Is it worth buying a manual over automatic transmission?

I am running into a dilemma with finding a stick shift Toyhome with a 1 ton axle. There are a bunch of auto trans Toyhomes with 1 ton axle, but finding a stick shift with a 1 ton axle is trying my patience. Is it really worth getting one with a manual transmission and trying to hire a mechanic to put a one ton axle on? Is there that much difference in gas mileage with an auto? Are the transmissions dependable on the 4 cylinder toys?

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)

Auto tranny is OK, I was of a similiar thought, I looked for a manual, but in a way, I'm glad I got the auto.

I would look for an 86, 87, 88 or newer. Look to see if it has an aux tranny cooler (you really want one)

Important, climb under and wiggle the tail shaft as it exits the tranny, It may wiggle a tiny bit, about 1/4 the thickness of a dime.

From what I've read, it seems like the trannys that have tail shaft problems don't have an aux tranny cooler.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I also looked for a manual tranny unit but am happy that I got the auto. My wife loves driving the MH with the auto but would have "tolerated" the manual.

I have pulled out of some camp sites that may have taxed the clutch in a manual but I don't think there was any problem with the auto.

I do not have any clue how much gas mileage is lost due to the auto but I still get about 15 mpg.

That is a beauty! I think I may have have to take a long road trip to pickup the toyhome I want. I really want a 18-20ft camper with that look. It seems the best toyhomes are in California. I don't want to travel that far though!

I looked country wide and that is the only one I could find not already gone. other listings had been deleted. I use www.adhuntr.com to find motorhomes but the ads don't usually show up for a couple of days and the manual tranny ones with the full float axles are gone in a heartbeat. Email them. Can't hurt to try. Some people are really nice and when they find out how much you like their camper they will bend over backward to help you out. I'll keep looking too. Your in the midwest? You could join my yahoo group too. We kind of specialize in finding people motorhomes and post everything we see.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/minitruckcampers/

Linda S

They are out there just very rare.There are some v6 models that have a 5 speed manual too. Also quite a number of 84 and 85 that have been upgraded the the good axle. It's just that they go so fast when they are listed.

Linda S

I love my dolphin but I do wish it was an auto. pulling up onto leveling blocks, large hills in campgrounds, I think if I ever got another I'd look for one with an auto transmission and eat the 1-2 mpg difference.

trying to remember what year the 22re went from the good chain and chain sprockets to the plastic ones... maybe it wasnt the 22re but the 22r?

I know there was a double timing chain in early years and the newer 22REs have a single chain with plastic guides that go bad; but I want to say the early 22REs with EFI had the single chain with better guides>? maybe i misremember. point is the newer 4 bangers will need a timing chain at 70k ish; great time to do a valve job and put in metal guides to replace the plastic. Something to look for to see if that was done.

Plastics timing guides came with the single row timing chain. 22R. It's a little hazy, but some trucks as late as 82 or even 83 had dual row, but most had single. So some time in the early 80s, with the 22R, they switched to single row and plastic guide. At least as far as my Internet reading has told me. :) 20Rs are the only ones guaranteed to have dual row and metal backed guides.

engnblder.com (or something very similar... Engine builder.) sells metal backed guides for single row chains, though.

For me, manual is worth it. Things may change with time, but so far in my life I've always preferred manual. GREATLY prefered. I just have no fun driving an auto.

Plus, with a 35 year old vehicle, I can pop start it. Which I just took advantage of, camping last weekend...

I thought I wanted a manual tranny, but got a Sunrader with an automatic, thank goodness! I also have an 87 Toyota PU with a manual. Without slipping the clutch, idling, it goes 5 or 6 mph, reverse too. In many boondocking campgrounds there are loads of potholes and 1/2 mph is more like it if you don't want to rearrange your possessions! The auto is really an advantage in these spots, especially uphill, where idling is out!

I think they changed to the single chain in 1984 on the 22R, unfortunately, as that's what my Sunrader is. Same with my Pickup and I had the "death rattle" when I bought it. I had it replaced right away and the new chain (not a cheapie) lasted about 4000 miles and broke! Defective, amazingly there was no damage to the valves are anything else! The repair shop redid everything at no charge.

Steve

That is true, you can only creep so slowly in a manual without kind of having the clutch halfway in and out the whole time, unless you regear.

My 83 toyota had a single row chain. Most 82s had single row. Basically, if you've got a 22R, you're very lucky if its got a dual row. 22R came in 82, as far as I remember.

That is true, you can only creep so slowly in a manual without kind of having the clutch halfway in and out the whole time, unless you regear.

My 83 toyota had a single row chain. Most 82s had single row. Basically, if you've got a 22R, you're very lucky if its got a dual row. 22R came in 82, as far as I remember.

The L series four speed manual trans found in most Toyota RVs (with stick) has a fairly high first gear and thus the issue. Even worse with the W50 five speed of that vintage. Later manual transmissons usually have much lower 1st gears and having a creeper low is not an issue. I'd rather have an auto than a manual in any RV IF a HD OD-auto trans with lock-up was available. Otherwise - I prefer the better fuel mileage and reliability of a manual trans. I've never been stuck anywhere with a manual trans failure. Can't say the same for an automatic -especially with an non locking "oil heater" torque converter that slips all the time.