A rock kicked up by a passing truck hit our over cab front window. It exploded into the camper, thousands of glass shards, blankets, clothing, paper blowing all over the place. If your cab over window is glass, you should never allow anyone to ride up there! You might want to pre-empt disaster by replacing your window with lexan. It costs about $75. Please spread the word.

Sorry it happened but it is never legal to let someone ride up there. Glass shards ? It's supposed to be tempered glass and should have broken into little balls. Someone replaced the glass with not the right kind to save some money. Glad no one was hurt.

Linda S

wow that must of been scary with the bang of the glass breaking and all the wind inside the rv..glad everyone is safe!!

when we where kids going camping we would leave around 3am my brothers would be asleep in cabover,no matter how my parents tried I would never go to sleep would be up the whole 8 hour drive sitting on the floor between them..I guess we where pretty lucky nobody got hurt...Now traveling I make sure everyone is in a legal seat with seatbelts theirs no way you can stop on a dime going 50 to 60 mph in these rv and when the shi* hits the fan I want to be as safe as I can be...

I have seen rocks blow through windshield on cars... glass went everywhere; tiny shards of it. I agree with Karin, put a film on the glass heck great excuse to put some tint !

There is a really thick film for that application, even make it in clear so you can put it on the front side windows and windshield if you want.

Saved me on my truck when they tried to break in the side door window and discovered the glass was a lot harder to get thru than they planned on. I still had to replace the window, but they didn't get inside.

• 1 month later...

Had the same thing happen recently while we were in Alaska,Hindsight is always better,if you are going up there put plywood over the window before it gets broken,second benefit it helps darken the bed area for sleeping as i never gets really dark in the summer.As you can see in the photo we had aluminum foil in there to darken it and that helped keep some of the glass fragments out of the bed but it was still a big mess to clean up.Later the 1/4" plywood warped and pulled the duct tape away and rain got in(should have covered all the wood with duct tape) Drying the mattress in place is not easy!

post-4760-0-60431200-1376599279_thumb.jp

post-4760-0-14133800-1376599300_thumb.jp

There is a really thick film for that application, even make it in clear so you can put it on the front side windows and windshield if you want.

Saved me on my truck when they tried to break in the side door window and discovered the glass was a lot harder to get thru than they planned on. I still had to replace the window, but they didn't get inside.

Can you post what that material is and where it can be found? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Mine was replaced with plexiglass by the previous owner. It has warped and water leaked inside during a rain storm while on the road. I had to do a patch job in my cousin barn half way cross country! Looks a mess…Maybe the Lexan won't warp. Hope so, thanks for the suggestion. I have heard of this happening to many Toyota RV owners…and yes it is sharp and makes a big mess. If you still have glass up there; get the tint material on it ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...