Fresh Water, Refiregerator Questions

We are new to the world of RVing. We just got a 1985 Toyota Sunrader that we just love. I love this website! Hopefully this will help a lot of us learn the easier, rather the hard way.

1. When filling the fresh water tank, I believe I want all the faucets open. Once the water comes out and the air is bled from the system, I think I shut off the faucets and the water supply (the hose). I do not have a pressure regulator, so I assume the water pressure may be too high to just leave on the hose. Is this correct?

2. Refrigerator (Dometic Auto Energy Source) - I get it working when I'm driving or when plugged into 30 AMP service at the campsite. If I plug into a standard extension cord (at my house), I don't believe that's good enough, so it tries to use the LP gas.

So, when I try to start with LP, I eventually get the red warning light that it tried to start with LP but was unable. I try over and over as the manual suggests, but to no avail. I have LP gas in the tank (my stove works fine), but I figure maybe there's a plugged gas line or the pilot doesn't light. I can here a magnito clicking, so it's trying to start. Am I on the right track?

Edited by superbeefirebird

The water going in to the water tank does not go too far in to the water distribution system. That is if it gets past the water pump, it can only go as high as the level in the tank. Besides there should be a tank overflow pipe that prevents overfilling. If you don't have a level gauge, get a flash light and shine it on the water tank. You'll be able to see the level as it fills. The main thing to do is turn on the water pump and open the hot water faucets including the shower one until water come out. This fills the empty hot water heater. It only takes a few seconds to purge the cold water lines.

The first fill of the season it is wise to put a little bleach in the tank to disinfect the water system. Also make sure that all the drain valves are closed when filling the water tank. You'll see water dripping underneath if one is open.

Once or twice a year check the gas nozzle on the refrigerator to make sure spiders have not made a web. They love the smell of the sulfur in the gas. Also particles can fall back down the chimney stack and block the nozzle. Take off the cover around the nozzle and with a crevice adapter on a vacuum, clean out all the crud. Clean with alcohol on a q-tip any thing that's left. If the gas nozzle is plugged the flame can start out the air feed collar so be careful.

The fridge doesn't use more than a couple of amps on house current. If you have the 12volt option it is only good for maintaining cooling on the road. It is not designed for starting the fridge from being off. The chemical reaction in the fridge keeps going for a few hours so I don't even bother switching to any thing until I get to my destination.

Using the fridge on gas on the road is very controversial. The flame could blow out. Although the amount of gas used is about 1,000 BTU/hr max which means it would take a week to go through one gallon of propane.

I would also vacuum out the water heater external vents also. They get crudded up with rust particles.

Good luck