1984 Toyota Mini-Cruiser Roof and Ceiling replacement

marshtonk21

im replacing the roof on my 1984 Toyota Mini-cruiser measures 17ft long has a 22r 4cylinder with a 4 speed transmission ill post pictures once i figure out how to downsize and fit them here any suggestions or comments during the process would be helpful . Has anyone ever boughten the rolled aluminum for the roof ?

Hi marshtonk21

Once you have figured out how to do this, remember also this is a golden opportunity to rewire and add additional wiring. with the interior stripped out, you can install new wiring for lighting, speakers, cable(s) controls and power supplies.

So in my rig I have plans to rewire the main coach battery wiring and will end up with a primary ANL fuse (150 amp) and isolation key (marine type isolator key), secondary fuses for the charging circuits, and wiring for the battery monitoring unit I am planning on getting to keep an eye on the coach battery and charging system.

I am adding a radio, MP3 player and good speakers up on the end of the cabinets and all the controls - including the power supplies.

I am replacing the original water level monitoring system for the black water and drinking water tanks.

I am installing wiring at the back in case I want to install a backup camera.

I am installing wiring for a burglar alarm system (for the future)

I am installing wiring from my new power invertor to supply house 110 power

I am installing wiring to charger ports for cell phone, short wave radio (future plan) and laptop.

I too have plans to install a new rear exhaust fan in the bathroom and may included a wire for remote control of this unit, up near the front.

So make a list of all your power and entertainment needs, throw in a couple of spares.

One thing about Toys, they don't have great grounding systems and anytime you can upgrade the grounding from say, interior lights, do so. It is way more efficient to do that when every thing is opened up.

Boots

You might consider EPDM a rubber material. Sheet the roof with plywood, care fully finish the edges, roll on glue, roll out the EPDM bringing it down over the edge, install aluminum trim strip with screws, cut off excess material. Many of the newer rvs use this material. It was cheaper for me & easier. Just a thought.

RHS

• 4 weeks later...

im replacing the roof on my 1984 Toyota Mini-cruiser measures 17ft long has a 22r 4cylinder with a 4 speed transmission ill post pictures once i figure out how to downsize and fit them here any suggestions or comments during the process would be helpful . Has anyone ever boughten the rolled aluminum for the roof ?

Does your Mini-cruiser have a wood frame (like a Dolphin) or a metal frame? Just curious since I've been told older Mini-cruisers are wood, but I don't know what year they switched to metal tubing. I know my 88 is metal. I think this photo of stripped -down Cruiser is an 84.

post-6578-0-39792200-1374712959_thumb.jp

The older smooth sided Mini Cruiser's were made from compressed composite sheeting. From the pic you posted which does indeed look like a Mini Cruiser from the front striping and roof angle, I would say that composite sheeting was attached to a metal frame. RBR the manufacturer called it laminated construction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Toyota-RBR-Mini-Cruiser-RV-Motorhome-Brochure-wr2396-7PIE37-/290882033364

Linda S

The owner of the toyota-camper site on yahoo used to have a diesel Mini cruiser. He repaired his roof with plywood and sealed it with fiberglass.