Maintenance checklist for newbies

lilgpsy

I have a 1990 Odyssey Santa Fe with about 73K miles. She's been sitting in my driveway for over 3 years with a battery problem and I replaced both the engine and coach batteries yesterday. She started up immediately so no engine problems...that I can tell, anyway. When I started her up, the battery light and brake lights stayed on. I have taken her to Les Schwab (franchise tire, etc shop) for a free tire and suspension check up-will probably get new tires all around. What I'd like is a checklist of DIY type things I should do before I take her out on a short trip to get back into the swing of driving and maintaining her. I must admit she's been neglected, but have a few extra $'s to get her back into tip top shape, with your help. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rennie-Lil Gpsy

Edited by lilgpsy

Battery and brake light on are a sign of a bad alternator. have the belts checked and if it still comes on you need an alternator. That's why your batteries were dead. Other than that I would get a tune up, change oil, maybe flush coolant. If you have air bag suspension which I think you do on that rig, make sure you have enough air in it before you move it around much. If they are flat it can break them ,at least 50lbs

Linda S

The alternator was replaced just before it was parked....and at a hefty fee of over $600. You've given me a good starting point. She's having a suspension check and am sure the shop will look at the airbags. I didn't realize my rig had airbags until I was reading through posts here. Thanks bunches for your input. Ren/LilGpsy

stored for 3 years;

Run it for a few days, then change all the filters and fluids (tranny and engine) You may also want to chnge the fuel filter, if its never been changed.

Belts, hoses, rubber stuff needs to be looked at.

Look at tires, sidewall cracking,

Brake light - three things 1) Check brake fluid. 2) problem with master cylinder in front or rear brakes. 3) parking brake not released fully.

Alternator light - Make sure all the wires are connected to the battery, Check voltage at battery with engine running at fast idle, should be between 14 and 15 volts.

If you've never repacked the bearings, good time to do it, check the brakes while you have the wheels off.

John Mc

88Dolphin 4 Auto

Again. Even a quick trip to a suspension place with a big camper like this can cause enough bouncing to break an air bag. Find the valves for them. Should look like a tire valve but on the outside of the camper near the rear wheels or sometimes inside the wheel well wall. If you have automatic ones the adjustment can even be on the dash. Air bags are something you need to know how to do yourself so you can check the level depending on how much stff you out in the camper. Time to learn. I use a 20 dollar 12 volt air compresser from Big Lots to adjust mine

Have alternator output checked right away. If wires are loose or alternator they put in was defective you can trash your new expensive batteries. The brake and charge light coming on is Toyota's alternator warning

Linda S

Thank you for all this great info, I just spoke with Les Schwab and they indicated the alternator is not recharging at the right rate so they're going to refer me to a place that can help,... when I had the alternator replaced I came on here and someone said something about the 'isolator' may need to be replaced when I gave pretty must the same symptoms. Any feedback on this?

The regular engine maintenance, belts and hoses has already been scheduled and the info about the airbags is news to me, and Les Schwab said they can't even fill them for me so they are referring me to another shop for that too.

This site rocks! Thank you all again. Ren/LilGpsy

Did they get under there and see if the air bags are there? If your able you can crawl under the rear and see for yourself. Looks like rubber donuts between the rear axle and the frame on each side next to the rear wheel. They are always installed for easy owner adjustment. Isolater separates coach battery from engine battery. I don't think even a bad one will stop the engine battery from charging but I might be wrong.

Linda S

Did they get under there and see if the air bags are there? If your able you can crawl under the rear and see for yourself. Looks like rubber donuts between the rear axle and the frame on each side next to the rear wheel. They are always installed for easy owner adjustment. Isolater separates coach battery from engine battery. I don't think even a bad one will stop the engine battery from charging but I might be wrong.

Linda S

Yes Linda, the airbags are there but flat as a pancake, taking her in to a new shop tomorrow to be replaced. And wondering if I should add a spring kit like I read about on here earlier today to raise the back end to avoid scraping. As well as a lesson on maintaining them for sure. Tires are good, front brakes are at 60% and rear are a bit better. They took out the alternator and tested it and it's good so wondering if maybe I have a short that's pulling power. Thanks again for all the input and help in getting my Lil Gypsy back to where she should be...on the road :)

Ren/LilGpsy

Before I leave for a road trip I check:

Oil

Antifreeze

Tire pressure

Belts

Hoses

Wipers and fluid

This is on a normal vehicle that gets driven often.

On something like an rv that sits for long periods, I'd check more stuff...like the overall condition of the tires, make sure the batteries are good, might even check out the front end suspension and steering components.

As far as your specific problems, the advice you're getting from others is good!

• 3 weeks later...

Again I'd like to give a big thanks to all that have giving me tons of great info. Got a call today that my toyhome has new airbags, a new isolater, and a new fuel door lock. Will be picking her up tomorrow and once home will schedule an oil change and hoses and belts and a new cabover window (warped and leaking), slowly but surely will be getting her back to where she deserves to be. Wish me luck! Does anyone have pics of what the window would have looked like when in good repair; inside and out? Once she's home will send updates of the bling as installed.

I'm not sure about the newer models as mine is an 1978. On my toy the axle rests on top of the leaf spring. Adding new leafs may stiffen the ride but really do nothing as far as raising the height.

I corrected my "sag" problem by fabricating new shackles. 3" of shackle height gave me about 1.5 in of body height. I made them adjustable but the 3" gives a nice ride height.

Fred: Is the rear axle mounted above the springs or is the axle SITTING on the springs. If the springs are so far gone that the axle is actually sitting on the springs they need serious help.

I want to replace my springs but am having a hard time finding a place to do the work. We had a really great independent truck shop about 50 miles away but they closed 6 months ago.

The axle is factory mounted above the springs. The axle housing rests and is secured to the top leaf.

It's a weird setup.

funny, my mechanic wanted to try an inverted axle install at one point to get around something or another; cant remember why? i ended up having something made or fabbed to avoid that decision...

Looked at that first. Made the ride height too tall. Shackle extensions or air bags are your only two options. The extensions are more durable, but don't allow customizing your ride height. I have no toilet or shower in my toy. Extensions work well for me.