Towing A Toyhome?

When my fuel pump failed in the Kirkwood RV lot, (as I was on my way to get propane before a predicted three foot weekend snowstorm) the tow truck driver had to drop the u-joint at the differential, and tied it up out of the way. It towed easily for him, though.

$10 per mile charge. AAA paid the first $200. Then cost me another $300, to get to the closest mechanic in Gardnerville.

First time that a paid mechanic had worked on the SkiBumMobile since I purchased it. But towing it home would have been over $1,400.

Sad part is that I had to totally re-do the work, as we discovered a small crack at one of the welds on the front angle iron support of the tank. Got the tank boiled out so my welder could seal the tank. He extended the fix, and welded all around the piece, and did the rear support also. (I was able to spin the pickup tube around to the front, and lowered it to the bottom of the tank, reclaiming about a gallon more usable fuel capacity.) Missed a week of skiing for that downtime.

But, Yes, it can be towed.

with an automatic transmission you must disconect the driveline to tow with rear wheels down or you will burn up the auto transmission.

If your going more than about 25 miles, Id say, drop the drive shaft. The engine is not circulating tranny fluid, so the fluid overheats in and around the bearings/bushings. (Look at the recent posts regarding the tail housing and bushing.

FYI -There are companies that sell pumps that you can plumb into a Towed that will circulate tranny fluid and keep the bearings cool and lubricated. I don't think you would want to put one of these on a Toyhouse, unless you plan on towing it a lot.

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/product.php?f=lubePumpKit.php

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You can aslo pull the axles, if you have the one ton axle. You will need a plug to keep the lube inside the rear end.

• 4 months later...

I just towed mine 700 miles. Rented a U-Haul 14 ft truck and a dolly. Tell them you are towing a Toyota Pickup, extended cab (Well, its kinda true). It towed very nicly, did 65 and stayed with traffic. Just be careful on gas stops, make wide turns, and don't get trapped somewhere that you'll need to back out of. I installed a flat four prong plug for the Motor-homes running lights and turn signals. Took about 45 minutes to do that.

Mine has two driveshafts, I just removed the aft driveshaft, (14mm wrenches)

The only thing I wiashed I had done, use a piece of chalk or crayon or marker, and mark the shaft front and rear, and put a couple alignment marks so when I put the drive shaft back on, I could install it exactly wher it cam off of.

As it is, the aft shaft can be installed either way (front and back flanges are identical) Probably not big deal.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)

post-4544-0-14448000-1384378362_thumb.jp