was sponsored by Renewable Energy Group. One of their suppliers, E.H. Wolf and Sons in Slinger, Wisconsin supplied us with a sample of 100% soybean based bio-diesel. This sample was used to blend with the baseline fuel to create a 2% bio-diesel for testing.
Each additive was bottled separately in identical glass containers. The bottles were labeled only with a number. This number corresponded to the additive contained in the bottle. The order of numbering was done randomly by drawing names out of a hat. Only Spicer Research held the key to the additives in each bottle.
The additive samples were then sent in a box to An independent research firm. The only information given them was the ratio of fuel to be added to each additive sample. For example, bottle “A” needs to be mixed at a ratio of “480-
1”. The ratio used for each additive was the “prescribed dosage” found on the bottle label for that product. Used motor oil and 2-cycle oil were tested at a rationally chosen ratio of 200:1.
The Research Laboratory mixed the proper ratio of each “bottled fluid” into a separate container containing the baseline fuel. The data, therefore, is meaningful because every additive is tested in the same way using the same fuel. A side-by-side comparison of the effectiveness of each additive is now obtainable.

THE RESULTS:

These results are listed in the order of performance in the HFRR test. The baseline fuel used in every test started at an HFRR score of 636. The score shown is the tested HFRR score of the baseline fuel/additive blend.
Also included is the wear scar improvement provided by the additive as well as other claimed benefits of the additive. Each additive is also categorized as a Multi-purpose additive, Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Lubricity only, non-conventional, or as an additive capable of treating both gasoline and diesel fuel.
As a convenience to the reader there is also information on price per treated tank of diesel fuel (using a 26 gallon tank), and dosage per 26 gallon tank provided as “ounces of additive per 26 gallon tank”.

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV
Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver, emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend
Muti-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver
HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement
512:1 ratio
6.5 oz/tank
$3.65/tank

6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.87/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Lubricity Only
demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate
Multi-purpose
demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.16/tank

10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

11)Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner
Multi-purpose
Alcohol free
HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement
480:1 ratio
6.9 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
price: market value

14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
Gas or diesel
HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
427:1 ratio
7.8 oz/tank
$2.65/tank

15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech
Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
3.32 oz/tank
$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$2.38/tank

19)Primrose Power Blend 2003
Multi-purpose
Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, emulsifier
HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline
1066:1 ratio
3.12 oz/tank
$1.39/tank

CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

I run soyshield made by Schaefer, but it is a pain in the u know where.

I just buy good diesel now with good addy already in it or with good lubricity rating.

Meijer diesel has Schaefer's addy,

in summer I just buy 10 to 20 % bio every other tank, the truck smells better :-)

soyshield costs 1.50 a tank

Well looks like I guessed close. I use a pint of 2c oil per 10 gal of JP. The basic fuel mix was 60% JP 40% diesel or something close to that.

This was way before there was even low sulfur fuel, much less ultra low sulfur. Fuel was $1 a gallon so I was saving like $10 a tank, seems to be a lot of work in view of todays prices. But hey I was making $195 a month. Taco Bell tacos were 4 for a buck so thats 10 meals. A tank of fuel lasted about a month if I was just communting