I believe the OEM calls for 185. If its too cool it drives the EFI controller nuts and runs a little richer, because it thinks the engine isn't warmed up yet.

185 / 195 should be OK.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have read that some of the cheap thermostats will cause your engine to get a little warmer before they open up. Mine must be one of those because when I start the MH in the morning, the gauge goes up higher than usual and then drops down to normal operating temp. When I replace it, I will be using a Toyota thermostat.

I have read that some of the cheap thermostats will cause your engine to get a little warmer before they open up. Mine must be one of those because when I start the MH in the morning, the gauge goes up higher than usual and then drops down to normal operating temp. When I replace it, I will be using a Toyota thermostat.

I'm sure they can't be all bad but my 35 dollar thermostat from Toyota wouldn't open at all. Not even sitting in a pot of boiling water. Thank goodness I took the time to test it out before I tried to go anywhere. They wouldn't take it back either. Bought a 7 dollar one from auto parts store and it still works fine

Linda S

I am holding off on changing it for now. I have thoroughly flushed the system and it is running at a temp reading well below halfway point on the gauge. The engine runs smoothly always and keeps cool enough. I will keep an eye on the temp gauge and may buy a thermostat with the gasket and keep it close by just in case I have an issue. I priced one at Toyota dealer yesterday for $18 but the counter man could not give me any info about the thermostat's temp range for my vehicle so I did not buy it.

Thanks again for the info

The temp gauges are not overly accurate so what ever yours reads normally is mostly likely where it needs to be if it reads lower then normal or hotter then it's time to look into the system. Thermostats are rated in temps C so a 180* would be marked 82* there should be a small stamp mark on the stat.