Good years for the Dolphin?

Riomaggs

We are looking for a Dolphin, but want to find out if there are any production years which are better/ worse than others? We are new to these, and are hoping to find the perfect rig, for 2 adults, and a of couple dogs. Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Well for one I wouldn't limit myself to a Dolphin. There are Winnebago's and Sunrader's, Escapers and other brands that are just as good. What you looking for is a Toyota motorhome. best is to buy 86 or newer cause they will have the full float rear axle that is a requirement. Some older ones do have an upgraded axle though. 86, 87and 88 will be the 22re 4 cylinder and 89 and up will be a v6. 22re is very dependable and easy to maintain but the v6 will give you a little more power and I find the later models ride better. Best way to decide after you have done your research is to drive as many near you as you can find. All of these are old so how well it was taken care of is absolutely the most important thing. Ask for maintance records.

Linda S

Dolphin's and Winnies are made of wood framing and rot. Go with a Sunrader or an aluminum frame coach like Gulf Stream. ;)

condition is everthing each one has good points the full six lug front and rear is a prefred set up one spare fits all . the full floater rear axle is a must saftey must have. the sunraders less prone to rot leak but tend to be not as romy inside. for us we do have a dolphon we like the large rear bathroom

winnie warriors & itasca spirits are the same units. the rb321 (I321) have a sheet thin metal over the roof & under the belly. They also have a metal framing (not heavy) but enough.

I would avoid anything that is totally wood framed (stick built).

Your buying a 25 year old vehicle. "Problems" will be the rule, "Perfect" will be a very, very rare exception.

I would try and do something 87 or up, but look at everything. Almost anything you buy, will need work, in the coach and on the truck, Anticipate buying new tires, new hoses and filters, new brakes, and bringing all the maintenance up to date.

I say 87 and up, Generally speaking, these have full float rear axle, they all have Electronic Fuel injection, they have automatic tranny with aux tranny cooler, they have modern (relatively speaking) appliances.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Riomaggs,

Welcome! You’re looking for a Dolphin… Did you know that the Sea Breeze is also made by the same manufacturer? (National RV)

I have an 89 Dolphin so I hope your not looking for an unbiased answer :-)

I would look for the 89 or 90 models. In 91 they began to offer the new style. It was a plastic (of some sort) covers on the lower part of the RV. They look great! But after 22 years and a few bumps they might not… Replacing them is a huge task. The older ones are basic RV manufacturing and can easily be fixed or replaced.

Also in 89 Toyota had an update on the truck part. New V6 engine, better transmission and the best cab too.

Good Luck!

Andrew.

• 6 years later...
On 6/20/2013 at 6:40 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

winnie warriors & itasca spirits are the same units. the rb321 (I321) have a sheet thin metal over the roof & under the belly. They also have a metal framing (not heavy) but enough.

I would avoid anything that is totally wood framed (stick built).

Now that's good information to know. I did not realize that later model Winnebago's have metal framing.

That thin metal under the belly is NOT framing.  It does prevent a lot of floor damage from splashing water, thrown mud, and flying stones.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2019 at 11:24 AM, Tahoe Toyota said:

Now that's good information to know. I did not realize that later model Winnebago's have metal framing.

what bob B said.  Also the metal framing is not the greatest design but it helps.  The AC on the roof is not set into any metal.  Most units will see the AC area sagging - as long as no leaks (you will see staining on the inside  ceiling)